Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th May 2010, 20:50   #16
BHPian

Last time I checked a few months back, my Dad's Ritz ZXi gave around 14+ Kmpl. Now, these posts have scared me. Gotta go and check.
one thought: Are all these Ritzes with the 10-11 mileage bought after April 1 (BS 4 certified)?
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Last time I checked a few months back, my Dad's Ritz ZXi gave around 14+ Kmpl. Now, these posts have scared me. Gotta go and check.
one thought: Are all these Ritzes with the 10-11 mileage bought after April 1 (BS 4 certified)?
All Ritz's were and are BS IV compliant whether bought before or after 1st April.
anupamsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:44   #18
BHPian

You should take the car to MASS or some reliable mechanic (I'm sure you know about some good mechanics as you have been driving since 15 years). Ritz petrol is known for very good FE. Mine has been constantly giving 14+ KMPL in Bangalore traffic (not bumper to bumper though) and have got 21.6 KMPL on highways. In worst of traffic, it has given 13.xx KMPL. As you are an experienced driver, you must be knowing all Dos and Don'ts to get good FE, but still quoting my post from my ownership thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

A lot depends on driving style actually. You can classify me as one of the most sedate drivers. Here's what I try to follow (listed in no particular order) -

1) I Always use Shell normal petrol
2) Never push or pull the engine
3) Be in right gear and right RPM at right speed - I change gears at around 1900 RPM
4) Use the clutch only for changing gears - I mean it
5) Accelerate slowly and decelerate slowly
6) Predict potential braking spots and decelerate in advance to avoid sudden braking (I call this technique "Predictive braking with momentum driving" ) - There are two advantages to this. I am using every bit out of the momentum that has been gained by accelerating. Avoid sudden braking. If I am not going to use the momentum, I don't accelerate that much. To visualize, I start decelerating around 100-200 meters before I have to brake (as I know potential braking spots - traffic signals, speed breakers, traffic jams), then apply the brake softly when I have to stop.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 16:30   #19
BHPian

RiTZ ZXi's have wider tyres. Can that lead to such low mileage?
anupamsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 17:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
All Ritz's were and are BS IV compliant whether bought before or after 1st April.
Umm ... not really. If you check some of the BS4 threads, it turns out that they claim the engine is BS4 "ready".
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 19:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
RiTZ ZXi's have wider tyres. Can that lead to such low mileage?
No. The figures I have posted above are for my Ritz ZXi.
Old 14th May 2010, 01:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think its normal for a petrol engined ritz to give 10kmpl in city with AC especially Zxi which has fatter tire.

It also depends upon driving style.

Official figure is 17 i guess. And we all know how they get these figures.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 22:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
No. The figures I have posted above are for my Ritz ZXi.
Hard to believe this. Even, MUL chief marketing officer hasn't claim such high FE figure.

Did you drive the car entire distance or pushed it for some kms to get those *extra* FE?
mohandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 13:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Hard to believe this. Even, MUL chief marketing officer hasn't claim such high FE figure.

Did you drive the car entire distance or pushed it for some kms to get those *extra* FE?
If you go through the Ritz ownership threads, there are people who have reported even higher FE figures than mine. If you know how the engine behaves, you can extract 100% out of the every drop of fuel.
Old 16th May 2010, 22:11   #25
BHPian

My Zxi consistently returns 14 kmpl, mostly city traffic with few open runs , AC on almost always. Have never taken it on a long highway drive ( alwaya less than 20 km) so cannot comment on highway mileage.
The engine is a gem.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 19:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Quoting another Ritz ZXi owner Nikhil from his ownership thread. His FE figures are even better than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
RX,

The car delivers between 13 to 14 (depends on my mood ) in city with full time AC. Recently went out on a 1000 km trip. The car returned a combined mileage of 22 kmpl. The 22 was highway, ghat sections and city driving.

In my earlier post I had mentioned that as 20. My apologies.

I recommend Zxi version to all prospective car buyers.

Nikhil
Old 18th May 2010, 20:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should take the car to MASS or some reliable mechanic (I'm sure you know about some good mechanics as you have been driving since 15 years). Ritz petrol is known for very good FE. Mine has been constantly giving 14+ KMPL in Bangalore traffic (not bumper to bumper though) and have got 21.6 KMPL on highways. In worst of traffic, it has given 13.xx KMPL. As you are an experienced driver, you must be knowing all Dos and Don'ts to get good FE, but still quoting my post from my ownership thread -
was with figure with the Aircon on all the time?

with the Aircon on all the time and heavy b2b traffic 10-11 is ok figure I guess.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 21:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
was with figure with the Aircon on all the time?

with the Aircon on all the time and heavy b2b traffic 10-11 is ok figure I guess.
Yes. I always drive with windows rolled up and AC ON.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:59   #29
BHPian

Add me to the list !!

My Ritz Zxi is terrible when it comes to FE. Between 10 & 11 in the city.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 11:16   #30
BHPian

Guys I am really shocked to see the mileage given by Ritz, I own a Swift VXi and it has the same Ritz engine (K-Series) in city my swift gives around 16 Km with A/C and in highway (recent Shiridi trip) I have got 20.8 Kms with A/C.

I usually do a full tank to full tank to check my mileage. Request owners to get to the Maruthi Showroom and show it to a supervisor or an advisory these guys are chief mechanic who can figure out the root cause.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote