Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th May 2010, 22:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
A) Ok. My bad. I was thinking of this particular concept wherein an AC induction motor, or your asynchronous/squirrel cage motor was converted to a DC motor for automotive applications...but that's not quite relevant here, sorry...
B) I would think so...but then again, production gasoline engines are less than that with BSFC of 0.4-0.6 lbs/hp/hr..close to what, 20-25%...? I would think there's a lot more to alternative power...TESLA, (motors, not Nikolas) is quite promising, don't you think...?
C) Perhaps upscaling was the wrong word...with around 50% thermal efficiency, 2 strokes need to make a desperate comeback...more so with mass production diesels.
D) Ah. Sorry. Forgot about that...automatics have always been a pain in the neck to decipher. As if conventional gearboxes weren't complex enough..however, slushboxes are quite inefficient despite the advantage with torque converters...maybe there should be a stickshift with a torque converter..nono, not the computer controlled man-o-matics with paddle shifts, but an H-gater with pure manual control...
E) The type C torsens with planetary gears (being currently used by Audi/VW, I think, for the non-haldex units) need them for uneven bias...1.5 or 1.75:1 or whatever...depending on design..but then again, I'm still a bit unsure as to the significance of the gear design.
b) Efficiency >80% (at full load)
c) Makes sense in a hybrid. Not really viable in small sizes.
d) Inefficiency actually comes from the torque converter. And the necessity of generating hydraulic pressure.
e) the "torque sensing" part does not use planetaries.

Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote