Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th May 2010, 17:32   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Yes yes, I got that. But the problems you listed later in the post I answered for are not problems is all I had to say because I have a Swift diesel too
so the left side brake getting really noisy, the car pulling to the right under hard braking being a recent development is all normal??

weird!!
intoxicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 18:10   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
- the pedal gets hard while braking in slow moving traffic
How hard, if its really a huge difference then you need to check for air in the system or for vacuum leak.

Quote:
- becomes rock hard when pumped a couple of times at stand still
If its with engine stopped its normal, but with engine running pedal should still allow some amount of travel. Otherwise check the above point.

Quote:
- handbrake up needs to be really pulled all the way to prevent a roll on a slope, which wasn;t the case before
Tighten the cable, it loosens up with more kms run.

Quote:
- at speeds of 60 and above, the pedal feel is normal
- at 80 - 100 brakes work flawlessly (scary thought, what if they do fail based on numerous posts bout swift brake failures considering what is happening otherwise to the brake system)
Swift brake failures?? where???

Quote:
My guess is left brake shoe damage and pressure loss to the brakes under slow speeds.
Don't get into guessing with brakes, any competent mass can fix brakes in couple of hours.

Quote:
well i have heard and learnt that M.A.S.S fills on 3.5 ltrs of engine oil and hence most times turbo issues arise.
Nowadays they are more careful and they have the circular from MUL with the right amount of oil.

Quote:
Based on suggestion by the garage I used to go and also who M.A.S.S went to, to solve the issue.. the recommended oil should be 2.8ltrs instead.
Without Filter change 2.8 to 2.9, with filter change 3.1 to 3.2 liters.

Quote:
Going to get synthetic oil from him for the engine and tell M.A.S.S not to touch the oil during 3rd service!!
Please donot shift to synthetic oil, unless you are absolutely sure the engine is fine otherwise. MASS will blame it on your idea, of non diesel specific synthetic to be used for any failures.

I would recommend Mobil Delvac MX and 5k kms oil change instead, anyday!!!

Quote:
so the left side brake getting really noisy, the car pulling to the right under hard braking being a recent development is all normal??

weird!!
Your brake system needs a good clean up and overhaul, thats all. Don't delay it though.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 18:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How hard, if its really a huge difference then you need to check for air in the system or for vacuum leak.

If its with engine stopped its normal, but with engine running pedal should still allow some amount of travel. Otherwise check the above point.
Quite some different. Rock Hard!! I know its not normal!!

Quote:
Tighten the cable, it loosens up with more kms run.
What if it is an overnight development??

Quote:
Please donot shift to synthetic oil, unless you are absolutely sure the engine is fine otherwise. MASS will blame it on your idea, of non diesel specific synthetic to be used for any failures.

I would recommend Mobil Delvac MX and 5k kms oil change instead, anyday!!!
I would want to get synthetic oil that is diesel specific

Hmm.. cool looks like I have a super sensitive side when it comes to my car and small little problems bother to like mad!!
Old 19th May 2010, 22:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New observations on the brakes bit with some experimentation
- handbrake up needs to be really pulled all the way to prevent a roll on a slope, which wasn;t the case before
- at 80 - 100 brakes work flawlessly (scary thought, what if they do fail based on numerous posts bout swift brake failures considering what is happening otherwise to the brake system)!
All this is normal is what I said, the pedal getting hard when pumped a couple of times continiously like ( on,off,on,off ) at a quick pace does make the pedal get hard, I have got it checked, My brake booster was changed because of some sound and this happens in every Swift Diesel.

Jaggu Da, Try this. At standstill, Keep on pumping the pedal like 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2 at a rapid pace, the pedal will get hard because we are not giving any time for the vaccume to build up again.

That's why i said its normal.

Last edited by humyum : 19th May 2010 at 22:43.
humyum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 11:00   #35
Team-BHP Support

Are we gonna debate or gonna show this vehicle at a competent garage?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Are we gonna debate or gonna show this vehicle at a competent garage?
This week is the week!! Along with service at 10k, there is tinkering and painting that is also needed!! so gonna make sure I speak to the right person at Mandovi!! Not taking my chances with RNS!!
Old 1st June 2010, 13:50   #37
BHPian

Default Update!! All done, going great!!

A quick update on this!!

On 26th May 2010, I gave my car for service at Mandovi Motors, Wilson Garden on recommendation of the owner of the bosch service center all our cars in the family go to. He also gave me the contact of the DY Manager there.

The experience was so so so different from RNS.
I drove the car in at 12pm and I was welcomed (& not told that its too late, bring the car back tomorrow like in RNS), show a parking spot. A security guard came up to the car, filled in details (car number, odo reading) and gave me the sheet. About 2 minutes later a service engineer came up to me, took the sheet from me and asked me what service it was and what was the problem with the car. I told him I wanted to speak to the Dy Manager. Ok, he takes me to the customer lounge and asks me to wait while he calls the manager, informs me that he would come in 5-10 minutes. So I sit in the lounge, I am offered water / tea / coffee / juice.

In less than 5 min the manager comes, I have a word with him and quote the reference. The manager takes the job sheet, my service manual and calls another service advisor, all three of us head to the car and the manager pulls her out for a test drive. Asks me what the problem is, I rattle of the issues. No unnecessary explanations given (excuses / blame the customer for issues) about the problems. Just simple observations of my observations and the feel of the car. In the 10 min test drive I made a new acquaintance who I could ask questions related to anything in the car and get satisfactory explanations (and this man knew his stuff), so hence a learning experience for me.

The TD got over and I was still sitting in the car talking to the manager about tyres, rims, filters, after market accessories and the pros and cons of all of them. So a good talk later, I show also mention the body work that needed to be done.
This is the thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ucky-help.html (Left Side Unlucky?? Help with)

He calls the surveyor, who comes takes pics, asks me a few questions and goes away. In a couple of minutes time I got a rough estimate of the damage to my pocket in total (including service, upgrade to synthetic oil, etc.. and after insurance on body and painting). A promise given to deliver the car by Friday 28th May 2010.

So with that I leave and head back to office. I managed transportation for the next 3 days as I couldn't pick up the car on Friday. Instead went on Saturday (half day at work), all excited and kicked about picking up my car!!

Reception was the same, was taken to the car which was parked ready for delivery. Went up to the car, checked out the left side of the car (the damaged portion that was tinkered and painted) and was not happy with the job done. Was not clean and was not thoroughly scraped before repainting!! The Dy Manager was not present that day, but the service advisor heard everything I had to say about the paint job, called the paint shop incharge and told him to redo it!! The incharge called the painter and explained and then asked me to explain!! And what do you know, I was told to come on Monday!!

Being a little upset and cranky I asked for a car to drive, and they gave me a spare (old petrol swift which used to be a test drive car)!!!

Anyways, on Monday evening I went to pick up and car and I am happy happy!! Clean paint job, great cleanup after the painting and the test drive has all issues solved.

Brake pads replaced under warranty, the synthetic oil (yes after flushing the engine) has the car purring.

The intercooler was choked due to excess oil the last time, flushed out and oil filled in as per standards. 3.1L with filter.

The suspension had a problem that was taken care of and the car runs smoother than ever!!
Old 1st June 2010, 22:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
New observations on the brakes bit with some experimentation
- at 80 - 100 brakes work flawlessly (scary thought, what if they do fail based on numerous posts bout swift brake failures considering what is happening otherwise to the brake system)

anyone with a thought or idea of what has happened??
My guess is left brake shoe damage and pressure loss to the brakes under slow speeds.

well i have heard and learnt that M.A.S.S fills on 3.5 ltrs of engine oil and hence most times turbo issues arise.

Based on suggestion by the garage I used to go and also who M.A.S.S went to, to solve the issue.. the recommended oil should be 2.8ltrs instead.

Going to get synthetic oil from him for the engine and tell M.A.S.S not to touch the oil during 3rd service!!

For brake issue please refer the following document and do a self check. Please do not neglect since a malfunctioning brake booster is a very dangerous thing.

Hand brakeis not actuated hydraulically... but through a cable which may have elongated over time. Get it checked asap if you are habituated to using handbrake. Till that time leave the vehicle in gear (1st if parked uphill and reverse if parked downhill) when you park.

For oil level... the most reliable method is dip stick. Make sure you are parked on level ground when you do that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf brake05.pdf (607.6 KB, 195 views)
XH_Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 13:31   #39
BHPian

Default Re: Swift Vdi issues at 9,400 kms!!

realized this post was long forgotten..

Car is due for service again with the odo hitting 20k and a small list of complains
- general body rattle (more interior than exterior, thanks to the ICE which I have been fine tuning from all the learning)
- jerky acceleration due to cable play
- clutch might have a problem, gear shifts are not smooth
- tyre rotation needs to be done, hasn't been done even once since i got the car
- both horns seem to have developed sore throats (one highway set - regular horns, one city set - roots windtones)
- filter is choked, quite a bit of driving in dusty conditions, thinking of replacing with K&N / green air replacement filters
- grounding problems for the headlight and highway horn set

The more i drive the car, the more i fall in love with her.. 15kmpl in the city and about 20kmpl on the highway under 100kmph. Small enough to squeeze into small parking spots, powerful enough to take on the likes of Laura's (at speeds of 170kmph).
Small package, big heart!!