Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th May 2010, 11:19   #1
BHPian

Default Swift Vdi issues at 9,400 kms!!

Hi to all T-Bhpians,
Was just reading up about the whole 'Skoda' deal and realized its not only 'Skoda' as a automotive manufacturer but most automotive manufacturers in our country. They create products enmasse and pass them off to the consumers without what I believe is a really rigorous and detailed QC.

I had posted earlier about my Swift Vdi which had a turbo failure at 5.5k.. post as follows
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-5k-clock.html (Swift Vdi - Failed turbo under 5K on the clock!!)

The consumer "me" was accused of doing everything wrong and hence the issue with the turbo. Finally after showing them we weren't the average car users, they did examine and accepted a turbo fault.

Now 9400kms on the odo and some more new issues that I need to point out to Maruti before the consumer "me" is again accused of creating problems with the car.
- I have major issues with the fuel injectors. invariably in the 4th and 5th gear the car struggles to move for a couple of seconds (complete loss of power). It takes some hard pumping on accelerator a couple of times for the engine to kick back into power mode. Initially I thought the issue was because of hard acceleration at high speeds, but then its not just under hard acceleration but under normal acceleration as well that I have these issues. Diagnoses of it being an injector problem comes from the fact that there are other Swift D users with same issues who have been more aggressive and fought their way through warranty to get injectors to cars changed. And issue temporarily solved.
- Braking suddenly has become a nightmare. Hard braking results in the my car running right (the left wheel runs ahead of the right wheel) despite holding the steering in a straight line. Three days ago it poured in Bangalore and ever since, I can hear and feel scary loud rubbing, grinding sounds from the front left wheel under hard braking (I know that the brake pads are ceramics on the swift and hence some sound is normal, but this is insane, people outside the car wonder what I am doing)
- Hard acceleration drives the car automatically to the left side, I need to hold on to the steering really tight to make sure this does not happen. Why the hard acceleration, sometimes in traffic you wanna get up ahead of a driver who is out to have a stroll in the park.
- I drive at an avg of 40kmph in the city, without sudden bursts of speed unless really required. I have driven an Indica Turbo and a Verna crdi and both cars have returns great mileage in the city with my driving style. This car on the other hand refuses to return anything more than 13.5 - 14kmpl. My zen gave me that much with the AC on all the time. I know that the car is capable of delivering 16kmpl in the city with AC.
- Engine Noise still hasn;t reduced. The garage (Bosch Service) I used to give my Zen to for service has also verified fuel injector and noisy engine issues. The owner drives a Swift D as well and he says that it is noisy as well. The issue he has identified is bad burning of diesel and hence the uneven sound. Sometimes my car sounds like a jeep or a truck as well.
- Drivetrain noise, its normal for the diff to make noise in reverse gear. But what about in the 1st and 2nd gears? I don't think it should make a noise in these two gears. The issue wasn't there till 6800 odd kms. It started after.

Now all this put together on India's highest selling car only says one thing according to me. Demand is higher than supply and hence the failure in QC?? Or am I just one of the few unlucky people who got a car with a fair share of issues??

Coming back to where I started from, are we Indian Consumers so gullible that we take whatever we get because compared to these giants we are barely anything. One car sale going wrong may not make a difference to them or we take what we get and say 'well we are in India and this is how **** happens'!! I am seriously thinking on giving Maruti one chance to rectify this or maybe join the bandwagon of so many other unsatisfied consumers who have filed a court case.
intoxicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Before anything else, apart from RNS did you try any other dealer or authorized workshop to resolve these issues?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:50   #3
BHPian

I have lot of knocking sound coming from Engine inside the driver cabin. I also took the car from RNS. After much negotiation without making heated arguments, i did a thorough check of the engine along with the Service Guys. Checked the fuel injectors. Everything is firing as expected. But, still i have the engine sound. Just living with this. Not sure what to do.
blackstallion76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

The knocking sound only thing you can try is to bleed the diesel filter, should come down a bit. And this sound will reduce only by 10-15k kms of running, when the engine actually settles in. Unlike petrols these diesel engines take a loooong time to break in.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Before anything else, apart from RNS did you try any other dealer or authorized workshop to resolve these issues?
I have not tried any other dealer, but on recommendation I will be giving my car to Mandovi for the 3rd service through recommendation!!
intoxicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:34   #6
BHPian

Jaggu, how to bleed the fuel filter?

I have the same issue of the engine knocking when holding the A pedal at around 1600-1800 rpm when the engine is hot. Typically happens when I am trying to accelerate in the 1st and 2nd gear. I asked the guys at Mandovi but they had no clue. I even raised a query about the procedure with Maruti by writing them a mail but they re directed me to the service centre. Those folks wanted to keep the car for one day for testing which I politely refused. All through out they said it is common for all swift diesels and that my car was relatively smoother.

There is no drop in performance otherwise. The car has done 25K and has been serviced every 5K with oil change (Mobil1 delvac).
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

It's not a DIY, you have to take it to a garage and then access the filter which sits behind the battery. There is a drain plug for water which has to be removed to bleed out the katchra and any air/water etc. This generally clears up the kat kat sound at certain rpms during acceleration.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It's not a DIY, you have to take it to a garage and then access the filter which sits behind the battery. There is a drain plug for water which has to be removed to bleed out the katchra and any air/water etc. This generally clears up the kat kat sound at certain rpms during acceleration.
Thanks for the info. I will see if I can get it done over the weekend. Otherwise I will head to the service centre where you get your car serviced.
thirst4torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 13:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
- I have major issues with the fuel injectors. invariably in the 4th and 5th gear the car struggles to move for a couple of seconds (complete loss of power). It takes some hard pumping on accelerator a couple of times for the engine to kick back into power mode. Initially I thought the issue was because of hard acceleration at high speeds, but then its not just under hard acceleration but under normal acceleration as well that I have these issues. Diagnoses of it being an injector problem comes from the fact that there are other Swift D users with same issues who have been more aggressive and fought their way through warranty to get injectors to cars changed. And issue temporarily solved.....
I had faced the exact same problem with my Swift D. I did understand that it was an injector problem. The SA at RNS Yeshwantpur said he'll check all the injectors and clean them. Never had a problem since then.

This was during my 3rd service at 10k kms. Right now I have logged 40k without any problems (touchwood)
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 13:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
- Hard acceleration drives the car automatically to the left side, I need to hold on to the steering really tight to make sure this does not happen. Why the hard acceleration, sometimes in traffic you wanna get up ahead of a driver who is out to have a stroll in the park.
This seems to be very similar to torque-steer. Can you please verify if other Swifts also behave in the same manner? Maybe you could check the test drive cars at the showrooms.
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had posted earlier about my Swift Vdi which had a turbo failure at 5.5k.. post as follows
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-5k-clock.html (Swift Vdi - Failed turbo under 5K on the clock!!)
I remember reading somewhere in this forum that Swift D has the cheapest turbo out of the cars using Fiat 1.3 MJD engine in India. The most expensive ones used to be in the initial lot of Palio MJDs.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I remember reading somewhere in this forum that Swift D has the cheapest turbo out of the cars using Fiat 1.3 MJD engine in India. The most expensive ones used to be in the initial lot of Palio MJDs.
AFAIK, even the Fiat 500, which sports the 1.3 MJD uses a Borg Warner turbo. The Swift, Palio, Punto use the same. I don't understand 'cheapest' here. You compared the prices of all the turbos?
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 15:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
AFAIK, even the Fiat 500, which sports the 1.3 MJD uses a Borg Warner turbo. The Swift, Palio, Punto use the same. I don't understand 'cheapest' here. You compared the prices of all the turbos?

here you go

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1842249 (Pete's for Linea and Grande Punto)

I don't know the authenticity of the information, you can ask Dr. Pullockaran himself.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:46   #14
Team-BHP Support

Its KKK or something and no it ain't a cheapo product, price diff might be due to better vendor arrangements at MUL end.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Want to correct myself, that same turbo is being used in other cars too, as it is stated in the other post by drpullockaran.

Initially the price was higher, that's what can be inferred.