Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd January 2014, 12:30   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Getz GL - Rusty silencer causing worries! HELP!

I am in the same boat with rusted silencer middle and the rear.
Car is 6 years old

Need HELP
Trident Hyundai is charging approx 24K
Is there any good welding shop near Sarjapur ORR or HSR where I can get this job done or someone has already done

As of now car is used by better half and it gives sporty sound when accelerated. People do peep in to find out who is driving with the car
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 00:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

hey can you post the image of the silencer. they are charging that much for the cat con.

if the pipe and muffler are the culprit. just change those. all you need is a good weilder.

Shop for parts at local kabadi. i am sure you have those who buys insurance wrecked cars.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Add me to this club. My 2006 Getz with 78k on the odo has started sounding like it has an FFE. I need to check underneath to see the extent of damage.

Is there any risk of damage that can be caused by hot exhaust gases escaping somewhere in the underbody area? I would be driving the car for a few hundred kms in the city.

Does anyone know how much an RRP exhaust system costs? I'm torn between either doing a standard Hyundai fix, or use this opportunity to get a subset of the RRP PowerDrive package installed.
arunphilip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 21:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

Does anyone know how much an RRP exhaust system costs? I'm torn between either doing a standard Hyundai fix, or use this opportunity to get a subset of the RRP PowerDrive package installed.
The RRP exhaust full set would cost around 20k. You will need to check the exact costs with them since they have an option of stainless steel and ceramic coated pipes now which are more expensive. They have a cat-back set up as well.
If your Getz pipe is broken at one spot., better option would be change that half at Hyundai or with a non genuine make.
RRP will make sense if you are not going to dispose the car anytime soon.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 14:53   #20
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Red face Rusty silencer begins to mimic a FFE on an i10

The silencer on our 5 & 1/2 year old i10 1.1 iRDE with < 40k km on the odo (but driven mostly for short & medium distances in city conditions) has developed a noticeably sporty note recently. It's actually a bit enjoyable (somewhat like a free flow exhaust with aural effects) as it goes vrooom vrooooooooom when revved.

At the moment, the sound can be noted inside the cabin but cannot be heard easily from the outside. I bet it is going to worsen over a period of time and become unbearably loud on the outside as well.

I'm attaching a rather unclear photo. It was taken by the 3M folks who coated the underbody of the car - it was they who warned me sometime ago that the silencer is rusting away and may need to be replaced in the future. The straight pipe near the clamp seems to be the most badly affected portion from this picture:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  70.1 KB

What kind of repair bill am I looking at, if it were to be replaced at a HASS - would they replace the entire assembly? Is it possible to repair the silencer satisfactorily at a cheaper rate from outside, and how long will it hold together if done in this manner?

Last edited by RSR : 20th November 2014 at 15:10.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 07:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rusty silencer begins to mimic a FFE on an i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
if it were to be replaced at a HASS - would they replace the entire assembly? Is it possible to repair the silencer satisfactorily at a cheaper rate from outside
Maybe because the city you are living in is coastal hence such parts tend to rust early, even with undercoating the extent of protection is only so much. In neutral climate cars can run for much more without rust issues.

Now coming to the issue, the changed engine rev noise 'may' probably be from the muffler than the pipe. Of course nothing can be said until the mechanics do a thorough run-down of the assembly using a torch. If there is chipping/flaking or even holes in the pipe, it needs attention immediately. The exhaust will be at its best when the pipes are smooth and airtight internally, the catalytic converter clog free & the muffler doing its job well.

The replacement job itself, if at all necessary can be done both by Hyundai and outside mechanics. Genuine parts are recommended though and the job itself is like precision plumbing where pipe sealants have to be used perfectly, just enough to trap the gases from leaking & not so much that it blocks the pipe inside.

If there are no driving symptoms of a worn exhaust i.e poor pickup, loss of FE & or very audible exhaust blow then it may not need immediate attention. Its advisable to first let HASS have a look at it and suggest what needs repair.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 12:57   #22
BHPian

I have run into the same issue with my 2007 Getz which has done almost 97K Kms now. Had got the end pipe fixed by welding a couple of months ago but now the drum like part has holes in it and has started giving producing more noise. Hyundai service center has quoted approx 20K for replacement of the last and middle part of the silencer. I am trying to find a local mechanic who can fabricate the same within 5K
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 12:44   #23
BHPian

Bumping up old thread... I have the same problem in my Santro. Can anyone suggest a good shop in JC Road who can do this work. I looked up Bagrecha automobiles and couldnt find it.
mohan41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 10:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Bumping up old thread... I have the same problem in my Santro. Can anyone suggest a good shop in JC Road who can do this work. I looked up Bagrecha automobiles and couldnt find it.
I had the problem of a rusted silencer in my Getz, and I took it to Hyundai's service centre (at Hulimavu) just to get an estimate, before getting it patched outside. I was fully expecting them to recommend a replacement of part of the exhaust system. However, surprisingly they took a look at it and said that it would be cheaper and practical to just patch it with a weld, rather than do an expensive replacement, given the age of the car. Since I had to get a general service done, I let them do this, and it cost some hundred rupees. I could have shaved off another hundred or so by getting the welding done elsewhere, but the sheer hassle-free experience was worth it to me.

So, give Hyundai's service centre a shot before seeking out an FNG, if you're not too keen on doing the leg work of identifying a reliable person. Of course, your mileage might vary and Hyundai might end up recommending a replacement instead of a weld repair.
arunphilip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 14:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I had the problem of a rusted silencer in my Getz, and I took it to Hyundai's service centre (at Hulimavu) just to get an estimate, before getting it patched outside. I was fully expecting them to recommend a replacement of part of the exhaust system. However, surprisingly they took a look at it and said that it would be cheaper and practical to just patch it with a weld, rather than do an expensive replacement, given the age of the car. Since I had to get a general service done, I let them do this, and it cost some hundred rupees. I could have shaved off another hundred or so by getting the welding done elsewhere, but the sheer hassle-free experience was worth it to me.

So, give Hyundai's service centre a shot before seeking out an FNG, if you're not too keen on doing the leg work of identifying a reliable person. Of course, your mileage might vary and Hyundai might end up recommending a replacement instead of a weld repair.
I have given the car for service. As per the mechanic, the exhaust centre pipe is damaged. Any idea if the centre pipe leakage can be welded? There was a leak in the end pipe and I had got it welded earlier.

Edit: As per the mechanic, it can be welded but Trident wont do it. I need to get it done outside. Ignore the query above. Thanks

Last edited by PatienceWins : 27th March 2017 at 14:25.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote