Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd May 2010, 13:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
15 years old? How many kms on the odo?
Its done about 1.4L on the Odo.

Renewing the RC book shouldn't be so hard. The car is in excellent shape with all documents.
Quote:
Q. Is the private Car / two wheeler owner required fitness certificate ?

Ans. Yes, the private vehicle fitness is granted for 15 years initially at the time of registration and then renewed it's fitness for next 5 years subsequently.

Q. What are the documents required for fitness of new vehicle ?

A. Following documents are required for fitness of new vehicle.
Application From 20
Sales certification Form 21
Valid insurance Certificate
LOI from S.T.A. ( for commercial passernger vehicles)
Temporary registration if any
Road worthy Certificate in form 22 from the manufacturers for roadworthiness and pollution under control
Prescribed Fees
To this we can also add some agent fees and the job is done.

Update managed to do nothing this weekend. Scheduled a tow truck to pick up the car tomorrow morning at 10.

Now stuck between 2 options. My local mech that about or Nexus maruti at new Bel road. If someone could advice me on this I would be really grateful to them.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 17:51   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I would need to tow the car. I called up some towing guys from the yellow pages their rates were atrocious! One of the numbers I called wanted 1.5k to tow the car for 5-7KM.
The small shops will tow for free if you give them the business. No truck but just rope and another car. Just schedule it during off peak hours.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 17:59   #33
BHPian

please ensure that they clean the radiator thoroughly as this sludge will have definitely made its way into the radiator
manek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 19:07   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu
Have you ever given your mighty DDIS to nexus?
Unfortunately never had the patience to drive her over to the other side of the town since RNS was doing just about ok with her. Why do you ask? if you want contact in Nexus, speak to Sachin the manager he will surely remember my car, if not me. He is a good guy.

EDIT: i saw the reason, speak to Sachin and get an estimate. They should be able to help you with tow also. I would recommend a reputed MASS for engine jobs. Insist on genuine parts also, MGP is fine though.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th May 2010 at 19:09.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 19:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The closest place is Nexus at New BEL Road. I have never been to nexus but bhpian rjstyles69 seems to be happy with them.
cap' no " seem " I am happy with them. Have sent you a PM and go ahead and speak to Sachin. I hope they wont dis-appoint you.

Quote:
I would need to tow the car. I called up some towing guys from the yellow pages their rates were atrocious! One of the numbers I called wanted 1.5k to tow the car for 5-7KM.
Now why would you want to use some towing guys services ? Dont you know of anyone who owns a SUV/Car and could help you tow the car or has the car already reached NEXUS ?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 20:10   #36
BHPian

more than 24 hours and no updated from "CaptainSlow",
seems he's busy arranging parts and getting it fixed, lets hope he updates us soon.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 13:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

rjstyles69
I saw your PM a little too late.
On Sunday I went to nexus but sachin wasn't around. Monday morning I grew really impatient. And the tow car had already come.
I had no choice but to take it to my local mech.

For towing I called Breakdown 365. These guys towed my car using chains tied to a Maruti van! Very risky and dangerous!
If you ever end up calling these guys please ask them to bring a proper tow car/truck.
Charges - 700.

Yes I know I could have called someone with an SUV/MUV but I thought breakdown365 would bring a proper tow car/truck and wanted my car to my safe. I was so wrong! They bring a old maruti van and use a chain to pull my car.

Monday whole day I was with the mech looking at the engine.
When we finally opened up the engine head everyone at the shop was astonished to see the engine in such good shape. (This was the first time we were opening up the engine on my esteem)
They tell me that the engine is good for another 40K and only then the Pistons/rings valve and springs might need replacement/overhaul.

I myself looked at the Piston head. There wasn't any oil leak and not too much carbon deposits.
It looked like a engine that had run only 60-70K.

They told me that the other engines they opened up which had run half of what mine had used to be in such bad condition filled with carbon.
Like everyone here had said the head gasket was gone and needed to be replaced.
Oh and I'm still on my original clutch plates. 1.4L on the odo and still they doing good. No problems with them. Again they tell me its good for another 20-40K and when the engine needs an overhaul then you can replace the clutch.

Note-
The whole engine wasn't removed. Just the head and Cylinder gasket were replaced.
They cleaned up as much as they could.

They did not have the 8 Valve Gasket that my car need. (they had the newer 16 valve engine gasket - Type -3 esteem)
This took another day to get the part.

Yesterday they got the gasket and started putting the engine back together. Some water tubes from the Rad to the engine also needed to be changed as they had become weak. Everything was ready but the Radiator had gone for an overhaul and cleaning it wasn't back until 6pm. Called it a day and decided to fix it up the next morning.

Today morning everything was put back. I cross my fingers hoping that she starts!
One turn of the key and vrroooom!! she springs back to life!
I was smiling like a monkey that had just got a banana! Oh man she was back!

Here are the parts of what was changed

Cylinder gasket - 783
Tensiner assembly - 758
Rad Cap - 75
Hose Rad Type I - 80
Hose Rad Type O - 68
Ruuber tank - 2

Total Parts - 1765
Vat - 238

Labour Charges
Head gasket replacement - 900
Rad removal + fixing charges - 100
Rad Overhuall + cleaning - 400
Rad top replacement - 350

Total 1750

Total - 3754

The Rad has been filled with water for now. They told me to run the engine for a while and then get this replaced in 2 days as there might be some oil left in the rad and in the engine where the water circulates.

As for the engine oil -
They tell me that there is no need to change the engine oil.
This is something I find really disturbing! If you guys remember I had put in some engine oil when saw the water+coolant mix leak?
These guys have drained the Engine oil and checked it and found it to be ok and put the same thing back after the engine job.

They tell me that engine oil is fine. But I think the engine oil and oil filter also need to be changed right ?

This Saturday I would need to get the water replaced with coolant, I was thinking of changing the engine oil and oil filter also when I go in for this?
I will be doing this at Nexus with Sahin around. Enough of my local mech.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Captain Slow : 26th May 2010 at 13:45.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:42   #38
BHPian

Default Fortune favours the brave!

Quote:
I was smiling like a monkey that had just got a banana! Oh man she was back!

The Rad has been filled with water for now. They told me to run the engine for a while and then get this replaced in 2 days as there might be some oil left in the rad and in the engine where the water circulates.

They tell me that engine oil is fine. But I think the engine oil and oil filter also need to be changed right ?

This Saturday I would need to get the water replaced with coolant, I was thinking of changing the engine oil and oil filter also when I go in for this?
Pictures please - of the monkey with the banana

Great to hear that she is back in shape!

Not changing the oil will be like "penny-wise, pound-foolish"...

Go ahead and change the oil, oil filter - and have a peaceful sleep
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 14:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We start moving this time I'm driving at 20-30KM i can hear all kinds hissing sounds and also the burning smell increase.

Thats it for me, We abandon the car and came home!
This good decision saved you a lot of bucks, Cap'n !

Glad you got your ride back, you can now oil the engine up and be all set to go
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 18:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Please do flush the oil completely and change along with new filters.

How is the drive like?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 11:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

vrprabhu
One car loving monkey to another. Go look at the mirror :P

Alec,
Yes engine flush along with oil+filter and the coolant change is due.

She seems to run fine but now I feel that the smoothness that was there before this happened is gone.
The engine just doesn't feel as smooth and refined as it did.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
vrprabhu
One car loving monkey to another. Go look at the mirror :P

The engine just doesn't feel as smooth and refined as it did.
I did - and I am not sure whether I liked what I saw... hehehehe

This is a new area to me - the engine, I mean.

After everything was fixed / fitted, how did they check the tolerances?

I think it is basically for the purpose of bedding the (new) engine and allow the tolerances to be adjusted that 'running in' is advised - but what exactly is to be done after the engine has been opened and serviced seems to be a grey area. So let us call for the feedback / knowledge of the members, and hope I and you can gain from it.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 17:09   #43
BHPian

This is the beauty of good old Esteem. Super cheap to maintain, and ever reliable.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 17:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the removal of the thermostat valve- it is not advised and is against the long term health of the engine.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 19:22   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Did they figure out why it overheated in the first place. Is your thermostat OK? Is your temp guage OK?

Try synthetic oil for engine smoothness.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote