Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th May 2010, 14:50   #1
BHPian

Default Innova AC problems

I'm the kind of a guy who swears by the rock solid quality of Toyota products having 3 of them in my garage. However the repeated AC problems on my 4 year Innova and the exorbitant repair costs have got me thinking again.

A few months ago, while on the Mumbai Pune expressway my Innova's AC failed and I had to drive down all the way in the unbearable heat. A visit to the dealers workshop (Shinrai Toyota) detected that there was a problem with the evaporater and would have to be replaced. Total cost of repairs - Rs.30,000/-. However, even after doing that the cooling was not completely satisfactory all the time and then yesterday, the cooling stopped all together.

Again I sent it to the dealer and was told that the compressor had failed and will cost Rs.42000 to replace. I told them that i had just spent Rs.30,000 on the cars AC a few months ago, but he said that this was a different problem hence if I want it rectified, I will have to replace the compressor.

Any suggestions what to do now?
manishk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 15:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Your car being out of warranty you can try one of the smaller car AC repair shops.
I think they can fix it for you for under 5-6K at max.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 17:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Your car being out of warranty you can try one of the smaller car AC repair shops.
I think they can fix it for you for under 5-6K at max.
I agree. You should contact other Car AC repair shop. If Compressor is the real culprit than I guess you will have to shell out more money and earlier part changed by Toyota dealer might have been unnecessarily changed without going into the exact cause of AC failure.
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 01:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

You should contact Toyota and explain them your concern. I am sure that they will help in some way-you can explain the fact that you were never happy with the work done on the car in the first place.

About roadside work - My experience with "Jugaad" has been pretty poor. good for people who have a lot of time to maintain things. Most of the roadside mechanics indulge in many a shortcuts to finish the job and over time the car turns in an unreliable masterpiece.

- Electicals failing because on a previous repair the fuse put was what the mechanic found and not the right rating.
- Belts failing because they were never new in the first place.
- Piping failing because it was bent and put too close to the engine
- Reflectors turning pale because the bulbs put were too high a rating

Have been through all this and have no patience left to do it anymore.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 27th May 2010 at 01:49.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 13:19   #5
BHPian

I did inquire at a reputed AC workshop where i send my car sometimes - he said the compressor itself is for 14,000/- but the other parts that need to be changed with it, depending on the fault, could take the cost upto 35,000/-. Anyone know if this can be covered under insurance?

Have asked the dealer to talk to the company but he said it wont be of any use since they're two different faults.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

evaporator or cooling coil fails when it is either leaky or blocked.
Blockage can be easily removed with a high pressure compressor by blowing nitrogen or normal air.
was that the problem? where is the old coil? I think you have been taken for a ride the first time.

what other parts. get a quote with breakup of each parts. and post.

Ask what exactly is the problem with the compressor.?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 14:25   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am very surprised! How many kms up on your Innova? An evaporator & a compressor failing within a couple of months should set the alarm bells ringing. Get a second opinion from an expert. I have been using 4 seasons (Tardeo) for the air-con work of all my cars for over 10 years. Their a/c work is A+.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:43   #8
BHPian

I have only got a verbal quote yet from the dealer over the phone. Still waiting for them to send me a written quote. Meanwhile, had also written to the company and they said they will be talking to the dealer about it.

@GTO - I was a regular at Four Seasons till the main guy D.K. Rao was there. Once he left things took a downturn and was cheated a couple of times. I now mostly use the authorised dealers or Royal AC at Babulnath if its something minor.