Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2010, 15:06   #1
BHPian
 
abhaybakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 177
Thanked: 71 Times
Smile Sluggish Swift? Solution in here!

I know many Swift owners who complain of unexplained slugishness of their cars on some days. Well, even I was victim of that. After trying out millions of thing, it seems now I have resolved this. Read ahead...

After 6 months I have found resolution to the problem of frequent slugishness of my Swift.

Just punish her by driving in 3rd gear for 5-6 KM with throttle almost grounded to floor (do this early morning on highway to avoid breaking). It will be a heart breaking thing to do but you need to do it for her good.

After doing this couple of weeks back, my Swift has been delight to drive till now. Engine has gone very very smooth.

I think this is due to ECU modifying various things and setting up a combination for very high speed driving which will be very smooth for normal speed.

Try and let me know your experiences.

Last edited by abhaybakshi : 29th May 2010 at 15:13.
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:14   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default

ECU modifying things?
Somehow i feel all this is a hogwash and it is usually all in the head.
I may be wrong
other swift owners please correct me if i am wrong.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:16   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

But isnt the ECU forever in the learning mode? which means if you give it the stick quite frequently it is bound to feel faster. Correct me if i am wrong guys.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:19   #4
BHPian
 
abhaybakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 177
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
But isnt the ECU forever in the learning mode? which means if you give it the stick quite frequently it is bound to feel faster. Correct me if i am wrong guys.
I think after reving the engine like that, ECU adjusted itself for spirited driving style. So it is bound to feel silky smooth on normal speed.
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:22   #5
CPH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 577
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

It does make a difference, but this has got nothing to do with the long term fuel trim.

The reason why it works is the cocking up because then engine is not running hot enough in most driving conditions.

Giving it a regular B road blast doesn't do any harm. All the engine neds is water, enough good quality oil and should be at operating temperature.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,840
Thanked: 7,225 Times
Default

I think that if ECUs really adjusted to our driving style, then this would be a big selling point and would be shouted out in the advertisements! There are auto gearboxes that do that on higher-range vehicles, and have been for some time: I have no idea if the ECU on a Swift does it, but I have strong doubts.

Such things as giving a city car a good long run have always seemed to ease up an engine and improve its performance. I notice that, after a few journeys, a good revving in 2nd produces a cloud of black smoke from my Swift: I guess that something is getting a clean out?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:49   #7
CPH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 577
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that if ECUs really adjusted to our driving style, then this would be a big selling point and would be shouted out in the advertisements! There are auto gearboxes that do that on higher-range vehicles, and have been for some time: I have no idea if the ECU on a Swift does it, but I have strong doubts.

Such things as giving a city car a good long run have always seemed to ease up an engine and improve its performance. I notice that, after a few journeys, a good revving in 2nd produces a cloud of black smoke from my Swift: I guess that something is getting a clean out?
It doesn't adjust the long term fuel trim to the driving style rather than adjusting it to the ambient conditions. The short term fuel trim constantly adjusts and takes this information over to the long term fuel trim as changes occur repeatedly.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 18:21   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,246
Thanked: 335 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I know many Swift owners who complain of unexplained slugishness of their cars on some days. Well, even I was victim of that. After trying out millions of thing, it seems now I have resolved this. Read ahead...

After 6 months I have found resolution to the problem of frequent slugishness of my Swift.

Just punish her by driving in 3rd gear for 5-6 KM with throttle almost grounded to floor (do this early morning on highway to avoid breaking). It will be a heart breaking thing to do but you need to do it for her good.

After doing this couple of weeks back, my Swift has been delight to drive till now. Engine has gone very very smooth.

I think this is due to ECU modifying various things and setting up a combination for very high speed driving which will be very smooth for normal speed.

Try and let me know your experiences.
Hi Abhay,

Was just thinking, instead of possibly putting our lives and those around us at risk by driving on third gear for 5-6 kms and that too with the throttle almost grounded to the floor (I hope you understand the speed you will be carrying); can't we just rev the engine to a certain RMP for a bit before we start for the day and hopefully lead to the ECU going into sprited driving mode? Or will the ECU only react when actually driven in gear?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 20:03   #9
BHPian
 
abhaybakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 177
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Hi Epic,

Idea is to rev the engine. So it's fine whatever way you do it. But instead of wasting fuel by not moving anywhere, it is always better to drive. If speed seems too much then you can do it in second gear as well. That is fine too.
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 22:49   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

The ECU would not modify anything if you revv her up in neutral - there is no load, and hence you will only be wasting petrol. This is akin to what someone tried on their Diesel swift - there was no turbo boost when revved in neutral - simply because the ECU is smart enough
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 01:32   #11
BHPian
 
Roy.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 484
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
.......
Just punish her by driving in 3rd gear for 5-6 KM with throttle almost grounded to floor.............
..........
Try and let me know your experiences.
Always works. I have been driving pretty slow for a couple of months and now feel that a toddler on a tricycle could beat my Vxi. Unfortunately, I am not an early riser and most roads in Speedbumpaluru just do not offer an opportunity to give the engine the pedal to metal treatment. in any case 5-6km of full throttle in 3rd is quite hair raising. I normally do this on the highway during my outstation trips.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 06:40   #12
BHPian
 
josepeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 415
Thanked: 547 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Abhay,

Was just thinking, instead of possibly putting our lives and those around us at risk by driving on third gear for 5-6 kms and that too with the throttle almost grounded to the floor (I hope you understand the speed you will be carrying); can't we just rev the engine to a certain RMP for a bit before we start for the day and hopefully lead to the ECU going into sprited driving mode? Or will the ECU only react when actually driven in gear?
Comon Epic, be a sport!

Abhay has found us the perfect excuse to rip! Let's not get into investigations here...Lets enjoy the tip religiously.
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 06:56   #13
BHPian
 
freewheelburnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 272
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Have noticed something similar on my brother's palio.He had bought it used.The car was driven sedately by previous owner.The car felt sluggish.After 2 or 3 months we tried an ECU reset.Thereafter drove the car really fast for some time.After that the car performance improved drastically!
freewheelburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 16:59   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,735
Thanked: 89,306 Times
Default

I don't why & how, but am entirely convinced of this : An engine that has been high-revved by its driver always feels sharper & revv-happier. I've driven some of my relatives / friends car that have never gone south of 3,000 rpms in 50,000 kms, and they felt horrid to drive! Compared to that, the engines under the hoods of my cars have always felt superior to other examples (of the same make / model).

As long as you have the right oil, and have reached the optimal engine operating temp, I guess its great for your car to workout. Plus, its an awful lot of fun too
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 17:05   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't why & how, but am entirely convinced of this : An engine that has been high-revved by its driver always feels sharper & revv-happier. I've driven some of my relatives / friends car that have never gone south of 3,000 rpms in 50,000 kms, and they felt horrid to drive! Compared to that, the engines under the hoods of my cars have always felt superior to other examples (of the same make / model).

As long as you have the right oil, and have reached the optimal engine operating temp, I guess its great for your car to workout. Plus, its an awful lot of fun too
+1 to that. Some cars which were never driven beyond 3K rpms feels little rough to drive and they seem to lack power at higher rpms. They may feel better is you drive it hard for some time though.

I don't have such a problem with my engine as I take her to that 5K rpm region and beyond almost everyday.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team-Bhp flooding your email? Solution posted here! Sahil Shifting gears 30 4th September 2017 21:04
Sluggish Swift, Edit: And other swift speed related queries pillainp Technical Stuff 90 8th September 2009 21:27
Sluggish Brakes on my Accent libre sito Technical Stuff 15 8th October 2004 19:19
Why is Suzuki India so sluggish? SLK The Indian Car Scene 7 10th June 2004 15:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks