Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th January 2007, 19:29   #16
Thumbs down I know this sound you are trying to explain

I got my swift on 21-Dec 2006 and I think I know what you are trying to explain. Even I am facing the same issue.

I will describe this sound as follow and hope that technical guys will comment it.

Guys, you must have noticed the sound in below scenario.

1. You are on a long drive and engine is quite hot.
2. You start to climb on a moderate slope and you are on top gear (5th)
3. Now you must switch to second gear in order to keep your engine in proper power band

4. Instead, if you switch it to 4th gear and try to push your car - there will be kind of "grrrrrr" sound from engine (more noticeable in old cars) which is shouting and saying that I need more torque....

Now this is the exact sound which comes from my swift even when crusing comfortably on 3/4 gear at a speed of 40+

Any answers for this ??
This surely makes me sad as it induces feeling of under powered car.....

I tried to explain this to service guys, and again taking my swift to them on coming weekend for proper checkup.
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 20:00   #17
Team-BHP Support

pinging or knocking will give you "ting ting" not "grrr" and yes esteem aluminium alloy engines ping if loaded under low rpms

again some engines ping easily compared to others depending on tolerance which vary or if its severe can suspect too advanced timing and it can be checked and corrected, as in base idle timing
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote