Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st June 2010, 15:11   #1
BHPian

Default Santro 40K service

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie on this forum and have been actively browsing through the posts for finalizing on my second car. Thanks to all BHPians for extremely useful information.

My 5 year old santro has just completed 40000 kms and I'm planning to get the 40K service done tomorrow. I called up the service center (Lakshmi Hyundai in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad) and the service engineer said that it'll be just like a regular service, but they will also replace the belt (I think he meant the fan belt). But I guess that many more things should go into the 40K service list. Could anyone please give me a list of all things that should be checked/serviced/replaced?

In particular, I'd like your comments on the following problems that I am currently facing with my car.

1) Ride quality has deteriorated gradually. I happened to drive a friend's santro a couple of years ago and felt that the ride is much better (the only difference is that his car is eRLX and newer by an year). The jolt in my car on speed bumps (especially the sharp ones) is considerably harsh compared to his car and the ride in my car is uneasy when driving on bad roads. I brought this up during several services, but the service engineer's excuse is that my friend's car is newer! He checked the suspension briefly and apparently didn't find any issues with that. This is the biggest issue that I want to fix this time. Please give me your suggestions on what could be wrong and how I can insist the service engineer to nail this.

2) The steering has a minor drag to the right side. If I leave the steering straight while driving (or hold it without any pressure applied), the direction of the car is towards the right (by let's say 3-4 degrees). Is it because of worn out tyres? I haven't changed the tyres since I bought the car.

3) Rattles, rattles and rattles. I have my ICE running all the time at reasonable volume, but even then I can still hear the rattles (coming from the doors I suppose). Is it better to take my car separately to a body shop than try to get it fixed as part of a service?

4) The AC belt makes a squeaking noise when the engine is cold. I think this is a minor issue and will go off when the belt is replaced.

5) The fan belt makes a lot of noise. I got it checked during a service camp. He applied some brake fluid or something else and the noise was gone, only to return in a week. I guess the fan belt needs to be replaced as well.

Any other suggestions which will improve my car condition are highly appreciated.

Thanks a ton for your patience!
sureshaddagalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:49   #2
BHPian

if the car goes to any direction on leaving steering you need to get the wheel alignment checked and fixed.
H.A.S.S. will check it using laser guided system and fix it in no time.

If your tyres are doing good at the moment you can use them for a while but at 40K most tyres are considered as DONE.

For Noisy door, it should be a couple of screws to be taken care of in most cases.
but if the noise is due to ICE boom, you would need Damping material to get it fixed, check the ICE section, most ICE lovers certainly add more layers and other stuff to minimize those unwanted noises.

for bumby rattles ask them to check shocker bush, i think its rubbers which holds shockers to the body which may have gone kaput.

Also it would be better to change All filters, oil, petrol, air filter.
Spark plug may have been worn out by now if they were not changed
check and replace them if needed.

Engine Flush, de-carbonization will help in re-gaining performance.

Wheel bearings would need examination and wheel servicing is must at 40K.

If the AC belt is culprit get it checked other problem which could give this noise is A.C. rotor pulley but you need to get it checked first.

Check Brake pads, check if break lining also needs a flush.
check power steering + fluid.
check Battery condition
check A.C. Gas
Check A.C. Cooling coil, must get cleaned during wash

While this much i can think of currently, iam sure experts here would have more precise list and they'll certainly chime in.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:54   #3
BHPian

You might want to go through this thread first.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...checklist.html (Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist)
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 16:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

1) How old are your tires, they make a big difference.
2) Good idea to change, can happen if the tires are worn out uneven.
3) Tell them to pack the rattle area with sponge and put all the clips (if they are missing from trims)
4) Yup
5) Yup

Refer to your manual, it will have a chart and ask them to follow it. for egs all fluid change.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 16:12   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
For Noisy door, it should be a couple of screws to be taken care of in most cases.
but if the noise is due to ICE boom, you would need Damping material to get it fixed, check the ICE section, most ICE lovers certainly add more layers and other stuff to minimize those unwanted noises.
Nope, it's not the ICE boom. I think I need to get all doors opened and checked and get them padded. What are the other possible sources of rattles from the interior? Can something be coming from the pillars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Useful post, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1) How old are your tires, they make a big difference.
2) Good idea to change, can happen if the tires are worn out uneven.
3) Tell them to pack the rattle area with sponge and put all the clips (if they are missing from trims)
4) Yup
5) Yup

Refer to your manual, it will have a chart and ask them to follow it. for egs all fluid change.
1) 5 years. But I noticed the sub-par ride quality 2 years ago and I'm sure the tyres were in good shape back then.
Old 15th June 2010, 19:43   #6
BHPian

Gave my santro for 40K service today.

1) the clutch plates need to be replaced - Rs. 4000

2) replacing 3 belts - Rs. 2000

3) the steering wobbling and drag are due to worn out tyres. I'm planning to get michellin x1 outside since they only have bridgestone.

Do the prices for 1) & 2) above look alright?

Thanks
Old 15th June 2010, 20:21   #7
BHPian

Whats wrong with the clutch plate ? Did you feel that your clutch has an issue ? Clutch would last atleast 60k on most cars if driven properly. Avoid if its not an issue.

Belts would be a standard cost at a Hyundai ASC. Aftermarket may be a tad cheaper (10%).

Michelin XM1+ is the way to go for comfort.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 20:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
3) the steering wobbling and drag are due to worn out tyres. I'm planning to get michellin x1 outside since they only have bridgestone.
Michelin XM1 and XM1+ are two different tyres. Make sure you are getting XM1+ and not XM1
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 03:04   #9
BHPian

Was your clutch Slipping when you drove your car ?

Many A.S.S. has very bad habit of replacing whats not realistically needed to be replaced.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 14:49   #10
BHPian

Update after the 40K service:

- Got michelin xm1+. My old tyres were really in bad condition, so the ride and handling is much better now. I wish I changed my tyres an year ago. It's a pity that no one (hyundai service center or the accessories shop I visit) had earlier suggested to me to change the tyres even though I kept complaining about bad ride & handling. Now both ride & handling have improved considerably and steering wobbling has obviously gone.

- Some rattles are fixed. Not that bad any more, but I'd like to take time some day and get the rest fixed.

- AC & engine belt noises are gone too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Whats wrong with the clutch plate ? Did you feel that your clutch has an issue ? Clutch would last atleast 60k on most cars if driven properly. Avoid if its not an issue.

Belts would be a standard cost at a Hyundai ASC. Aftermarket may be a tad cheaper (10%).

Michelin XM1+ is the way to go for comfort.
Clutch was very hard to press. I insisted on fixing it instead of replacing, but he said they can't be repaired. I had to trust him. I understood that they are worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Michelin XM1 and XM1+ are two different tyres. Make sure you are getting XM1+ and not XM1
Yes, I made sure to check this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Was your clutch Slipping when you drove your car ?

Many A.S.S. has very bad habit of replacing whats not realistically needed to be replaced.
Didn't observe any slipping. Just that it was hard to press. I see your point, but I wish I had an easy way to verify whether he was correct.

Thanks all again for your inputs!
Old 21st June 2010, 19:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Update after the 40K service:

- Got michelin xm1+. My old tyres were really in bad condition, so the ride and handling is much better now.
Which size tyres did you buy? Did you change the rims too? How much did you pay for XM1+?

Thanx.

-Navneet
Navneet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
Which size tyres did you buy? Did you change the rims too? How much did you pay for XM1+?

Thanx.

-Navneet
I went for the stock size (155/70 R13), since I didn't want to worsen the already not-so-good ride quality on Santros. I'm hardly on the highway, so the handling is sufficient for city drives.

I didn't change the rims since I'm planning to dispose the car in about an year.

2850 per tyre. Ashoka wheels quoted 2700 per tyre, but I heard rumours from people that they make up for it in other charges (installation, balancing, alignment, valves, etc.)

I got this done at Xenex Madhapur. Good service overall, though I don't know much about other dealers.
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I went for the stock size (155/70 R13), since I didn't want to worsen the already not-so-good ride quality on Santros. I'm hardly on the highway, so the handling is sufficient for city drives.

I didn't change the rims since I'm planning to dispose the car in about an year.

2850 per tyre. Ashoka wheels quoted 2700 per tyre, but I heard rumours from people that they make up for it in other charges (installation, balancing, alignment, valves, etc.)

I got this done at Xenex Madhapur. Good service overall, though I don't know much about other dealers.
XM1 + is definitely a good choice i have also changed to XM1+ since January 2009, the car feels much more planted as compared to earlier Stock one's.

In XM1+ as far as my observation goes the ride feels very smooth when psi of 28 is maintained in all four tires. With psi of 30 the ride is very much bumpy at the rear.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
In XM1+ as far as my observation goes the ride feels very smooth when psi of 28 is maintained in all four tires. With psi of 30 the ride is very much bumpy at the rear.
OK, I'll check with 28 psi the next time.

I got nitrogen filled for the first time. I'm not really sure if it's helping in ride quality considerably. Any idea how often nitrogen needs to be refilled? Does it generally last longer than the normal air?