Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd June 2010, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Default My vehicle - long pending issue

I have been facing this issue for some time now, I want to get it resolved as fast as possible.

1.) The car jerks while slowing down during 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears (rpm well above 1500). It is quite easy to reproduce this:
Slight Jerk - Rev the car & keep it between 2000-2300rpm.

Now if there is a block/signal ahead, I want to slow down, so when I lift my foot slowly off the accelrator the big jerk happens.Jerk is huge & felt for atleast 2 second, a feeling like one is lacking oxygen. This is very different from the knocking one gets when the car is in higher gear & lower rpm.

2.) Car is hesitant to revv with AC on in 2nd & 3rd gears. Feel like something is holding my car.

3.) There is a jerk, no matter how the slow the clutch is engaged after changing gears & even with a slight tap on the accelerator.

4.) Gear become tight & hard to operate after a period of high revving. clutch becomes hard & shuddering sets in.

Planning to visit the mechanic this week, would like to have a check-list of areas to be checked. Below is my current list for the checks:
spark plugs
fuel injector
ignition coil
fuel pump
Gearbox bearing.

Appreciate your help, I drive a Baleno.. I am running on stock filter, mobil synthectic & exhaust with cat-con removed. I find it hard to believe that something or the other creep ups on a 4 year old car.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:45   #2
BHPian

Your primary check list looks good. Ask your mech guy to clean the throttle body. Clutch also needs attention.

One question: When did you change the spark plugs last time?
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Your primary check list looks good. Ask your mech guy to clean the throttle body. Clutch also needs attention.

One question: When did you change the spark plugs last time?
Sorry I forgot to mention few details, Car has run 47k kms.
Last service at 39k KMs:
New clutch assembly (everything)
Iridium Spark Plugs
Mobil1
OWS 210, 220, 360
Radiator Flush
TB cleaned, Fuel Injectors cleaned (not sure)

Around 2 months back, I filled 500 rupees of petrol from a shady petrol bunk, apart from that car has been strictly on premium fuel.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:51   #4
BHPian

Why don't your try a good fuel system cleaner before going to the mechanic? Add it over a full tank of petrol and run as usual. If the problem is due to blocked fuel injectors, the fuel additive should clear the issue.

Another solution is the one used by the mechanics. Drive at a good speed and down shift to a lower gear, preferably second gear. Take off your foot from the accelerator. This will create a vacuum in the cylinders and suck out all the dirt from the injectors.

This was suggested by cousin who runs a workshop here in Dubai. As per him, all breathing problems will get solved by this trick. Works best with manual gear shift.
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Have you tried with a new set of plugs, try even with a new set of regular plugs and see. Just a hunch. Also rule out fuel and air filters for blockage.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 23:04   #6
BHPian

Jaggu, Jaguar - Thanks for the inputs, I will add this to the list.. Also I got few more problem, anyway I need to get it checked before adding a fuel system cleaner..
Old 4th June 2010, 02:10   #7

Default Cables

Hi,

This problem could also be caused by faulty cables. Check the spark plug cables for minute cracks or signs of wear. It makesense to replace the cables (new ones are costly).

I also suggest u check the spacing in the spark plugs to make sure that it matches the owners manual (Even for nwe ones).

As suggested in the previous reply also replace the fuel & air filter as this needs to be done approx every 40k km.

Gary.
Gary Grubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 02:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

A good oil change service with engine flush, decarbonising, throttle body cleaning and all filters replacement might solve the issues. Also get the coolant checked and change if required, plus check the cooling system, Plugs, cables and Coil.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 07:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention few details, Car has run 47k kms.
Last service at 39k KMs:
New clutch assembly (everything)
Iridium Spark Plugs
Mobil1
OWS 210, 220, 360
Radiator Flush
TB cleaned, Fuel Injectors cleaned (not sure)

Around 2 months back, I filled 500 rupees of petrol from a shady petrol bunk, apart from that car has been strictly on premium fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Why don't your try a good fuel system cleaner before going to the mechanic? Add it over a full tank of petrol and run as usual. If the problem is due to blocked fuel injectors, the fuel additive should clear the issue.

Another solution is the one used by the mechanics. Drive at a good speed and down shift to a lower gear, preferably second gear. Take off your foot from the accelerator. This will create a vacuum in the cylinders and suck out all the dirt from the injectors.

This was suggested by cousin who runs a workshop here in Dubai. As per him, all breathing problems will get solved by this trick. Works best with manual gear shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you tried with a new set of plugs, try even with a new set of regular plugs and see. Just a hunch. Also rule out fuel and air filters for blockage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Jaggu, Jaguar - Thanks for the inputs, I will add this to the list.. Also I got few more problem, anyway I need to get it checked before adding a fuel system cleaner..
It would be appropriate to atatck one factor at a time and rule that out.
  1. You can estimate the condition of the throttle body by just opening the conencting air duct and see the butterfly - if it looks sooty,have the TB cleaned first and then see
  2. If this does not solve your problem,try a new set of plugs(I rule this out as your Iridiums are only 8k kms old)
  3. If your car is less than 6 yrs old,plug wires may not be an issue,given my experience with Marutis.
  4. The vacuum trick(suggested by Jaguar) can be tried even without adding fuel additive with just Speed filled up.
  5. If none of these work,have injectors cleaned IN YOUR PRESENCE.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 13:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Get the IACV (Idle air control valve) checked.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 14:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mr Bean, has your car ever visited a M.A.S.S after you bought it or has it gone only to independent outlets to do various patch up jobs? Was the big 40K kms service done on your car?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 14:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Mr Bean, has your car ever visited a M.A.S.S after you bought it or has it gone only to independent outlets to do various patch up jobs? Was the big 40K kms service done on your car?

40K service was done at Ignite Garage (raghav), I have not taken it to M.A.S.S & I may do that next weekend. Ignite is just too far for me considering the distance & time.
Old 4th June 2010, 14:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Take it to MSM. It's right next to your office. Ask them to do the 40K service again. For a car like the Baleno, it will cost about 8-9K. I have usually noticed that cars that skimped on the 40K service or did it do it properly usually end with the exact kind of issues that you have described.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 18:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.) The car jerks while slowing down during 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears (rpm well above 1500). It is quite easy to reproduce this:
Slight Jerk - Rev the car & keep it between 2000-2300rpm.

Now if there is a block/signal ahead, I want to slow down, so when I lift my foot slowly off the accelrator the big jerk happens.Jerk is huge & felt for atleast 2 second, a feeling like one is lacking oxygen. This is very different from the knocking one gets when the car is in higher gear & lower rpm
Sounds like the ignition coil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead
Take it to MSM. It's right next to your office. Ask them to do the 40K service again. For a car like the Baleno, it will cost about 8-9K. I have usually noticed that cars that skimped on the 40K service or did it do it properly usually end with the exact kind of issues that you have described.
Issues like these need good diagnosing skills.
These A.S.S. employees don't have these skills and usually go about replacing everything in their way.
I wouldn't suggest any A.S.S for these issues.
Ignite should be able to help him out.

All said, Beans, you're a fussy lad.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 19:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Sounds like the ignition coil.
How much does it cost for the Baleno?
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote