Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd June 2010, 21:07   #1
Question The heat is on, way too on! Car overheating at low RPM

greetings all!
i'm the proud owner of a 1996 mercedes E220 and more recently, a fabulous force gurkha!
curiously, i've been experiencing the same trouble with both vehicles--over-heating at low rpms, while idling and in traffic.
the benz went to benz and is being sorted out out after a 10 day diagnostic, while the gurkha is way too new for such trauma!
any advice and help would be highly appreciated!
regards all
sankidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 14:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

Is your parking space home to some hungry rats? They sometimes dine on wires, say, for the radiator fan etc.

Did you check if the radiator fan was coming on while the cars were overheating?

PS - Welcome aboard. Do go through our rules, and please try to use proper capitalization too. Thanks.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 03:14   #3
Senior - BHPian
Default Ford ikon overheating?

My ford ikon 1.8 diesel, which have run over a lakh km, is showing signs of overheating.

From cold to normal temperature(which is just the quarter level in the temperature gauge, as identified in a lot of 1.8s), the needle movement is gradual.

I can hear the fan kick in just after it crosses the quarter mark, but then it stops within a 10-20 second period.

From this level, till it reaches half level mark, the fan doesn't come on; it is only when the needle crosses a tad above half mark, it comes on and off(the cycle).

This happens only in city/sub-urban traffic conditions; on a freeway/highway, the needle stays at the quarter mark(which is the normal position for all ikon 1.8Ds).

A local mechanic judged the issue to be a faulty temperature switch; i did replaced it; the issue still remains.

Even when the AC is switched on/off, there is no change of this behavior, and most of the times i dont use the AC at all.

Not that this is a very serious issue, but it is eating my mind for a while, because there is always a worry to keep an eye on the T needle.

I did flushed out the radiator as well as the cooling system and while doing so, the thermostat valve was replaced.

So to pose a query, if there is no fault on temperature switch, thermostat valve, radiator and the fan, where else lies the problem?

PS: does the ikon D fan has only 1 speed(that which creates a racket, lol)?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 11:31   #4

As far as i know the 1.8D, the normal operating temp is 80 - 90 degree C. That is around the mid of the gauge. And the fan runs on 2 speeds. As long as it does not go beyond the half way mark, it's o.k. It sometimes does in urban crawl. But gets back once the second speed kicks in.
VANOS is offline   Reply With Quote