Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th June 2010, 10:32   #1
BHPian

Default Baleno-ed to Bangalore, Now it needs some attention !!

Hello Guys

I went to Hyderabad from BLR on 27th may, in my palio 1.2 NV with my wife and tiger , and came back on a different machine altogether !! Its my dad's baleno, he clocked 51,000kms in a span of "hold your breath: 1yr 4 months", and he now needs a diesel badly. In all the 51k kms (within city travel), he spent only on regular maintenance at MASC, and once got the clutch assembly replaced, and a BRC closed loop kit fitment done.

When I was driving around in hyd, i noticed a few things that needed immediate attention, which i thought i should take up, first thing after reaching bangalore. I will list them out below
  • Jerking/misfire/firing issues : The airfilter box is broken (the clips are broken, so the box is not held in place properly), My driver in hyd says, it happened one day when running in gas, there was a misfire/sort of an explosion, which blew these clips off !! Now, when i run in gas(LPG), i still get these sort of "explosions" and a jerk, but the vehicle keeps running. The explosions, I believe, are due to some misfire or clogged throttle body, coils or some sensor issues. how to figure out the problem ? In petrol, the vehicle jerks and runs, whenever you load the engine (at times when accelerating) but not often. What could be the problem ? How to get to the core of it?
  • Earthing/Short circuit: When left alone unused for a couple of days, the baleno refuses to start, the battery would be out of juice, and my driver charges the battery using invertor at home and starts it later ( this problem happened a couple of times, and in general my dad doesnt leave the vehicle unused more than a day !!).. I am sure this is because of some short circuit which is eating the battery off, anyway to check whats happening and how to figure out what is causing the grounding? we also experience small potential "shocks" when getting down and closing the doors.
  • Bumper Gaps & Touch up: It was driven in hyd city for 51k kms, and it shows up big time. Small scratches every where, gaps between the headlight & bumper, rear bumper a little loose etc. In general, the pain also needs a touch up/detailing to bring some life and shine to it. What would be the cost of a touch up ? or what if i want to change the color from black to something easier to maintain, like a cream or beige ? Do i have to update the rto and so on?
Few minor changes done to the blackHawk in the last couple of days before starting my journey to blr,
  1. Headlight bulbs changed to Phillips 130/100, with headlight relay added
  2. Headunit changed to Pioneer 6050UB, Polk Audio 6" compos in the front & pioneer Ovals in the rear
  3. Garware GDP20 Sunfilm done on all sides except windshield, now the A/C chills at 25deg setting even in the afternoon
For the Problems mentioned above, I plan to have a list of probable changes/repairs to look out, please help me put it together with your thoughts
  1. Throttle Body Cleaning, Coil Sensor check, Spark plugs Check, Butterfly Check/replace -- For Jerking/misfire/explosions!! Cost?
  2. Air Filter Box, the clips are broken, but i guess the clips cant be replaced, the box has to go. New one costs 6000/- !! I am ok with having a cheaper after market thing. Is that available from cheaper sources? or what else can i do for this ?
  3. Electrical Wiring check for grounding of the battery, assuming this is the problem. Cost? Best place/mechanic to look out for?
  4. For Bumper Gaps, i dont know what to do to fix it, but need some advice here for getting it right, and process for paint color change/touch up of existing color?
  5. Windshield change, i observed the windshield has quite a few scratches and needs some polish or a change, do we get cheaper korean/indian ones for this as an alternate ? what would be the cost? in blr
  6. Fog Lights, I searched for after market fog lamps in hyd, but couldnt find a good pair. Where to get these in bangalore and for how much ? Ofcourse i ll do this only after making sure battery is not getting drained by grounding !
  7. Ground Clearance !!any way to increase the GC? coming from a palio, i feel baleno has very very low gc, and i m literally scraping every speed breaker, and i desperately want to make it a little higher ! any way out ??
MY friend suggested me to visit a Bosch Car Care center ( i have two centers close to my home, 1 @Girinagar, near PESIT college, and 2nd @ Basavangudi, near Hindu Seva Office).. which one is better among these ?

please provide me any info you have, that can help me with the above issues. Also suggest a good Car Service center that does Balenos, which can address the issues i have !

Thanks a lot for reading through & help me if possible

Last edited by kri$hna : 7th June 2010 at 10:41. Reason: added air filter box point
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 11:18   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
please provide me any info you have, that can help me with the above issues. Also suggest a good Car Service center that does Balenos, which can address the issues i have !
Buddy, here is a two step plan.

1) A "regularly" maintained car would not have the problems you have mentioned. Take it to a MASS. You car has not seen one for ages. Ask for a regular service. Let them tell you the other stuff that needs to be done.

2) Based on the input from MASS, you could prioritize/decide where to do the off-cycle maintenance and to what extend.

For the Air-filter, You could check out the K&N Conical filter which might cost the same, but give you more bang.

Good luck
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 12:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys

I went to Hyderabad from BLR on 27th may, in my palio 1.2 NV with my wife and tiger , and came back on a different machine altogether !! Its my dad's baleno, he clocked 51,000kms in a span of "hold your breath: 1yr 4 months", and he now needs a diesel badly.
How long ago was this ? May 2007 was when the last batch of baleno's were sold. Highly unlikely that you have gotten yourself a 2008 model baleno from the MUL stables .

Quote:
Air Filter Box, the clips are broken, but i guess the clips cant be replaced, the box has to go. New one costs 6000/- !! I am ok with having a cheaper after market thing. Is that available from cheaper sources? or what else can i do for this
At 6k you are better off picking up an after market performance filter from Green or K&N. Look at a conical intake , the green cotton air filter retails at around 6k or so with the flange for the baleno. Not really sure though.

Quote:
Jerking/misfire/firing issues : The explosions, I believe, are due to some misfire or clogged throttle body, coils or some sensor issues. how to figure out the problem ? In petrol, the vehicle jerks and runs, whenever you load the engine (at times when accelerating) but not often. What could be the problem ? How to get to the core of it?
Looks like the car has flatulence problems . Check the throttle body and get it cleaned, ignition coil, air filter and then if all the spark plugs are firing.

Quote:
For Bumper Gaps, i dont know what to do to fix it, but need some advice here for getting it right, and process for paint color change/touch up of existing color?
Go to a local garage and he should be able to fix it up for cheap. Search for Sai Colorium on the forum. From what I hear he is highly recommended for such jobs.

Quote:
Windshield change, i observed the windshield has quite a few scratches and needs some polish or a change, do we get cheaper korean/indian ones for this as an alternate ? what would be the cost? in blr
Close to 8k or so for a new one from Windshield Experts. No idea of the Korean one's you are talking about.

Quote:
Ground Clearance !!any way to increase the GC? coming from a palio, i feel baleno has very very low gc, and i m literally scraping every speed breaker, and i desperately want to make it a little higher ! any way out ??
What size tires are you running ? If its the stock 13 inchers upsize to 14/15 inchers and that should give you some relief.

Get these fixed 1st and please get rid of that gas kit. Why do you wanna kill the G16B ? Its one helluva car to drive around and please drive safe.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 12:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
How long ago was this ? May 2007 was when the last batch of baleno's were sold. Highly unlikely that you have gotten yourself a 2008 model baleno from the MUL stables .
Hmmm, clarification, we bought it from the 1st owner in dec 2008, till then the car clocked abt 4800kms only. its an 07 regd vehicle, but 06 last quarter model i believe. It is the one with 14" factory fit alloys & goodyear F1 185/65 tyres, cloud white indicators, ACC etc.

And the car was regularly "serviced" but i dont call it maintenance. It undergoes the routine MASS visit every 7-8k kms.

Quote:
At 6k you are better off picking up an after market performance filter from Green or K&N. Look at a conical intake , the green cotton air filter retails at around 6k or so with the flange for the baleno. Not really sure though

For the dusty conditions in India, will that be a good choice ? I had K&N stock replacement filter in my palio, was happy with that. But a Conical k&N or green Cotton, i m afraid of the dust/minute particles finding their way into the engine

Quote:
Looks like the car has flatulence problems . Check the throttle body and get it cleaned, ignition coil, air filter and then if all the spark plugs are firing.
Seriously YES !! Is Bosch Car Service a better place to do this job ? Also the Grounding of the battery needs to be checked while this goes on

Quote:
Go to a local garage and he should be able to fix it up for cheap. Search for Sai Colorium on the forum. From what I hear he is highly recommended for such jobs.
thanks for the info, it is in the list, but not in priority. If its cheap, i am doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Close to 8k or so for a new one from Windshield Experts. No idea of the Korean one's you are talking about.
Yes.. The original one is expensive, i am looking for oem alternatives. I heard a few imported ones come from korea and other places, and retail for about 2-3k

Quote:
What size tires are you running ? If its the stock 13 inchers upsize to 14/15 inchers and that should give you some relief.
Its already on 14 inchers & Yokohama A drives 185/65. Any idea to raise the suspension using some rubber or metal inserts ?

Quote:
Get these fixed 1st and please get rid of that gas kit. Why do you wanna kill the G16B ? Its one helluva car to drive around and please drive safe.
Hmm, Gas performance is not bad at all. In fact its as good as petrol. Only issue is the misfire which broke the air filter & jerking in petrol. LPG is way more economical to ignore

I feel the earthing check and throttle body cleaning job is best done by an experienced mech either in MASS or Bosch Car Service. I am looking for info from anyone who has already done it.

My guess is, given the number of vehicles that come to MAS, it is not possible for them to dedicate hours of time to my baleno checking for the earthing problem, which is actually difficult to diagonise. That is precisely the reason why i am considering Bosch Car Service. let me know if i am wrong here
Old 8th June 2010, 00:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the dusty conditions in India, will that be a good choice ? I had K&N stock replacement filter in my palio, was happy with that. But a Conical k&N or green Cotton, i m afraid of the dust/minute particles finding their way into the engine
Shouldn't be a problem pal, even with the K&N stock you have to get it cleaned once every 5-6k kms.There are umpteen cars on this very forum running with aftermarket filters and haven't faced any issues as such.

Quote:
Its already on 14 inchers & Yokohama A drives 185/65. Any idea to raise the suspension using some rubber or metal inserts ?
Raise the suspension and compromise on the handling ? They are called spacers and IMO stay away from it. If you are already running on 14's then take the speed breakers easy. If you have the money spend get a stiffer suspension setup from Koni's, will cost you around 30k.

Quote:
I feel the earthing check and throttle body cleaning job is best done by an experienced mech either in MASS or Bosch Car Service. I am looking for info from anyone who has already done it.
Go to any MASS and am sure they should be able to sort it out for you. Just ensure you narrate the problem correctly.

Quote:
My guess is, given the number of vehicles that come to MAS, it is not possible for them to dedicate hours of time to my baleno checking for the earthing problem, which is actually difficult to diagonise. That is precisely the reason why i am considering Bosch Car Service. let me know if i am wrong here
That's why garages enter something called as LABOR CHARGES in your final bill . How would bosch diagnose your cars problem better than any MASS?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 8th June 2010 at 00:25.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 10:01   #6
BHPian

*UPDATE*

I had dropped the vehicle in adiga automotives (Bosch Car Sevice) yesterday, asking them for a general check up and specifically address the throttle body cleaning, clutch being a little hard & jerking issues.

-- I got a call from them now, saying the spark plugs have to be replaced. I am going to use Bosch Platinum plugs. He says this could have been the reason for jerking, as if any of those plugs doesnt spark, we ll get a jerk, but engine still stays on due to some other plug sparking. is he right?
I have anyway asked for a throttle body clean and coil check also to make sure nothing else is the cause for jerking.

Yesterday he has connected the battery tester to the battery and checked for its health. he says the battery is pretty good & wiring leakage current has to be checked. Do i have to get a load test done on the battery to be sure that its good ? The battery is new exide maintenance free one, just about 1 yr old.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

specifically address the throttle body cleaning, clutch being a little hard & jerking issues.

-- I got a call from them now, saying the spark plugs have to be replaced. I am going to use Bosch Platinum plugs. He says this could have been the reason for jerking, as if any of those plugs doesnt spark, we ll get a jerk, but engine still stays on due to some other plug sparking. is he right?
I have anyway asked for a throttle body clean and coil check also to make sure nothing else is the cause for jerking.

Yesterday he has connected the battery tester to the battery and checked for its health. he says the battery is pretty good & wiring leakage current has to be checked. Do i have to get a load test done on the battery to be sure that its good ? The battery is new exide maintenance free one, just about 1 yr old.
Yes, he is right. If one spark plug does not work, then jerking will be there, but at the same time there will some loss in power also.

I am not sure, but throttle body cleaning does not include injector cleaning ( IIRC ). If this is true, get your injector cleaned also.

IMO, your battery is good, but get the electrical system of your car checked, specially wires.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 12:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Yes, he is right. If one spark plug does not work, then jerking will be there, but at the same time there will some loss in power also.

I am not sure, but throttle body cleaning does not include injector cleaning ( IIRC ). If this is true, get your injector cleaned also.

IMO, your battery is good, but get the electrical system of your car checked, specially wires.
Another update.. Spark Plugs are changed to BOSCH platinum ones. Throttle Body cleaning done. injector cleaning not done, i will instruct this to those guys now.

The battery was checked, and it was very low or totally nill on distilled water. How is it possible on a maintenance free battery which is just about a year old ? It was checked about a month ago in exide shop and that guy told the battery was fine. Now Bosch ppl say, "theres no distilled water at all, and that might have caused your starting issues"

If battery distilled water is the culprit, then i would like to know how the battery loses water so soon ? I am surprised because My palio went almost 2 years without any issues using a battery of lower grade than the one on baleno. It is also maintenance free battery from exide, but not as good as baleno one (on paper )
Old 10th June 2010, 10:19   #9
BHPian

Got the car back from Service yesterday. I will list out the things i liked and disliked in this episode:

What i liked:
  • The Owner of Adiga Automotives seems to be pretty knowledgeable about what he does and talks
  • Pays attention to what you are saying, complaints about vehicle etc
  • Lists out each and every point on the Job Card ( good for us when taking delivery, to refer what all repairs were ordered and done)
  • calls up for feedback on repairs, and advises on a variety of spares
  • Doesnt escalate unnecessary repairs. I wanted horns to sound better and was opting for new trumpets. This guy tried repairing the old ones and make them sound better before asking me to install new ones.
  • Has tools for almost every regular job to be done. Instantly showed me the alternator charging output, Battery level condition & other things in his tool
  • Car is now very smooth, accelerating neatly and pretty silent! No jerks at all at the moment.
What I didnt Like:
  • The Wash Quality is not Top Notch. I could see a lot of water dried up markings, and not so neat exterior finish
  • I noticed the center glove box cover missing, and a new scratch on rear bumper, the bumper has also become a little loose from right side. I will post a few pictures to show what it is exactly.
  • Someone tried to fiddle around with my HU, and it refused to start playing, after complaining, their electrician fixed it, but should not have happened at the first place !
My biggest gripe is the rear bumper scratch and it becoming loose also. I dono what to do to get it fixed and how much it would cost. I want a detailing job to be done on the blackHawk, and probably that should also fix the bumper gaps in the front and a slightly more broken rear bumper.

Bumper pics attached:

please do suggest how to get this bumper fixed tight and what would it cost & best place to get it done.
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno-ed to Bangalore, Now it needs some attention !!-20100610-07.16.45.jpg  

Baleno-ed to Bangalore, Now it needs some attention !!-20100610-07.15.35.jpg  

Baleno-ed to Bangalore, Now it needs some attention !!-20100610-07.15.53.jpg  

Baleno-ed to Bangalore, Now it needs some attention !!-20100610-07.16.33.jpg  

Baleno-ed to Bangalore, Now it needs some attention !!-20100610-07.15.14.jpg  

Old 10th June 2010, 10:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Another update.. Spark Plugs are changed to BOSCH platinum ones. (on paper )
Can you tell us what was the model and cost? My Baleno is due for a service and plug change, I may opt for those too.
ssingri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 13:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
Can you tell us what was the model and cost? My Baleno is due for a service and plug change, I may opt for those too.
Bosch Platinum Plus -> 250/- each, so it amounts to 1000/- for a set of 4.
I also got the horn changed to Roots Windtone for 450 bux. Not sure how long it will last, but sounds good.
Old 11th June 2010, 18:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

The problem with scratches all over is that the workshop guy will ask you to repaint your car and that will cost a lot.

I have a black baleno and used the paint spray cans from com paint to cover the minor scratches. Very reasonable so long as you follow the instructions (like scaffolding, taking care of dust, not be over enthusiastic in putting a lot of paint per spray pass).

Try it as it is a pretty cheap option. Midnight Black is the Baleno color. If it does not work, you can always get the panel repainted

Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, aerosol spray paint, supplier of spray paint,spray, spray paint, touchup, touch-up, aerosol spray paint manufacturers, spray paint,Touchup, Touch-up Spray, Spray Bottle, aerosol spray paint manufacturer, com-paint manuf

Last edited by Buffetfan : 11th June 2010 at 18:16.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote