Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th June 2010, 12:39   #1
BHPian

Default Problem with Suzuki Grand Vitara gearbox

I have a GV'09 2.0 MT its done 27K kms,i have been facing a problem recently in the car which is getting really serious day by day.

What happens is that when i stop at a signal, and if i am in 1st gear the gear simply locks ! as in i actually have to use a lot of force and pull it back into neutral even with the clutch pedal touching the firewall.

this never occurs when i am in any other gear except 1st.

another thing i noticed was the car very slowly(and i mean really slowly) inches ahead when this happens. when i pull the gear out ,it stalls.

someone suggested that the clutch might not be dis-engaging properly,but if this is the case then why dont the other gears get affected? and moreover after pulling the gear out of 1st keeping the clutch pedal depressed when i put it back into 1st, it is absolutely normal !

this happens atleast once in about 20 kms of driving.

i got a full major service done at 22K on the odo.

ALSO-when i take a proper launch from a stall, the front suspension sounds like something is cracking.

help
garrett_t16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 15:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

You need to get the entire tranny (clutch et al) checked at the service centre ASAP. It could boil down to a small glitch, something to do with the clutch not dis-engaging perhaps.

A friend of mine had a similar issue in his Indica and the issue was sorted after a routine service.

And what do you mean by 'Proper-Launch'?
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 16:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Get your clutch bled - it is a hydraulic clutch. If that does not improve the situation then you need to get the clutch replaced. I would say that this should not be happening at 27k but depends on your driving and how much city crawl you do.

I had something similar but in my case it was getting very hard to slot the first or reverse gears when standing inn traffic. I am in the process of getting clutch and pressure plate changed, even as I write. The cost for clutch plus pressure plate is quoted at Rs4700. Real low when compared with other SUV's

I should get the car back on Monday.

But this is at 125000kms on odo.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 16:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

It may be a problem with your clutch cover assembly. The only way out for you is to lower your gearbox and check. First bleed your clutch and try though.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 16:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett_t16 View Post
...someone suggested that the clutch might not be dis-engaging properly,but if this is the case then why dont the other gears get affected?

ALSO-when i take a proper launch from a stall, the front suspension sounds like something is cracking.
I would be inclined to agree with sudev. Clutch hydraulics problem, not allowing the clutch to disengage fully even when the pedal is depressed all the way. As suggested to you last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Get your clutch bled - it is a hydraulic clutch. If that does not improve the situation then you need to get the clutch replaced.
Also, the front cracking sound is likely to be from the front axle CV joints.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 17:22   #6
BHPian

@suhaas-what i mean by a proper launch is that, i engage the clutch fully so the car starts to move ahead and i put the accelerator to the floor.

I will go to maruti vitesse on Friday and get the clutch sorted out.

so i should
-bleeding of clutch, if that dosent work then,
-get a complete check of the tranny done(dropping the GB)
garrett_t16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 17:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett_t16 View Post
@suhaas-what i mean by a proper launch is that, i engage the clutch fully so the car starts to move ahead and i put the accelerator to the floor.

I will go to maruti vitesse on Friday and get the clutch sorted out.

so i should
-bleeding of clutch, if that dosent work then,
-get a complete check of the tranny done(dropping the GB)
Absolutely.

Oh and if you have the time, I suggest you take a day off and take your car to the service station and be a little pushy. I've learnt that that's the only way to get things done. Especially since it's Maruti you're dealing with.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th June 2010 at 17:40.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 12:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Any updates?
Was it the hydraulics, or the clutch plate or the pressure plate?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 12:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Me too waiting for updates. I can only share that since the time I got the clutch changed the problem of slotting first gear is no longer there and in between I did Mughal Road Rally without any issues from transmission.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote