Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th May 2012, 10:54   #211
BHPian

Default Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

I wanted some help on installing Audio System in Nano. Is it a must to get the Tata systems from accessories list?
I have identified JBL GT X333 for my Nano but a mail on Nano FB page and they reply saying "anything" from outside voids the warranty. What should I do? Is it possible to buy the HU and speakers from outside and have it installed by TASS? Any other ideas?
avingodb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 22:44   #212
Senior - BHPian

Guys is the Battery which is below the driver's seat in the Nano safe ?

Considering that car batteries are known to emit poisonous fumes like Hydrogen, Sulphuric acid etc ?

Won't it affect the health of the occupants in negative way if car is used mostly with AC on all the time and windows closed?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 00:36   #213
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Considering that car batteries are known to emit poisonous fumes like Hydrogen, Sulphuric acid etc ?

Won't it affect the health of the occupants in negative way if car is used mostly with AC on all the time and windows closed?

I have driven my nano for almost two and half years and most of the times all the windows have been closed (AC in summer and winters in Delhi as everyone knows).Till date, I have not felt any fumes/battery acid smell inside the car.However I feel if there are any side effects of this, the same would be applicable to the inverter batteries we have in our homes. There is no concrete proof that they are hazardous.

Frankly speaking I have not paid any attention to it,may be because there are many other things to worry about when you are in a Nano.

Just kidding, I enjoy my NANO
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 22:09   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

The clear answers to your questions are given by TATA themselves in the owner's manual of Nano.
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 10:51   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
The clear answers to your questions are given by TATA themselves in the owner's manual of Nano.
Could someone post the excerpt from the manual regarding this?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 22:22   #216
Senior - BHPian

Hello Nano'ians,

I have purchased the vehicle on 6th of this month and have ran 250 Kms approx. till now. A few issues in the Tata Nano LX of our's:

1) The LHS power window switch has already started making noise, the noise is like the spring has came out of its place.

2) The clutch engages only after half travel, there is some issue with the clutch cable.

3) The gear sometimes makes grinding noise on engaging.

4) The seats (both of them) does'nt recline fully, only upto an angle say 120 degrees.

5) The windshield washer is mis-aligned.

6) The fuel gauge acts weird sometimes. From 1 bar position "E" sometimes starts blinking and then switches back to one bar. Is there any problem with the instrument cluster?

7) The vibration and noise of radiator fan is even greater than that of engine at idle.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 13:25   #217
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Hello Nano'ians,

I have purchased the vehicle on 6th of this month and have ran 250 Kms approx. till now. A few issues in the Tata Nano LX of our's:

1) The LHS power window switch has already started making noise, the noise is like the spring has came out of its place.

2) The clutch engages only after half travel, there is some issue with the clutch cable.

3) The gear sometimes makes grinding noise on engaging.

4) The seats (both of them) does'nt recline fully, only upto an angle say 120 degrees.

5) The windshield washer is mis-aligned.

6) The fuel gauge acts weird sometimes. From 1 bar position "E" sometimes starts blinking and then switches back to one bar. Is there any problem with the instrument cluster?

7) The vibration and noise of radiator fan is even greater than that of engine at idle.
Your problems no 4,6 and 7 are not really problems, they are there in every Nano. The seats are designed to recline to that angle only. Regarding the windshield washer, its prone to get misaligned but you can align it yourself easily.As far as clutch and window is concerned, you need to go to TASC.

One thing more, I know all these little little issues are associated with most of the Nanos but one should not get discouraged rather try to enjoy the bigger joys Nano brings with along.
kkg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:44   #218
Senior - BHPian

I by mistake posted in other thread, looking for this one. Anyway, here is the list of issues I am facing with only 600 Kms on odo:

1) Mileage only between 14-15 kmpl.

2) The engine takes hiccup (there is no particular time at which this happens usually happens every2-3 kms.) like there is no petrol. This happens for a fraction of second and there is no drop in performance.
Old 9th October 2012, 11:55   #219
Senior - BHPian

I have given the car for first service today, the silencer has rust all over it. Should I ask for warranty replacement?
Old 10th October 2012, 12:45   #220
BHPian

Smile Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
I by mistake posted in other thread, looking for this one. Anyway, here is the list of issues I am facing with only 600 Kms on odo:

1) Mileage only between 14-15 kmpl.

2) The engine takes hiccup (there is no particular time at which this happens usually happens every2-3 kms.) like there is no petrol. This happens for a fraction of second and there is no drop in performance.
Well in the city runs, even i am getting a mileage of about 16kmpl. But once on the highway , the mileage increases to about 20-22 kmpl.

And regarding the engine hiccups, even i am facing the same problem as you mentioned. It actually seems like there is no petrol and the car jerks 2 or 3 times. I guess i will mention it in the first service as my car has only run 3500 kms.
Quote:
I have given the car for first service today, the silencer has rust all over it. Should I ask for warranty replacement?
I think you should ask for a warranty replacement. Can i ask how many kms has your car run ?

Regards
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 19:45   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Well in the city runs, even i am getting a mileage of about 16kmpl. But once on the highway , the mileage increases to about 20-22 kmpl.

And regarding the engine hiccups, even i am facing the same problem as you mentioned. It actually seems like there is no petrol and the car jerks 2 or 3 times. I guess i will mention it in the first service as my car has only run 3500 kms.

I think you should ask for a warranty replacement. Can i ask how many kms has your car run ?

Regards
Oh! you are in the same boat as I am. The mileage I am getting is with AC ON. Yet to take the cutie-pie on highway run. The jerking problem, I will show it to SC tomorrow again, although the jerks have reduced now but not fully gone. Someone suggested that air in the fule line might be trapped. I hope you have not skipped the so called first service (a formality service IMO) @1000 Kms. The 2nd service is at 10,000 Kms.

My car has only 1060 Kms on the odo. The mileage in the city i.e. 15 Kmpl is pretty low on comparing with Alto which is a proper hatchback. Guess this is where Tata has gone wrong, even a Alto, Eon, other entry level hatchbacks deliver around 16-17 Kmpl in city.
Old 10th October 2012, 20:29   #222
BHPian

Smile Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Oh! you are in the same boat as I am. The mileage I am getting is with AC ON. Yet to take the cutie-pie on highway run. The jerking problem, I will show it to SC tomorrow again, although the jerks have reduced now but not fully gone. Someone suggested that air in the fule line might be trapped. I hope you have not skipped the so called first service (a formality service IMO) @1000 Kms. The 2nd service is at 10,000 Kms.

My car has only 1060 Kms on the odo. The mileage in the city i.e. 15 Kmpl is pretty low on comparing with Alto which is a proper hatchback. Guess this is where Tata has gone wrong, even a Alto, Eon, other entry level hatchbacks deliver around 16-17 Kmpl in city.
Yes i am also getting the said mileage with the AC ON. And yeah , i did not skip the first service. It was duly done around 1000 kms. And regarding the other cars you mentioned, i doubt if they give around 16-17 kms in the city with the AC on. But i guess it matters how we drive. Sometimes my nano returns upto 18kmpl but for that i really have to control my feet. No sudden accelerations and very sedate driving.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 20:24   #223

I bought a used Tata Nano (March 2010 LX model) last year in September 2011 when it had run 13487 kms. By Oct 2011, I had about 15200kms on the odo and decided to go to TASS in Bangalore and get some issues fixed. The service advisor there said that he'll advance the 20,000km service and get all issues sorted. The following were the 3 major issues noted then:

1. Clutch was very hard and I just couldn't make out when it engaged and disengaged.
2. Central locking wasn't working properly on the rear doors. It would engage sometimes and then it would not.
3. Coolant was being gulped more than petrol. In about 50kms of driving, entire coolant would've got drained.

The service advisor had said that he'll look in to those issues and have them sorted. But when I test drove the car after service, I wasn't happy with the way the clutch was behaving. It was just better than what it was earlier. They had replaced the cable, but it had only improved the situation by say 25%. However, on insisting that they take a relook at it, they just sprayed wd40 under the rear hood where the cable actuates and it seemed to improve at that point in time, but I couldn't really tell.

He also said that he had taken care of the central locking and coolant issues. After a week, I again noticed that there was not a drop of coolant in the tank and the central locking was faltering again. Due to lack of time and patience, I just didn't bother to go back there.

This time, in September 2012, the odo reading was 20194 when I drove her in to the same TASS (as you can see I had hardly used the car much in 1 year) and I was told that my AMC had expired and that they will not be able to take care of the following problems that I had noted:

1. Clutch was super hard
2. Coolant was being guzzled away
3. Central locking - Rear right knob had broken and the rear left door wouldn't actuate
4. There was a faint 'tennis ball bouncing' sound emitting from Front left side of the car, probably near the wheels. I wasn't sure whether it was a suspension problem or the mudguard being loose or the front rubber splash guard under the front bumper making that noise.

He said he'll consider the car for "running repairs" and attend to the job. He said he'll need to open the clutch assembly and check for faults, but I'm sure he did not do such a thing. After I got the car for the test drive, it felt just slightly better than what it was earlier. Ofcourse, he had changed just the clutch cable! and hoped it would be better.

He said he had found the coolant leak and fixed it. But as I write this, the issue still remains.

After much disagreement, he decided to fix the issue of the central locking under warranty and it seems alright now.

I paid up Rs.7480 for new Gold AMC from 20,000kms to 40,000kms or 2 years, whichever is earlier. I think I'll go back to that TASS and get full 20,000km service done and this time ensure that I sit on their nuts to get a proper job done.

Is anyone else facing an issue with the clutch? If so, how did you overcome the problem? Is changing the clutch cable, the only solution?

Any pointers in this will be greatly appreciated.
zipkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 18:14   #224
BHPian

Angry Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Guyz, one of my friend is a proud owner of a nano.
His is 2010 model and is used very very sparingly. So much that it has run only about 1.5k Kms till date.
The accelerator cable in his car had broken off and had to take it to the TASS purely on the clutch (TASS is just 3-4kms away).
When I told the TASS to replace the cable under warranty, they told that it does not count under warranty as it is a broken part.
The cable was not eaten away by rats, nor any kind of accident nor the car was given to any local mechanic and so it means that it was the cables fault.
The TASS are not ready to budge and have quoted Rs.750 for the repair.
My question is, Is something that has broken excluded from warranty? What if my suspension or driveshaft or else breaks, will they say that this is a broken part and is not covered under warranty?
The TASS were adamant in just 1 sentence: This is a broken part and is not covered under warranty. They were not providing any explanation either on how it broke or what may be the reasons.
I have asked my friend to register a complaint in TATA motors and also shoot them a mail.
What are your views on this?
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 02:12   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipkill View Post
I bought a used Tata Nano (March 2010 LX model) last year in September 2011
Most of your problems were faced by me too. My car is of the similar vintage.

Clutch: I've had the same adjustment problem with the clutch cable for a long time, till I found 1 mechanic at the TASS who did a great job.

Front left side: Co-incidently I too have a loose clicking sorta sound from the front left side. My TASS diagonised it as a worn strut which should be covered by the AMC. Yet to get this done, so will email you later if the sound was eliminated.

Coolant: Typically coolant level rapidly dropping indicates serious problems. If there is no leak in the line, then you have a very serious issue, most likely that of a blown head gasket. In such a case, your car is burning fuel mixed with coolant. Please treat this as an urgent problem to be addressed , and the mechanic should diagonise it in your presence.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote