Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th November 2012, 10:45   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Sometimes my nano returns upto 18kmpl but for that i really have to control my feet. No sudden accelerations and very sedate driving.
Have you got the hicc-up issue sorted out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipkill View Post
Any pointers in this will be greatly appreciated.
As for the clutch issue you should get the clutch changed under AMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Guyz, one of my friend is a proud owner of a nano.
What are your views on this?
Get it changed under warranty. If they resist then shoot a mail to Tata customer care and see they bow before you. I had experienced this.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 11:07   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Guyz, one of my friend is a proud owner of a nano.
His is 2010 model and is used very very sparingly. So much that it has run only about 1.5k Kms till date.
The accelerator cable in his car had broken off and had to take it to the TASS purely on the clutch (TASS is just 3-4kms away).
When I told the TASS to replace the cable under warranty, they told that it does not count under warranty as it is a broken part.
The cable was not eaten away by rats, nor any kind of accident nor the car was given to any local mechanic and so it means that it was the cables fault.
The TASS are not ready to budge and have quoted Rs.750 for the repair.
My question is, Is something that has broken excluded from warranty? What if my suspension or driveshaft or else breaks, will they say that this is a broken part and is not covered under warranty?
The TASS were adamant in just 1 sentence: This is a broken part and is not covered under warranty. They were not providing any explanation either on how it broke or what may be the reasons.
I have asked my friend to register a complaint in TATA motors and also shoot them a mail.
What are your views on this?
Extremely appaling attitude from the Staff. The NANO is not doing well and it can do with all the help it can get with Staff that bend backwards to satisfy Customers, takes me back to my MBA classes "Businesses either have a profit maximisation motive or wealth maximiasation motive" here TATA is going for profit maximisation and it is not helping them because they are making no profit
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 12:29   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN

Extremely appaling attitude from the Staff. The NANO is not doing well and it can do with all the help it can get with Staff that bend backwards to satisfy Customers, takes me back to my MBA classes "Businesses either have a profit maximisation motive or wealth maximiasation motive" here TATA is going for profit maximisation and it is not helping them because they are making no profit
It is not TATA to blame. The dealers don't get the same returns on repairing a nano as they would probably get on say a sumo or An indica. This makes them apathetic towards the car.
My sources tell me that next year TATA is planning to set up different service points for commercial and non commercial vehicles. I sure hope that happens.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 15:40   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

As for the clutch issue you should get the clutch changed under AMC.

Get it changed under warranty. If they resist then shoot a mail to Tata customer care and see they bow before you. I had experienced this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Thank you guys. Had got the car the very next day and against quoted, the bill came up to Rs 430 approx. Had told my friend to shoot a mail to Tata customer care, but I don't know if he has followed up.
I will have to follow up with him in this case!
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 11:15   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Well i didnt have to. The car is performing well now. But there is just one BIG problem.

The Blower stopped working on 30th Oct and was repaired by the TASS guys. Now today it has gone again. I am following all the proper instructions and i also know that we dont have to start the car with the blower on. Anyway the car will be sent to the workshop.

I really love this car but these issues are making me doubt the build quality of it
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 10:17   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Well i didnt have to. The car is performing well now. But there is just one BIG problem.

The Blower stopped working on 30th Oct and was repaired by the TASS guys. Now today it has gone again. I am following all the proper instructions and i also know that we dont have to start the car with the blower on. Anyway the car will be sent to the workshop.

I really love this car but these issues are making me doubt the build quality of it
Oh... I have started the car with blower ON quiet a few times. It is working fine as till now. Is'nt there a fuse provided for blower?
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 16:13   #232
BHPian

@methilsunkara> in my opinion fatter or more grippy tyres will not improve braking unless you experience skidding or locking wheels during hard braking, the best bet wud be an upgrade. before jumping into making any changes, the best bet would be to look at every aspect of the braking system all the way from the master cylinder, the servo assist, brake pipes, flexible brake hoses and then the drum and pad or brake shoes in the case of the nano. if you decide to get it done anyway the safer solution would be going for the disc brake setup, but, afaik there are'nt disc brake kits for the nano, or even if you are thinking of a bigger brake drum the best suitable drum i think would be of the indica's rear drum. if i were you i would wait for TATA to come up with the newer version of the nano which will have a more powerful ebgine and bigger brakes so then you could just retrofit them.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:20   #233
Senior - BHPian

3 months without any posts in this thread means a lot about Tata Nano, isnt it? Everyday in the morning, I am excited by the prospects of driving it...
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 17:30   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
3 months without any posts in this thread means a lot about Tata Nano, isnt it? Everyday in the morning, I am excited by the prospects of driving it...
Spot on amtak,

the nano as it is now is just right.
Some say it needs improvements and upgrades,
they want a more powerful engine, power steering, bigger brakes, reduced body roll, better NVH, and the list goes on,.

I drive a 2010 Nano CX and during the initial times of my ownership people mostly asked me if everything worked alright, and does the heat from the engine intrude into the cabin, and would it explode, oh and what size is the spare tire front or back?
Now these were folks who had never driven one yet.
But, now people are more interested in the space it offers and its looks, its exhaust note too, and also chances of improvements and accessories etc;

The Nano is finally living up to its word, just like the old beetle did in the 60's.
Volkswagen = People's car = Tata Nano

Last edited by msaudf : 12th February 2013 at 17:44.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 00:45   #235
BHPian

I am a proud owner of a 2011 nano CX done 16800 KM and I am totally satisfied with the car , I completely agree with "msaudf" , people , who have never driven this car talk a lot of things , and once they sit inside and feel the space and comfort and NVH levels , they are quite surprised at the package , great value for money vehicle, I am saying this even after spending some weeks when my car was in the garage and waiting for parts to arrive . Had a whole list of parts replaced under warranty so far , but it still a beauty to drive around in the city .
Nanometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 12:14   #236
BHPian

Smile Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Well all nano'ites this a good news to all entusiasts I have driven the nano 4000kms all alone. The route was Bangalore - Kolkata - Bangalore. I am trying to write a short travelogue hopefully soon. We both are good and healthy after this trip . In short no issues whatsover..
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 17:23   #237
BHPian

My Nano is in workshop(rama motors, Okhla, new delhi) since 4 days to get the A/C fixed. Seems the workshop is just not interested to work on Nano. For 3 days i got the same answers - trying to find leakage and it takes time.. Got the tata motors customer care, and they also are helpless, and advise to try the concorde motors workshop instead.

Warranty is typically useless if workshops are going to keep your cars for days..South Delhi now almost has no workshop, as autolinks vasant kunj has been also shut down.

I love the car, but if support is that bad, i would advise people in Delhi (specially south delhi) to avoid buying a nano.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 13:44   #238
BHPian

It's pretty hot in Pune and a friend of mine was driving my wife's nano in crawling traffic for around 30 mins. He saw the coolant / overheating warning. So he stopped the car and went to a restaurant for 30 mins. The car had cooled down and he reached home safely without any incident. Being a very hands-on guy, he googled the Nano user guide and opened the engine cover and checked that the coolant was dangerously low. So he topped up 1 ltr. of coolant.
When he told me this story, I suddenly remembered that some 6 odd months ago, there was a big puddle of coolant under the car. Like a complete moron, I forgot to do anything about it or even warn my wife. SO this car has been pottering about with far less coolant than recommended and yet overheated only now, that too because my friend drives 100 % with AC on.
Overall I am impressed with the car's engine cooling, and depressed with my carelessness :-)
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 21:57   #239

Today, about 5,900 kms on the odometer on by 2012 Nano CX, I parked the car in the parking lot of a mall and when I returned there was a pool of coolant under the engine area. I drove home with one eye on the temperature gauge and kept the car under observation. Not a drop of coolant has leaked thereafter. I opened the rear hatch cover and checked the coolant level and it shows a little above MAX.

I am very skeptical about TATA's reliability because I've never had good experiences with cars from this manufacturer (being the owner of a 2002 Indica DLE V2 & 2005 Indigo LS TDI - now both sold). Even my new Nano has had three major and one minor component failure with replacement under warranty - the air-con blower unit, clutch, fuel gauge, and the left-door locking assembly.

I will run the car in at the local dealers at the first opportunity and revert to this forum with their observations.

In the meantime, if anyone has had a similar experience I would like to hear from you.
neiltopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 12:07   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
So he topped up 1 ltr. of coolant.
You don't top up with coolant. It's done with water only. If it feels too dilute, then some coolant should be added. In contrary to what most non-petrol heads know, the coolant for the engine is actually water. The green thing that we add is the anti-freeze. This also helps reducing the evaporation rate of the water in the radiator. Make sure that you don't have a mixture in radiator which is too concentrated of coolant only. You may like to drain some off and fill with normal water.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote