Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th July 2013, 00:18   #271

Default Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Thanks for your answers.

The Nano was for 1.00.000 Rs. from a Tata dealer with 6 month warranty and some free service. Well, I also thought, that the 7k might not be true, but I am actually not bothered if it has 7k or 27k, since I won't use it forever and the engine sounds fine. From the point of the rear tyres and accelerator pad a.s.o. and overall condition on the other hand, the 7k might be true. I was actually surprised how low the noise level in the car is, after reading all the stories about "loud like a rikshaw". Well, it is actually much better overall than I expected. No other problems with starting, central lock or other things I read here so far, only the breaks need some time to recover after going through deep water. But this forum told me before, so I wasn't too surprised, when they were weaker than normal (but still working).
The speedo actually came back to work and stopped again, once it hit 80km/h when I stopped the car. From 10 to 80 to 0 in less than a second. I already thought, it is electronical. Well, I take it to a free garage on Saturday and keep you updated.

Thanks again
RajuPrabat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 22:35   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajuPrabat View Post
Thanks for your answers.

The Nano was for 1.00.000 Rs. from a Tata dealer with 6 month warranty and some free service. Well, I also thought, that the 7k might not be true, but I am actually not bothered if it has 7k or 27k, since I won't use it forever and the engine sounds fine. From the point of the rear tyres and accelerator pad a.s.o. and overall condition on the other hand, the 7k might be true. I was actually surprised how low the noise level in the car is, after reading all the stories about "loud like a rikshaw". Well, it is actually much better overall than I expected. No other problems with starting, central lock or other things I read here so far, only the breaks need some time to recover after going through deep water. But this forum told me before, so I wasn't too surprised, when they were weaker than normal (but still working).
The speedo actually came back to work and stopped again, once it hit 80km/h when I stopped the car. From 10 to 80 to 0 in less than a second. I already thought, it is electronical. Well, I take it to a free garage on Saturday and keep you updated.

Thanks again
Brother! Nano or any other car, you have to rotate the tyre and check alignment every 5000 kms (people say 10k kms but i do every 5k kms). ALso balancing is a must if you have steel wheel. As steel wheel tends to deform. and you cannot even check with naked eye. Best option is to go for alloy. For Nano it was 8k for the set if i remember correctly.

Nano is very quiet, obviously it will be, have you sat in a Volvo buses. Same thing here, engine at rear.

Only grudge of Nano i have is boot does not open, and its a pain to get to the engine. Being a DIY guy its the biggest disadvantage I saw.

and I just realize Nano is almost tall as Ritz.

TATA nano - List of ALL issues-nano-ritz.jpg

Last edited by SirAlec : 28th July 2013 at 22:38.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 23:29   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Brother! Nano or any other car, you have to rotate the tyre and check alignment every 5000 kms (people say 10k kms but i do every 5k kms).
I tend to disagree with rotating tyres in any other car, I had close to ten different cars until now, and Nano is the first one with that problem, just ran down tyres of a Mahindra without any rotating, no problems, no alignment checks, probably 40.000km.
Only had that problem long time ago with a car that got 185 tyres instead of the original 145s and it was a bit lower than original, so the angle might have been wrong.

Seeing how the wheels in front are fixed at the Nano, there is a good chance that you realign your wheels with every touch down. So for the Nano, that probably depends on how you treat his undercariage. I might try to find a laser measure system. But there is a possibility, that they fixed other tyres since the rear tyres look almost new. So I just keep an eye on the new ones, once I fix them.

Well, Nano is really nice for the city, turns everywhere, fits in almost everywhere, so I live with these small issues. It's coming back tomorrow from a paint job. The speedo by the way repaired itself magically, but I asked them to check anyway.
RajuPrabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 10:47   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The speed of blower of my Nano, sometimes suddenly reduces. For e.g. I am running blower on speed 3 but sometimes the air flow is like the blower is running on 1st speed (when the knob is still at 3rd speed) it continues like this for indefinite time and the speed returns to normal when the car is switched off for some half-hour, this problem happens on long drives. I think that the blower is getting heated-up.
Hi,
This could be caused by dust in your AC cabin filter. Water may condense on the filter and the dust and water together form a dense matting and impede airflow, after you switch off your ac the water either drains off or dries up and the dry dust is more permeable. Try cleaning or replacing the cabin ac filter it may help. I suggest you buy a spare cabin filter so you can swap them out and clean it later. I plan to do so.
ssingri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 11:16   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
Are you referring to remote lock here? If yes you have to get remote kit installed the OEM is Autocop. The total kit may cost upto 3k.
No. the remote lock is already there. I wanted one button to lock the doors centrally from inside the car while driving. Earlier the alarm used to sound if I used the remote to lock it centrally. During the latest service, the SA told me to use the remote lock for central locking after putting it in the ignition. Now there are no alarms! No need for autocop now at least.

The main issue I face with the Nano is the bumpy ride quality. I have been told by some that an anti roll bar will mitigate the bumpiness. Has somebody tried this on a Nano and what are the results?
Also, has someone changed the seats to one with a firmer compound?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 11:40   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
Hi,
This could be caused by dust in your AC cabin filter. Water may condense on the filter and the dust and water together form a dense matting and impede airflow, after you switch off your ac the water either drains off or dries up and the dry dust is more permeable. Try cleaning or replacing the cabin ac filter it may help. I suggest you buy a spare cabin filter so you can swap them out and clean it later. I plan to do so.
I have faced this issue. It happens when you use the temperature control to keep it at a desired level. I live in Bangalore and we have a very pleasant climate here, when I adjust the thermo knob to keep the cabin just cool and not chilled and travelling for a long distance, the AC blower will just give up. I can hear it spinning at high speed but no flow of air. I opened the filter when I was home it wasn't that dirty, cleaned it and put it back. But had experienced the same again on a similar long drive. But on the contrary if I do not adjust the thermostat and instead use the switch to on / off the ac. I do not have that problem at all. On short distance it does not effect. Since we have HVAC which does not have a heater and uses engine coolant via a condenser to heat the cabin, not sure if that heats up and can causes some sought of issue. Though personally I had enough issue with my AC, and ever since it was fixed I dare to talk anything about it to TASS. I just cools perfectly otherwise. I hope this wasn’t long a post, but was able to explain the scenario that happens.
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 16:21   #277
BHPian

Quote:
I have faced this issue. the AC blower will just give up. I can hear it spinning at high speed but no flow of air. I opened the filter when I was home it wasn't that dirty, cleaned it and put it back. But had experienced the same again on a similar long drive. But on the contrary if I do not adjust the thermostat and instead use the switch to on / off the ac. I do not have that problem at all.
Oh well, I thought I was the only one with that problem of sudden reduction in airflow, turns out we have a small group here.
A similar thing happened with my nano, all of a sudden very less air comes through and that too the very next day of cleaning the cabin filter, and yes it was on a sort of a long journey, about 2 hours drive. I thought it had something to do with the filter and pulled out the filter for the rest of the trip, everything worked well after that. No clue why this happens though, but the filter I pulled out was clean and dry too.
Another issue with my nano's AC is that after prolonged use of the AC in full fan speed the motor starts making a weird noise, I feel the motor is on its way out. I doubt I can claim it under warranty as mine is a 2010 car, and I'm not sure when my extended warranty expires.

Last edited by msaudf : 31st July 2013 at 16:22.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 16:38   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have faced this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Oh well, I thought I was the only one with that problem of sudden reduction in airflow
What you are experiencing is freezing of the evaporator core. The Nano air conditioner, I hear, is a very effective unit (failures aside). When there is too much refrigerant running through the system and insufficient air flow, ice builds up on the evaporator core and this causes limited and then no air flow through it. Some solutions are to reduce refrigerant (not recommended), keep switching the air conditioner on/off or switch to full hot air mode so it melts the ice formation.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 16:46   #279
BHPian

Recently, my friend broke the front axle while driving through the monsoon pothole on Mulund street. The car is 2 years old and the insurance guy is not agreeing to fund this fully through the claim. Can somebody help by suggesting some good workshop in Mulund/Thane for doing this work at lower costs but using genuine parts?
yogibear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 17:37   #280
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What you are experiencing is freezing of the evaporator core. The Nano air conditioner, I hear, is a very effective unit (failures aside). When there is too much refrigerant running through the system and insufficient air flow, ice builds up on the evaporator core and this causes limited and then no air flow through it. Some solutions are to reduce refrigerant (not recommended), keep switching the air conditioner on/off or switch to full hot air mode so it melts the ice formation.
sandeepmohan - you nailed it, this makes absolute sense and justifies the scenario. Thanks man, atleast now I know that mine is not faulty unit. So when I have temp knob adjusted the evaporator core simply freeze up and block the air, which does not happen when I have it not adjusted. Thank you!
MadTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 17:45   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have faced this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Oh well, I thought I was the only one with that problem of sudden reduction in airflow, turns out we have a small group here.
I forgot to add in my original response to you. There is something called a thermal expansion valve. This regulates the flow of refrigerant in to the evaporator core. However; this is also based on a sensor on the evaporator core. When the temperature of the evaporator core rises, the sensor picks this up and accordingly adjusts the flow of refrigerant into the evaporator. It now sounds like a faulty sensor on the evaporator unit that isn't functioning well.

Quote:
So when I have temp knob adjusted the evaporator core simply freeze up and block the air, which does not happen when I have it not adjusted
Not sure I followed you here. You can use the thermostat however you wish. Even at the coldest position, it should not freeze the evaporator core. If you adjust it to your preferred temperature, it should still not freeze the evaporator core. Has the air conditioner always been like this or is this a recent development?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 31st July 2013 at 17:49.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 16:32   #282
Senior - BHPian

When is the 3rd service of the Nano due? Is it 2 year and 20K kilometers? I am getting a confusing answer from my dealer; they say 20K or 2 years but the manual has 10K.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 16:52   #283
Senior - BHPian

Problems:

Brakes: Sometimes while braking left wheel locks-up and the car also pulls to left the same time.

Engine: The mileage is only 13-14kmpl in city, I drive it sedately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Nano is very quiet, obviously it will be, have you sat in a Volvo buses. Same thing here, engine at rear.

Attachment 1117904
Nano is very quiet? I find it the most noisiest of the hatchbacks (spare 800), but no complains considering the cost. Have you done any mods to cut down the engine noise?
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 20:43   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
When is the 3rd service of the Nano due? Is it 2 year and 20K kilometers? I am getting a confusing answer from my dealer; they say 20K or 2 years but the manual has 10K.
Nano's 1st service is 1500kms or 3months.
2nd service is 10000kms or 1 year.
3rd service should be 20000kms or 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Problems:

Brakes: Sometimes while braking left wheel locks-up and the car also pulls to left the same time.

Engine: The mileage is only 13-14kmpl in city, I drive it sedately.

Nano is very quiet? I find it the most noisiest of the hatchbacks (spare 800), but no complains considering the cost. Have you done any mods to cut down the engine noise?
I am getting around 16kmpl with full load and 100% AC and above 20 if i drive it sedately within city with occasional AC use.
And regarding the noise,Its noisier when observed from outside but certainly quieter inside.
Only in 1st gear and then taking reverse,Its noisier.Overall its good.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 20:54   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hi Amtak,

Third service is at 10000 to 10500 kms or 12 months whichever is earlier. It's also an important service due to oil change done. After this servicing and oil change can be done after 10000 kms interval.

Hope this helps

Regards
Vishbull_6157 is offline   Reply With Quote