Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th October 2013, 11:24   #316

Default Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

The Tata Nano LX from beginning of 2011 was not used for about a week, and the Exide battery went down. Resurrection with a charger was not possible, it just holds enough energy to keep the electric working for a rolling jump start. One try on the starter and the battery is dead again.
The Tata showroom in Pimpri/Pune was not resourcefull and is referring to another shop, so I don't take the chance of driving the Nano to the showroom and get stuck. A Nano battery seems hard to get in the smaller towns with regular battery showrooms.
So tomorrow I'll be on the bike searching for a battery in Pimpri.

I thought, not even three years battery life is a bit too less. Acid level was fine by the way.

Raj
RajuPrabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 13:57   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajuPrabat View Post
The Tata showroom in Pimpri/Pune was not resourcefull and is referring to another shop, so I don't take the chance of driving the Nano to the showroom and get stuck. A Nano battery seems hard to get in the smaller towns with regular battery showrooms.
So tomorrow I'll be on the bike searching for a battery in Pimpri.

I thought, not even three years battery life is a bit too less. Acid level was fine by the way.
Raju, Battery life depends on how well it is taken care off. I hope you had been to the Pandit showroom next to Hotel Ginger. There are at least 3 battery shops in less than 500 meters from there. And I am sure you would have found battery for Nano in one of those.
From my experience, you get the best deal for an exide battery with exchange of old battery near the Chinchwad circle, diagonally opposite to the Indian Oil petrol pump.
ilangop is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 16:46   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Raju, Battery life depends on how well it is taken care off. I hope you had been to the Pandit showroom next to Hotel Ginger. There are at least 3 battery shops in less than 500 meters from there. And I am sure you would have found battery for Nano in one of those.
From my experience, you get the best deal for an exide battery with exchange of old battery near the Chinchwad circle, diagonally opposite to the Indian Oil petrol pump.
I will take the Nano to Pandit (near Ginger) then and try to find a battery in walking distance. I was just little unexcited about parking the car there, without being sure, that I get a battery. I am not really exited about starting a car with no spark in these days. You can't even push them to life anymore.
I saw some online prices around 3.1k Rs. in exchange, that would be fine.

Thanks for your input, I am a bit more comfortable to drive the car itself now and get the battery exchanged that way.
Raj
RajuPrabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 09:59   #319
BHPian

Quote:
I will take the Nano to Pandit (near Ginger) then and try to find a battery in walking distance. I was just little unexcited about parking the car there, without being sure, that I get a battery. I am not really exited about starting a car with no spark in these days. You can't even push them to life anymore.
I saw some online prices around 3.1k Rs. in exchange, that would be fine.

Thanks for your input, I am a bit more comfortable to drive the car itself now and get the battery exchanged that way.
Raj
Hi Raju,
Plz check the attached pictures.
Map 1
1) Exide shop, ground floor, Sukwani Chambers - Walkable from Pandit
2) Maharashtra Tyres - also stocks batteries, Near BSNL office, On the highway itself - Walkable from Pandit
Map 2
1) Exide shop on the left hand side, immediately after the signal.
3) E
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-exide.jpg  

TATA nano - List of ALL issues-exidechinchwad.jpg  

ilangop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 11:48   #320
Senior - BHPian

A couple of weeks back I have to drive my nano from Thrissur-Trivandrum (300KM) non stop because of some un avoidable reasons.

There were 5 adults and the AC was full on and the drive was at night. Ac was working pefectly fine then.

Now AC started playing around , when switched on only sound comes more but no air !

I had similar issue in my Indica Vista which is now sold , when took it forward The TASS informed me that its a knows issue and it is becasue of the capacity of the condenser. A self evoporated condenser makes the issue.

Is that the same case in Nano ?
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 12:19   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Now AC started playing around , when switched on only sound comes more but no air !
hat the same case in Nano ?
One word. 'icing'.this has been discussed earlier.pls chk this thread
nijelj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 21:42   #322

Quote:
Hi Raju,
Plz check the attached pictures.
Map 1
Thanks a lot for your effort, I went today, and I have to admit, I made a mistake saying, that the acid level of the battery was fine, it looked like that from outside, but in the morning I opened it, and two cells were dry on top. I added some distilled water I bought, so every cell was around max and about 400ml of the water was gone. But after charging the battery it remainded dead. So much for your statement, a battery lasts according to how you treat it. You are right.
After buying the car less than 4 month ago, I am sure, all that "Tata second hand approved with all service thing" didn't include checking the battery level. I don't think, a proper acid level can go down from max to dry in three to four month monsoon season. It never happened to any other of my cars.
So after my other issues, that one tyre was half side blank when I bought the car, the side mirror was not there, just three holes and a dent, and the registration papers haven't arrived yet, I decided not to go to Pandit. I know, I should have checked the side of the car, that was closely parked to the wall properly, before the contract was signed, but I just expected a bit more ... , how do you say that in english, honesty about the car from a showroom.
So to keep myself from being unkind with the Pandit guy who sold the car, I passed Pandit coming from Talegaon side and stopped at Kasarwadi, after some big construction work going on at the crossing/flyover.
There was a small battery showroom on the left side right after that construction. They told me that the Nano battery is not available from Exide, that Exide doesn't even deliver that one, so after a few phone calls with some Exide guy, he arranged a Exide Champion EP32 for me that is a bit bigger, but fits perfectly from height, but is a little wider, just fitting the plastic base for the battery. I rejected a five year warranty battery for 6200 something Rupies.
He asked for 3500Rs with the original in return, I said ok, and on the bill he wrote 3400Rs and gave me a 100 Rs note back, so there might have been some more margin, but I didn't bother. Chai was free. ;-)

I am actually quite fine with the option to have a 32Ah battery now, instead of the original 25Ah. Lifting up the windows on two sides always felt like killing the batteries maximum output, when the engine was switched off. So there is a bit less hassle playing the radio when the engine is off.

Thanks again for your effort I hope in return I could give some information for others seeking for a new battery.
Raj
RajuPrabat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 23:41   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
A couple of weeks back I have to drive my nano from Thrissur-Trivandrum (300KM) non stop because of some un avoidable reasons.

There were 5 adults and the AC was full on and the drive was at night. Ac was working pefectly fine then.

I had similar issue in my Indica Vista which is now sold , when took it forward The TASS informed me that its a knows issue and it is becasue of the capacity of the condenser. A self evoporated condenser makes the issue.

Is that the same case in Nano ?
Icing is the exact reason. Lots of nano's have this same problem.
Does this will occur during highway runs and that too when the ambient temperature is a little cool or when its humid?
It is probably a bad expansion valve which has a temperature probe inserted into the evaporator that senses icing and shuts off the compressor periodically to prevent complete icing and complete loss of air flow.
I face the exact problem when i had no other car and had to take our nano on a 200km round trip. I had to control the compressor cut off manually to keep the air flowing.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 00:28   #324
BHPian

Quote:
So much for your statemenbt, a battery lasts according to how you treat it.

After buying the car less than 4 month ago, I am sure, all that "Tata second hand approved with all service thing" didn't include checking the battery level. I don't think, a proper acid level can go down from max to dry in three to four month monsoon season.

There was a small battery showroom on the left side right after that construction. They told me that the Nano battery is not available from Exide, that Exide doesn't even deliver that one, so after a few phone calls with some Exide guy, he arranged a Exide Champion EP32 for me that is a bit bigger, but fits perfectly from height, but is a little wider, just fitting the plastic base for the battery. I rejected a five year warranty battery for 6200 something Rupies.
He asked for 3500Rs with the original in return, I said ok, and on the bill he wrote 3400Rs and gave me a 100 Rs note back, so there might have been some more margin, but I didn't bother. Chai was free. ;-)

Thanks again for your effort I hope in return I could give some information for others seeking for a new battery.
Raj
Hi raj, nice to know about your experience. Always better to kmow a battery guu and a mdchanic in your neighborhood.
Pandit has been notorious in dealing with customers. They are simply top money minded rather than catering to the customer needs.
Anyways my best wishes for more happy miles with more smiles in your nano
Also please share a picture of how the tata ace or maruti 800 battery was fitted.
ilangop is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 08:28   #325
BHPian

I noticed earlier that there is a lot of white deposit at my battery mounting area on my 2012 Nano.I forgot to mention it at service and surprised that concorde,blr missed it too. Also yesterday my wiper stalk broke.
Has anyone come across such problems before?
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 21:42   #326
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a Tata Nano which has come up with a problem recently, the braking of the car was not that great as it was before so I took it to my local FNG who said that the brake liners will have to be replaced,Well he also said that the brake setting part(a typical 2 inch plate) which is used to set the intensity of braking has one of its part fallen/removed(?) off so the brake can be set to lowest intensity.

so I went to the local tass spare parts store and they don't have the rear set for these parts but sell it as a complete set,they have put it to order but I don't guarantee it. The thing is I'm going to Bombay next week so can anyone direct me where I can get this set of small brake adjusters plates in Bandra,Goregaon area for the Tata Nano. I know I can get this work done if I take it to TASS but those guys are a pain in the backside.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 17:07   #327
BHPian

I am at Tata Concorde showroom in South Ex. They have very little options in audio HU. Speakers offered are unbranded and to top it all they want 2% tops on card payment. So much for flagship dealer. I will raise this issue with the company for sure.
avingodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 06:34   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Aargh!.Since bangalore traffic is hell,no natural cooling for the radiator. had to keep AC on too.Understandably the radiator fan was running overtime.I switched it off and wanted to restart again.it refused to even turnover!Does anybody have this problem? When this happened before,I asked tasc once but they checked and said everything is fine.Any suggestions?
This problem is now becoming more frequent for me.yesterday afternoon it happened that after even half hour of parking,the starter refused to crank.Had to push start the vehicle.drove for a km and then problem was not there.
Another repeatable situation is when multiple restarts come within a few kms. Since my wife is learning to drive,she stalls the vehicle quite a few times.Whenever she completes the 4-5 inevitable stalls,the starter refuses to crank.
Battery voltage shows 11.9v while ignition on.But when this problem is there,(i.e when trying to start and starter not turning) the voltage goes to only 11.4v
But in normal start the voltage goes from 12v to 9v when cranking.
I really feel its the starter relay which is behaving inconsistently,since battery voltage doesn't drop so much when problem is there.
I also have a video of the problem.
I wrote a mail to customer care and within 3 hrs,concorde motors,dairy circle,bangalore called me for appointment.lets see what happens
Old 13th November 2013, 15:05   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
This problem is now becoming more frequent for me.yesterday afternoon it happened that after even half hour of parking,the starter refused to crank
concorde motors,dairy circle,bangalore called me for appointment.lets see what happens
Update:They kept the vehicle for a day and changed the starter motor.

They are also going to change the radiator fan under warranty,since they(not me) think its making too much noise!

Will try to recreate the trigger for starting trouble and update results soon.
Old 16th November 2013, 16:00   #330

Quote:
Also please share a picture of how the tata ace or maruti 800 battery was fitted.
Sorry, took me some time to post the picture, the car was not with me.

The plastic cover on top still needs to be fixed, it will work with a bit of trimming. The picture doesn't show to well, how it is fixed, but at least you can see, it works.
Attached Images

RajuPrabat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote