Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th August 2010, 12:45   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollamraja View Post
Sorry, I have no idea where the a/c filter is located. I did ask the technician whether I can do the filter cleaning myself and he replied I'll have to get it done only at the TASS.
Dear KollamRaja and svsanthosh, I am also facing this filter problem. I am also trying to see a way to do it myself.
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 21:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashw_r View Post
Ride comfort is not to my liking. I tend to be drive slowly on bad roads as otherwise it lets out a disturbing thud over small craters. Also, passengers in the rear seats complain about a bumpy ride.

One other thing, does your silencer bounce if you go over road humps? I keep getting warned by other motorists when this happens. I suspect this is a design thing and there is nothing to worry about but wanted to know other opinions.

PS: - All things said, I am a fan of this car and I think Tata has done a fabulous job. I realize, I might need to adjust my expectations from the cheapest car around.
Yes, its just because of the design. Ask someone else to sit inside and just play with the throttle a little bit and please go behind and have a look at the silencer. You can see it bouncing once it comes back to idle.
freakmuzik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 23:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

what is with nano and fire. ?

Today also there was a news of a blazing nano.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 11:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
what is with nano and fire. ?

Today also there was a news of a blazing nano.
Yeah. A video of the same has also been put in the Nano fire incidents thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2045198-post528.html

And has anybody noticed the absence of the Headlight Leveling switch? Or did i miss it?
freakmuzik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 13:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Yeah. A video of the same has also been put in the Nano fire incidents thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2045198-post528.html

And has anybody noticed the absence of the Headlight Leveling switch? Or did i miss it?
The head light leveling switch is not available in any of the variants of Tata Nano. Kindly refer to the site Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors and under the menu 'explore' , 'comfort & convenience' which gives the complete specification of the tata nano. Against 'Head Lamp Levelling' it claims "Integral feature through innovative suspension design". I do not know what Tata mean by this !!!

Last edited by KMohanan : 29th August 2010 at 13:55. Reason: For correcting a spelling mistake.
Old 29th August 2010, 16:39   #36
kkg
BHPian

I have Nano lx model which comes with manual central locking i.e. knob on the driver's door locks/ unlocks all the doors. Although the central locking mechanism was sometimes not working,today it has gone dead completely. I mean i can not lock and unlock any other doors from the drivers' side.

Any body else having problem with the central locking?
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 17:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I have Nano lx model which comes with manual central locking i.e. knob on the driver's door locks/ unlocks all the doors. Although the central locking mechanism was sometimes not working,today it has gone dead completely. I mean i can not lock and unlock any other doors from the drivers' side.

Any body else having problem with the central locking?
My Nano LX is 6 months old. Covered 7500 kms. So far no problems with the central lock.
Old 4th September 2010, 21:19   #38
BHPian

svsantosh : Wont this ciggy lighter VOID the warranty?

Since the cigar lighter was fitted by the authorised service centre (owned by the dealer, in fact), the warranty problem may not be there. Also, there is a provision for fitting cigar lighter in Nano LX. Since the company providing only the 'hole' for the lighter, the owner can get it fitted at the Authorised Service Centre.

Last edited by KMohanan : 4th September 2010 at 21:22.
Old 5th September 2010, 15:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
svsantosh : Wont this ciggy lighter VOID the warranty?

Since the cigar lighter was fitted by the authorised service centre (owned by the dealer, in fact), the warranty problem may not be there. Also, there is a provision for fitting cigar lighter in Nano LX. Since the company providing only the 'hole' for the lighter, the owner can get it fitted at the Authorised Service Centre.
Precisely to avoid any warranty hazzles, I chose a 'removable' option. As seen in the pic, crocodile clips connect to the battery terminals and the switch box allows control and has an LED indicator too. The cigarette lighter is attached to a 3-pin plug. The LED light in the switch box needed a extra diode to make it work with DC power.

TATA nano - List of ALL issues-dsc05272-large.jpg
kollamraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 13:26   #40
BHPian

I got the delivery of nano CX BS3 last month.

Thanks to KMohanan for pointing out the fuel economy range in each gear. I was under assumption that 4th gear should be engaged as early as poss. to achieve more fuel efficiency. So I was always trying to engage the 4th gear by 40kmph though engine used to strain till 45.
Can you pls. let me know where to see the best fuel economy for each gear?

By the way my last FE check result is 21.3kmpl.

One problem I noticed in my nano - Engine check lamp in the cluster lit on briefly while driving. Dealer could not find the cause of this.
ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 13:38   #41
BHPian

Hi Kollamraja,I see that red wire without any fuse protection very dangerous, if it touch to any grounded body metal wont it catch fire?
ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 16:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
One problem I noticed in my nano - Engine check lamp in the cluster lit on briefly while driving. Dealer could not find the cause of this.
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a loose connector in the oil pressure sensor or hand brake sensor - I don't recall which. But the problem was rectified.

Quote:
Hi Kollamraja,I see that red wire without any fuse protection very dangerous, if it touch to any grounded body metal wont it catch fire?
Really? Thanks for pointing out the danger. Can you enlighten me about adding a fuse protection?
kollamraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 22:17   #43
BHPian

Default Safe way of tapping DC power

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollamraja View Post
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a loose connector in the oil pressure sensor or hand brake sensor - I don't recall which. But the problem was rectified.

Really? Thanks for pointing out the danger. Can you enlighten me about adding a fuse protection?
Dear Raja,

The way you have tapped the DC power is not safe.
(Nano LX is having a provision for cigar lighter. Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors calls it as "High End Console with Provision for Mobile Charger/ Cigarrette lighter". I thought, there will be a company-fitted cigar lighter when I took delivery of the car. But, to my surprise, I have seen only a cap in the cigar lighter place. When I opened the cap, there was only one hole, no cigar lighter. When enquired, the dealer told that this is a 'PROVISION' for fitting a cigar lighter !!!)

I suggest the following method FOR NANO LX owners :
1. While taking the vehicle for servicing, request the tata authorised service station to fit a 'tata genuine cigar lighter'. You should get a bill for the item including the fitment charges. Keep this bill safely for later warranty purposes.

2. Now, you can tap the DC power from the cigar lighter with a male connecter. Ensure that the connector you buy is of good quality. Never bargain and buy from street side. Buy from a standard shop.

3. In this line, you can connect an ON/OFF switch and sockets. Please note that the cigar lighter fitted by tata is through a fuse. So, it is a safer method.

4. Never tap directly from the battery. This is very dangerous. Even when the ignition key is off and removed, the supply will be present. Also, the well-covered terminals of the battery may get exposed and likely to touch other metallic parts/substances leading to undesired incidents....

The above method is for NANO LX owners. NANO CX and Standard owners should consult tata motors for a solution. You can fill the 'feedback' section in the site Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors and send. I have seen, tata replies, if your stars are good !!!

Last edited by KMohanan : 6th September 2010 at 22:19. Reason: Clarity improvement
Old 6th September 2010, 22:42   #44
BHPian

Default best fuel economy for each gear ?

Quote:
I got the delivery of nano CX BS3 last month.

Thanks to KMohanan for pointing out the fuel economy range in each gear. I was under assumption that 4th gear should be engaged as early as poss. to achieve more fuel efficiency. So I was always trying to engage the 4th gear by 40kmph though engine used to strain till 45.
Can you pls. let me know where to see the best fuel economy for each gear?

By the way my last FE check result is 21.3kmpl.

Dear Ramesh,

There is a sticker on your front glass (or somewhere on your dashboard) containing TWO tables : table at top indicates the RUNNING-IN speed limits in each gear and table at bottom indicates the best fuel economy for each gear.

The second table says that :
"Driving your vehicle at following speeds in respective gears will ensure optimum fuel utilisation".

First Gear : 10 kmph.
Second Gear : 20-30 kmph.
Third Gear : 30-50 kmph.
Fourth Gear : 50-70 kmph.

Also, DO NOT BE UNDER THE WRONG IMPRESSION THAT DRIVING IN TOP GEAR WILL ALWAYS GIVE YOU BETTER MILEAGE. Driving your vehicle in top gear when the speed is below 50 kms can be harmful to your gearbox in the long run. SO, IF YOU LOVE YOUR NANO, DRIVE ONLY IN THE APPROPRIATE GEAR.

But, I think, WHAT YOU WANTED TO KNOW IS "WHAT WILL BE THE MILEAGE I GET WHEN I RUN MY CAR IN DIFFERENT GEARS ?"

You can roughly calculate from the gear ratios mentioned in the nano specifications. You will notice that only the fourth gear is overdrive (means > 1)
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:30   #45
kkg
BHPian

Suspension issues with my Nano.

Last week I noticed that the steering wheel has lost its center. My wife usually drives it and ofcourse she didn't notice anything abnormal, I wonder how many kms was it running like that. ANYWAYS, I took it for alignment next day. The guy told me that there is quite a fair bit of play on both the front wheels, may be the bushes are worn out. Worn out bushes on a 6000odd run car, not possible, I took her straight to Tata service center.

Took a fair bit of time to actually get someone to inspect the car, i literally had to request them to take a look at the car such was the state at the service center. It was finally concluded that either the shocker (RHS)or the suspension arm has gone for the toss due to some pothholes etc. and has to be replaced. Also the right wheel was touching the shocker on the full right U turn. I could not argue since the state of Delhi roads has become worse in last few days.

I left the car today and was told that the total estimate would be provided only after full diagnose. Got a call around 3 pm that the car is ready and the suspension arm is changed and alignment is done. I won't to be able to collect the car as it is raining heavily.One more thing, SA told me that the part costs around Rs 450 and the labour is Rs 550, doesn't sound good to me. Any how, will collect the car tomorrow morning. Now my query is:

1. if it can happen once, it can happen twice, the roads are the same and unfortunately would remain the same.Is nano's suspension system this soft and delicate.?

2. I never really thought very highly of the nano's suspension, its kind of bouncy and all but never thought that it would give up so easily and so soon. Any design issues?

Any one else having trouble with nanos' suspension??
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote