Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th July 2015, 12:32   #451
BHPian

Default Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
The above statement by Zaheer is why I think that the clutch is gone.
You are correct. Non uniformity(Sometimes not noticeable) of the motion is my main concern. Though hard Cutch is manageable for me as I travel mostly on Weekends only in my Nano. But then I have not noticed any loss of power or mileage. The pick is good too. I am getting 21+ kmpl consistently, that's the reason I got confused. I will get a second opinion soon from some expert mechanic. Regarding the cost of Cultch plate assembly I was given a rough estimate of Rs. 3500-4000! They will change the Clutch plate and pressure plate etc. I am new to this so I am actually going through youtube to see how a Clutch plate actually works

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th July 2015 at 12:36. Reason: n > and. Please refrain from using SMS lingo while posting on the forums. Thanks!
zaheer5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 12:44   #452
BHPian

Just like owners of original Enfields have learnt the workings of the Internal Combustion engine, so too shall owners of Nanos learn about the workings of the clutch, Radiatior, the window motors, the suspension and of course the brakes :-)
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 13:33   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Did they cover it under warranty without any hassles? I am asking this because the last time TASC asked me that if the arm is bent then I will have to pay it from my pocket to get it replaced, it is not covered under warranty.

BTW, can I use your case as reference for TASC in case they deny warranty on arm replacement?
Sure, I'll scan and send you the invoice?
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 16:46   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
You are correct. Non uniformity(Sometimes not noticeable) of the motion is my main concern. Though hard Cutch is manageable for me as I travel mostly on Weekends only in my Nano. But then I have not noticed any loss of power or mileage. The pick is good too. I am getting 21+ kmpl consistently, that's the reason I got confused. I will get a second opinion soon from some expert mechanic. Regarding the cost of Cultch plate assembly I was given a rough estimate of Rs. 3500-4000! They will change the Clutch plate and pressure plate etc. I am new to this so I am actually going through youtube to see how a Clutch plate actually works
Are you getting 21 Kmpl in city drives? or on Highways? I never got more than 16 kmpl in city with AC ON all the time. On highways I get 22 kmpl+ with AC ON and speeds between 80-100 Kmph.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 17:28   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Are you getting 21 Kmpl in city drives? or on Highways?
I drive almost all the time on the out skirts of the City without traffic and I never use AC. I live in Nasik which has got a pleasant weather and no traffic issues except for a few roads in the main City. And my driving style is defensive. I am very careful about getting best mileage you can say that I try to drive in a way as to get maximum mileage! On Highways my best figure(Only once) is 29 kmpl (Without AC) in night driving conditions. I was having doubt about the figure but then I have got whole logs with me so it might be true. I have used the method of filling the Tank fully. But yes while driving at 80 kmph I do get around 24 kmpl that's for sure on highways. And I do agree that in City traffic conditions even I will around16 kmpl with AC on.
zaheer5776 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 23:33   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Did they cover it under warranty without any hassles?
BTW, can I use your case as reference for TASC in case they deny warranty on arm replacement?
Here you go. Hope this helps. This was done at Concorde, they really are the bench mark as Authorized Service Centres go.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-p_20150714_075700_1.jpg  

nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 00:07   #457
Senior - BHPian

A few issues on which I need suggestions :
1) The SA said that engine mountings A and B needs replacement, and are not covered under warranty as they are rubber parts, my car has run only 32000 Kms. Can anybody confirm if this part is covered under warranty or not?

2) Water droplets get accumulated in the front fog light there is no crack or physical damage to it, the SA again said that this is not covered under warranty. Is it so?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Here you go. Hope this helps. This was done at Concorde, they really are the bench mark as Authorized Service Centres go.
Thanks. They did the rear alignment without any hassles. I got a few more works done :

1) Condensor fan was making noise, got it replaced under warranty.
2) Indicator stalk was not working got it replaced under warranty.
3) Rear wheel alignment.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 10:01   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
Boy!
Get the cable replaced first. Insist that the service centre replaces it or else you will pass on the feedback to Tata. Tata Motors Pune call centre usually calls a couple of days after the car has been out of the service centre to know your feedback.

For irregular acceleration you may want to check the fuel filter and air filter first. My Accord had a bad acceleration issue which was traced to bad fuel and a clogged fuel filter. Also check the spark plugs.

Be firm in what you want the service centre to do. Tell them you want it done this way to diagnose the actual problem. They may try to fool you, by exploiting your lack of automobile knowledge.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 08:29   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
The life of the clutch is notoriously low on the Nano.

I have replaced under warranty the 1st clutch at 20,ooo kms. Now at 42,000 kms , I feel that this clutch is on its way out too.

Luckily , it is not very expensive, less than Rs.1,500/-

Totally agree with john doe. I faced a similar situation. My Nano has done 60,800 Kms as of today.It's 4.5 years old now. However I replaced the clutch assembly twice. Once at around 30000 and the second at around 57000 Kms. I feel that the clutch assembly has a life of 20000 to 30000 Kms in the Nano.

One can replace just the clutch cable and release bearing, however this does not last longer than 5000 Kms. After that point the clutch tends to become really hard like that of a truck! Also the cost difference between cable and assembly replacement is not much in a Nano. If I remember correctly I paid around 2200 for clutch assembly at Maximus, ,Attapur, Hyderabad.

Another observation I made recently is when I visited Chennai and saw my uncle's Nano there. It ran 27000 kms, but he didn't realise that the clutch is totally gone in their Nano. It takes a long time to gain acceleration. I advised him to immediately change the clutch assembly.
Cuatro is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 15:06   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatro View Post
Totally agree with john doe. I faced a similar situation. My Nano has done 60,800 Kms as of today.It's 4.5 years old now. However I replaced the clutch assembly twice. Once at around 30000 and the second at around 57000 Kms. I feel that the clutch assembly has a life of 20000 to 30000 Kms in the Nano.

One can replace just the clutch cable and release bearing, however this does not last longer than 5000 Kms. After that point the clutch tends to become really hard like that of a truck! Also the cost difference between cable and assembly replacement is not much in a Nano. If I remember correctly I paid around 2200 for clutch assembly at Maximus, ,Attapur, Hyderabad.

Another observation I made recently is when I visited Chennai and saw my uncle's Nano there. It ran 27000 kms, but he didn't realise that the clutch is totally gone in their Nano. It takes a long time to gain acceleration. I advised him to immediately change the clutch assembly.
Is this the case even after timely adjustment?
We used to have a nano in our family for 4 years and the car did 45,000kms with us. I've felt the clutch become slightly hard and the clutch bite to occur late/high in the clutch travel. All I would do was simply open up the engine cover and spray a dab of WD40 over the adjuster nut and tighten the adjuster one thread. It would restore the biting point to the middle of the clutch travel.
I hope you tried adjusting the clutch.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 17:23   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
All I would do was simply open up the engine cover and spray a dab of WD40 over the adjuster nut and tighten the adjuster one thread. It would restore the biting point to the middle of the clutch travel.
I hope you tried adjusting the clutch.

Thanks for this suggestion. Nope , I didn't do these adjustments because I didn't know how to. So I took the car to my usual service center. From previous experience I guessed that it is the case of clutch release bearing or cable issue. In any case, even if these adjustments are done, I have a feeling they would not last much due to the parts wear and tear. After replacement of clutch parts, I now believe that in case of Tata Nano they do not last for longer time periods.

For a smoother experience it's better we replace them and move on.
Cuatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 12:05   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
@knaveen,

Does this sound metallic and is more pronounced during braking esp a little hard braking? In that case it might be an issue with the shocks. I had this issue and they identified it as a shocks issue, which they changed during second service. As for me the issue still remains because i do not know what they have replaced.
Sorry for the late reply. Internet connection was off for sometime.

The issue was due to some play behind the speedometer console. The service center folks inserted a couple of pieces of thermocol and it resolved the issue (for now?). I was good with this as i did not want them to mess with the dashboard anymore.
knaveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 12:08   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I doubt if it is behind the steering rod. Since filters require regular cleaning , it might be easily accessible . Try searching it behind the passenger side dash. I am sorry , unable to make out much from the attached pic. A screw seems to be missing. Did you try to open the cover ?
This was due to the angle which the pic was taken. And yes due to the packaging by tata, it is difficult to access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I have been doing this every 4months in my Nano and it keeps the ac working like new. Don't worry about the steering rod, just unscrew the two screws (most difficult part of the job as normal size star screwdrivers are bit too long) and pull out the filter. I won't break as it is very flexible .
Thanks for the inputs. Pulled out the filter and there was no visible dust, hence put it back. How ever washed the AC condenser with a gentle stream of water and that seemed to do the trick, now the cooling is proper.

Reached the 10k mark and now the car is with TASS for service. Have noticed uneven wear on the other edges of the front tyre. Have notified the service center folks on this during interim visit around 5k mark, they did realignment and again it started going bad after 7k kms. Now the front left tyre was almost bald towards the edges, checked the alignment and it was way off. Fixed it at a local store. Have raised this issue with TASS during this service and they had agreed to replace the front tyres. I have to pay close to 1.6k for both the tyres, which i thought was good since tyres are not covered under the Gold AMC. Trying to get the tyres replaced with Bridgestones instead of the JKs that it came with.
Awaiting further updates from TASS. Another issue was a creaking noise from the rear when going over uneven roads, the folks at TASS said this was due to a bolt broken off which holds the silencer, they have replaced it. Yet to see the car to verify this.

Apart from these, the car is performing excellent, taking bad roads/no roads with ease. The avg that i get is around 17.5km/l with 20% traffic, hoping this might improve post this service.

Last edited by knaveen : 15th August 2015 at 12:14.
Old 19th August 2015, 12:57   #464
BHPian

Got the car back from service. Paid Rs.1644 for replacement of two tyres and balancing weights. The tyres are from JK again. Found that the rear seats were soiled(possibly by mechanics with their greased hands) and someone had plucked out the 12V socket cap. Brought it to the notice of the SA, he promptly had folks clean it, since it was art leather covers, cleaning was easy. Regarding the socket cap, he went inside and came back with a cap (possibly from a different nano). I asked him the original one will have a plastic tag to keep it from falling off when unplugged. He said the only way he can get that is to replace the entire 12v socket unit. He said he will arrange for a pickup and get this done.
Now im having second thoughts of them messing with the car's electricals. I can live without this cap, but i was irritated by their careless attitude. The service guys had no business in messing with the 12V socket during this service.
Old 19th August 2015, 16:03   #465
BHPian

Hello friends.
This is my first post on T-BHP.

I recently changed the rear tyres to MRF at 24k kms in my Nano.
Costed 4700/- for both rear tyres. Front tyres were changed in April this year, they are MRF too.
I had got stock JK fitted in my nano, which were not of good quality. I have heard similar experiences with JK tyres from fellow nano owners whom I know.

I also, got clutch kit changed (includes, clutch cable, plate, flywheel etc) during the 5th service (Paid). Bill attached here for everyone's reference.
The complaint I had with the clutch was that it had become extremely hard.
TASS had adviced to change it.
Now the clutch is extremely smooth, like in new car.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-wp_20150808_001.jpg  

TATA nano - List of ALL issues-wp_20150808_002.jpg  

TATA nano - List of ALL issues-wp_20150801_001.jpg  

pankajn1702 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote