Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th February 2011, 20:32   #76
BHPian

Default Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
LOL the entire CLUTCH assy is 1200Rs..!! Damn, can it get any cheaper. Its cheaper than the enfield bullet's kit full.
I agree that the clutch assembly is cheaper. But, the clutch assembly needed 'replacement' after just 15000 kms in a brand new vehicle !!! Not good for tata.
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 15:19   #77
ash

Default Re: Tata Nano : 15000 Km Status Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
3. The tata motors modification kit (offered free) programme was also utilised. (see the bill, items marked '1').
What's in the modification kit? Couldn't find any references to it on the net...
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 22:30   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
What's in the modification kit? Couldn't find any references to it on the net...
I asked them. They told : (a) Mains line in wiring (now equipped with a fuse, it seems) (b) some sleeves for the exhaust system (heat sleeves ?) (c) Software change for ECU to incorporate engine shutdown when over temperature occurs. Also, they said, they have cleared the error list in the ECU. I understand (I may be wrong) that the ECU logs an error list whenever an error condition occurs. eg. when you cross 105 kms speed in top gear, the fuel supply trips to prevent overspeeding. This condition will be logged as an error in the log which can be read by the service centre when you take the vehicle next time for service. They must have cleared all the so far error list !!!
Old 26th February 2011, 14:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
I asked them. They told : (a) Mains line in wiring (now equipped with a fuse, it seems) (b) some sleeves for the exhaust system (heat sleeves ?) (c) Software change for ECU to incorporate engine shutdown when over temperature occurs. Also, they said, they have cleared the error list in the ECU. I understand (I may be wrong) that the ECU logs an error list whenever an error condition occurs. eg. when you cross 105 kms speed in top gear, the fuel supply trips to prevent overspeeding. This condition will be logged as an error in the log which can be read by the service centre when you take the vehicle next time for service. They must have cleared all the so far error list !!!
They performed this same modification process in my car too during the second service and thanks a lot for the details! Btw, did you receive any free mainatenance scheme for your car? I had received a letter stating that TATA Motors offer me a free maintenance contract called the "Silver Annual Maintenance Contract" free of cost for 2 years/2 services. The two services mean two services that have oil change, etc and includes all labour, oils, filters and all other consumables. This is valid till July 2012 but I have to contact the dealer for the booklet! Any info on this? Have any other owners received such things?

The problems that i have faced are:
1) Squeaking noise from the driver seat (Solved by A.S.S)
2) Left Door Rattle:I think it was from the door handle (Solved by A.S.S)
3) Squeaking noise from the brakes (Solved, but still occurs occasionaly)
4) AC blower selection knob, I mean the one to opt for windscreen/footwell,etc. It does not rotate completely and we get a feeling that its about to break off and after the first two modes, never slots in correctly. (Unsolved as issue seen in all Nano's in the dealership).
5) Defective sun visors : They have been defective right from the day of purchase, both of them. It does not fit in the clip and does not retract properly also. Pars yet to be procured!!!!!!! Its been 6 months!! (Unsolved)
6) Seat recliner lever is very hard to operate and the seat does not go back smoothly (unsolved)

The issues 1,2 and 3 were solved only after visiting again after the second service!

Last edited by freakmuzik : 26th February 2011 at 14:23.
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 20:26   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
They performed this same modification process in my car too during the second service and thanks a lot for the details! Btw, did you receive any free mainatenance scheme for your car? I had received a letter stating that TATA Motors offer me a free maintenance contract called the "Silver Annual Maintenance Contract" free of cost for 2 years/2 services. The two services mean two services that have oil change, etc and includes all labour, oils, filters and all other consumables. This is valid till July 2012 but I have to contact the dealer for the booklet! Any info on this? Have any other owners received such things?

The problems that i have faced are:
1) Squeaking noise from the driver seat (Solved by A.S.S)
2) Left Door Rattle:I think it was from the door handle (Solved by A.S.S)
3) Squeaking noise from the brakes (Solved, but still occurs occasionaly)
4) AC blower selection knob, I mean the one to opt for windscreen/footwell,etc. It does not rotate completely and we get a feeling that its about to break off and after the first two modes, never slots in correctly. (Unsolved as issue seen in all Nano's in the dealership).
5) Defective sun visors : They have been defective right from the day of purchase, both of them. It does not fit in the clip and does not retract properly also. Pars yet to be procured!!!!!!! Its been 6 months!! (Unsolved)
6) Seat recliner lever is very hard to operate and the seat does not go back smoothly (unsolved)

The issues 1,2 and 3 were solved only after visiting again after the second service!

Problems 4 and 6, every nano owner is facing. Low quality of components !!!
Old 28th February 2011, 02:22   #81
kkg
BHPian

Since I am having loss of coolant problems in my other car ( chevy Spark)

http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/97250-chevy-spark-coolant-getting-into-engine.html

I decided to check the coolant level in my Nano today. I opened the stupid six screws of the engine cover and had a look at the coolant bottle. To my surprise, the level was well below the marked MIN level. I remember very well that coolant was topped up ( around 300ml) in the last service which was around two months back. The car has covered only 800kms after that and lost coolant.There were no visible marks of it on the engine or around the bottle. I just can not believe my bad luck with this coolant stuff these days.

However I topped it up with water and will keep an eye on it for the days to come.

Anybody else having such issue?

Last edited by kkg : 28th February 2011 at 02:23.
kkg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 21:40   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Since I am having loss of coolant problems in my other car ( chevy Spark)

http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/97250-chevy-spark-coolant-getting-into-engine.html

I decided to check the coolant level in my Nano today. I opened the stupid six screws of the engine cover and had a look at the coolant bottle. To my surprise, the level was well below the marked MIN level. I remember very well that coolant was topped up ( around 300ml) in the last service which was around two months back. The car has covered only 800kms after that and lost coolant.There were no visible marks of it on the engine or around the bottle. I just can not believe my bad luck with this coolant stuff these days.

However I topped it up with water and will keep an eye on it for the days to come.

Anybody else having such issue?
Thank you kkg. I have run 1500 kms after my last service. I checked now. The coolant level is much below the minimum marking !!! Also, in the process of opening the engine cover (6 screws), i got a long bolt lying in the side of the cover. Don't know, what bolt it is !!! They must have forgotten to fit the bolt in the last service !!! The way tata has put the oil and coolant checking is very awkward. It is very tedious to remove all the six screws and access the engine !!! I think, all these issues are compelling me to sell my car soon !!!

Last edited by KMohanan : 28th February 2011 at 22:04.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:22   #83
BHPian

hey friends,

was there an increase in engine temperature due to the low coolant. is there a temperature gauge for NANO. please do check the engine oil level too.
harryms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 14:01   #84
BHPian

Exclamation Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

My sister bought a Nano recently and ran into some problems with the delivery (Detailed here:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nano-sale.html (Advice needed - Cheated by dealer on Nano sale)). We are now trying to get the dealer to fit some accessories like Central Locking / OE Stereo system.

However, the dealer says they prefer not to do any of these as they don't want to mess up with the electricals on the Nano and are advising us to get it done outside! They are in fact willing to give us cash (cost of accessories asked for minus ~3K) instead of fixing the central locking / music system.

Is the Nano's electrical setup really so fragile? If so, I am not sure how going to some external shop would help matters!

Last edited by spindoc : 9th March 2011 at 14:05.
spindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 08:49   #85
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

I own a Nano LX model(yellow!) brought from KHT motors Bangalore in Nov end and till now have done close to 6000 kms. Delivery was far from perfect. They delivered with the speedometer disconnected. Had to take delivery and drive straight to their workshop to get it fixed. Windshield washer bottle didnot have any water in it. On driving back home, found out that the headlight high beam was not working. All these within 12 hours of delivery!

Took it back to sevice centre , they changed the entire combination switch assy and headlight was working, but on the drive back found that now the wiper was not working!!!!! Took it back again, they fiddled with the fuses and wola it was working... Troubles didnt end there . The rear left door central lock actuator wasnt working from day one and finally got it fixed by replacing the actuator under warranty!

Got all these fixed and now touchwood its running fine. The trouble with TATA is that they have a great concept let down by shoddy service backup. The FIRST thing thay have to do is to seperate the service between commercial and private vehicles. Especially here in Bangalore you end up with all meru cabs and sumo taxis. and then make these guys replace things under warranty which they are very very reluctant to do.

Otherwise I am very satisfied with the car , the space, the economy and its shear cuteness. Things i dont like so much are the bumpy ride, the rev limiter and the noise.Overall I would say I am satisfied customer and lets see how Tata service will hold up in the future.
Nanolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 11:56   #86
BHPian

They did the upgrade in my car too, But next day while i was driving there was a strange noise in the engine when i pressed the accelerator, but it disappeared after a minute or so.
Was so scared to press accelerator.

Then the cetral locking was not working
they gave a phone no of the central lock company, he came and told that the tata service had removed the connection all together.
Overall the service was pathetic.

I was looking for a new car, after seeing the service centre(in preparana - peenya) I decided i am not buying any tata or fiat vehicles.
There are so many cabs for servicing - the mentality of the service personal is also adjusted to their behaviour.
DoNotHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 20:16   #87
BHPian

My friend is also having a Tata Nano LX. He has fitted the Nippon CD player (model 202 or so) from Tata Dealership itself. This system was from the list of audio systems recommended by tata motors for tata nano. It is one year now. Initially the CD player worked perfectly. After carrying out the tata free modifications/upgradation, the power supply to the music system started showing trouble - like loose contact - suddenly the supply gets cut off and NO FRONT PANEL DISPLAY AFTER THAT. He took the car to the dealership. He told me that the dealer has repaired as many as 10 times this electric problem. STILL THE PROBLEM CONTINUES. He is now planning to officially take up the complaint with Tata motors.

Any one of you have faced this problem ??
Old 10th May 2011, 19:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

Im contemplating buying a Nano Lx. Can existing owners come forward and post more feedback about ownership issues and niggles.
Kindly see the thread link ;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-buy-nano.html
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 19:34   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Hello everyone,

Im contemplating buying a Nano Lx. Can existing owners come forward and post more feedback about ownership issues and niggles.
Kindly see the thread link ;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-buy-nano.html
1) Dont take their music system.

2) Mine had water leakage during rains (from the front). repaired by a very helpful staff at Worli

3) Air conditioning is amazing but you will have to get the filter cleaned every 4000 kms. Its a small thing below the dash.

4) If you looking to go on the highway you should look at other options (u va or i10, although the leg room in the Nano is unmatched)
jasher26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 22:11   #90
BHPian

Unhappy Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

This is really a nice thread about various issues experienced by Nano owners, but before even I can start to talk about my experience with my new Nano, I have some bad news, I met with a minor accident last Saturday.

My car was delivered to me on the 13th of May 2011 and was really enjoying the experience till last week (this is my first car). I have already clocked more than 500 kms on the first week itself.

It was a bright Saturday morning. I cleaned the car was all set to go to my friends engagement ceremony with my fiancé. We started off around 11.00 AM and reached there about 11.45 AM. After that, as I wasn’t satisfied with my car’s ICE installation, I planned to take it to EVO located at Cambridge layout to get it fixed.
As we were heading towards EVO, playing music on my new installed Stereo, my fiancé commented that my phone must be ringing, I lowered the music volume to confirm if it was ringing or not, in that fraction of second I took my sight off the road and damn ! There was bolero pick-up truck that had stopped suddenly right in front of me. Before I could even realize. I slammed my brakes, but it was too late. I was on the third gear and was doing around 40 KMPH, the car skid and hit the bolero from behind, before I could react to what was happening, the bolero driver looked back and drove off. Meanwhile, all the cars behind me started honking. I stopped the car, got down to see the damage. The bonnet was smashed, and headlamps were misaligned. My fiancé got hurt on her elbow, It was really a tense situation!!, luckily I had my friend (a member here) nearby, gave him a call. He was there in no time and immediately decided to drive it straight to the service station and get it fixed.
Took the car to the Prerana service located on Hosur road. Their approach was surprisingly good, the Insurance survey paperwork etc were done in no time. They will be replacing the front bonnet / assembly. They have ordered the parts already and hopefully the repairs will be done by this Friday.

Anyway I will be including this in my ownership review. Just thought of sharing my experience. Looking back at the accident, I would say the brakes weren't powerful enough, but again I can’t blame the car as I was at fault.
MadTiger is offline   Reply With Quote