Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th May 2011, 12:51   #91
BHPian

Unhappy Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

My Nov-2010, 9500KM Nano LX had its accelerator cable broken . That too when it was on a road trip about 10KM away from nearest town. Car is driven by my father, he is extremely cautious driver, and driving cars for last 40 odd years!

Local garage was able do a 'jugad' by tying wire to the broken cable and bring car back to town. Nearest authorized TATA service station is good 100KM away from where the car is used. The OEM accelerator cable was sent by TATA dealer the same day, it costed Rs. 160 . The pack included cable, sleeve and also the connectors. Same local mechanic is now going to put the OEM cable. I am surprised that the cable actually broke so early in life.
shyaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 00:57   #92
BHPian

Default Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Hello All,

Today my Nano clocked 1000 KM I took it to Kolar CCD from BLR JP Nagar, the drive was amazing. It gave me over 25 KMPL apporx. Its now due for its first service. I want to update all Nano users if any one has ever tried out to bottom out the tank. I did! I took a note when the fuel indicator showed the last mark and guess what it bottom'd out after covering 70 KM's!! I guess this info comes handy to all. I was real panicky before this test as to understand how far can I go from the last mark. From today onward I can breathe easy
BTW I also took her to the top speed it went to 110 KM and the ECU cut off!

PS: Without AC and light BLR traffic was the condition for the test. Any one can plus / minus 5% of the result.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-1000-km.jpg  

MadTiger is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 10:36   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
Hello All,

Today my Nano clocked 1000 KM I took it to Kolar CCD from BLR JP Nagar, the drive was amazing. It gave me over 25 KMPL apporx. Its now due for its first service. I want to update all Nano users if any one has ever tried out to bottom out the tank.
The "bottoming out" experiment, I used to do with my maruti 800 decade back (may be once in six months or so) to measure exact fuel efficiency. I used to carry 2 litre of petrol in a can with me to fill where the car stops.

I am not doing this now thinking that the new generation cars being fuel injection type, the likely presence of dust etc at tank bottom may cause injector blocks.

However, your experiment will be very useful to the nano owners to know that it runs approx 70 kms more. After all fuel bars vanish and the 'E' symbol (Empty Indicator) blinks, I used to 'ASSUME' that the vehicle will safely run for 40 more kms and fill petrol from a good pump before that.

Regarding the top speed, I agree. As I have already pointed out in one of my earlier posts, my car also cuts off nearly 110 kms. It is easy to reach 110 kmph in nano, BUT BRAKING PERFORMANCE AT THAT SPEED MAY NOT BE VERY FAVOURABLE FOR YOU. So, I always restrict max speed to 80 kmph except for situations of chains of trucks coming in front of you.
KMohanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 12:13   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
The "bottoming out" experiment, I used to do with my maruti 800 decade back (may be once in six months or so) to measure exact fuel efficiency. I used to carry 2 litre of petrol in a can with me to fill where the car stops.

It is easy to reach 110 kmph in nano, BUT BRAKING PERFORMANCE AT THAT SPEED MAY NOT BE VERY FAVOURABLE FOR YOU. So, I always restrict max speed to 80 kmph except for situations of chains of trucks coming in front of you.
Hello KMohanan,

I completely agree with you on this statement "BUT BRAKING PERFORMANCE AT THAT SPEED MAY NOT BE VERY FAVOURABLE FOR YOU". I have been driving with an official license over 10 years! (Yes I got my license when I just completed 18 ) But one negligence landed me almost in a big soup but fortunately nothing much happened except a bonet replacement, you can read my experience here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2364429 (TATA nano - List of ALL issues) Thanks for the advise happy motoring !
MadTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 19:59   #95
BHPian

Quote:

Looking back at the accident, I would say the brakes weren't powerful enough, but again I canít blame the car as I was at fault.
Really sorry to hear that, but thankfully no one was seriously hurt and thats what matters in the end, yes it hurts us deeeply.

Even i had my running board banged against a stone which was not visible and my car was @ service centre for 6-7 days.

About brakes, since the front wheels are Puny, there is not much the brakes can do.They lock easily and its scary in rains.

And i guess the bolero guy ran away since he must be at fault.

This car will test your anticipation if your doing speeds above 50, so be carefull buddy.

I have done 1450kms and brake pedal seems to have loosened up, need to set it up again.

And thanks for the post regarding testing FE, i did test it that way and on on occasion got 21.1 with 4 adults and 70% AC on with 70% Highway drive.

Also my tank seems to take more than 15 litres easily, i experienced this 2 times atleast when it took close to 2 litres more ( filled it at a reputed pump where the attendant also mentioned that i can check using a can ).

My experience regarding accident repair was good. Fortune motors did a good job, but there were few niggles that they which they sorted out later.

As far as issues, i have touchwood faced none!
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 20:02   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Today my Nano clocked 1000 KM off!
Congratulations.

Please check out my pic from my thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...o-my-life.html

for the pic of console when it touched 1000, im sure you will love it.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:45   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Also my tank seems to take more than 15 litres easily, i experienced this 2 times atleast when it took close to 2 litres more ( filled it at a reputed pump where the attendant also mentioned that i can check using a can ).
You are not supposed to fill more than the 'AUTO CUT-OFF' point. If you try to further fill, another two more liters you will be able to fill. But, it is very dangerous as it may lead to fuel leak.
KMohanan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 20:48   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
You are not supposed to fill more than the 'AUTO CUT-OFF' point. If you try to further fill, another two more liters you will be able to fill. But, it is very dangerous as it may lead to fuel leak.
Thanks for the info, i will henceforth ensure that i dont fill beyond AUTO cutoff.
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:03   #99
BHPian

I got my car serviced from TASS today (1st service).

Here are the issues I had:

1) While releasing clutch, the clutch cable makes noise and it felt as if something is holding it.

2) Dashboard noisy while on rough roads

3) While driving on a higher gear at a lower rpm there is squeak from the rear part of the car.

4) Steering wheel miss aligned.

I gave the car yesterday and was promised that it would be delivered yesterday itself. As I was busy at work, I could not collect it. I reached the Hosur road TASS today at around 1 pm. Thought that they would have a lunch break from 1 pm to 2 pm. They said "Sir wait for 20 minutes we'll have the car and paper work ready". I sat in the air conditioned waiting room (Customer Lounge), It was 10 minutes to 2 and I walked out of the sitting area to ask how long it will take. They said "it's ready they are getting the car". I see my car drove toward me - fresh and clean. I asked the "Technical Adviser", are all the issues taken care? "Yes Sir" he answered. I asked him if I could take a test ride to ensure that ? "Sir we have already taken the test ride the car is perfect" I said I still want to take a test ride. The "Technical Adviser" calls "Workshop engineer" to company me in the test ride.

First thing first, the clutch is the same and nothing has been done!! Which was a big concern for me. When I asked why it was not taken care, "Workshop engineer" says "Sir we checked it was fine, don't worry we will check again"

Rest issues felt OK and resolved. We drove back to TASS. The "Technical Adviser" advised to put some oil / grease. No luck.

I said boss stop your trial and error change the cable! They did that finally but had to wait for another 30 mins Finally after the cable was replaced the clutch was butter smooth. Before I bid them adieu, surprise! "Sir your AC blower motor is short we have ordered replacement part will inform you once we receive the part" Now I remember why the blower fuse blew few weeks back.

Thank you TASS and I'm outta here!
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
I got my car serviced from TASS today (1st service).

Here are the issues I had:

1) While releasing clutch, the clutch cable makes noise and it felt as if something is holding it.

2) Dashboard noisy while on rough roads

3) While driving on a higher gear at a lower rpm there is squeak from the rear part of the car.

4) Steering wheel miss aligned.

Thank you TASS and I'm outta here!
I guess the clutch problem persists with almost all the Nanos. I already have got it replaced twice in my car! Now its working fine.
BTW, how was the accident repair done on your car? Was it satisfactory?

And the accelerator cable of my car broke too while on the road! But the 24x7 helpline people were pretty quick and solved it. The A/C seems to be a little inefficient now, so I guess it is time to clean the blower!

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:13   #101
Senior - BHPian

I am going to avoid commenting on the other 'its-a-nano-thing' issues, we have to live with it, but keep updating/educating...

But, anyone who has a the nano as the 1st car, or 1st time car owners -- DONT run the tank dry just to see whats the real capacity of the tank/etc etc... it will RUIN the fuel pump totally!! Of course over a few such attempts. These delicate things are not designed to run dry and the other risk is running dry and refilling will push any dust/residue at the bottom of the tank and un-necessarily block the filter!!
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:32   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I guess the clutch problem persists with almost all the Nanos. I already have got it replaced twice in my car! Now its working fine.
BTW, how was the accident repair done on your car? Was it satisfactory?

And the accelerator cable of my car broke too while on the road! But the 24x7 helpline people were pretty quick and solved it. The A/C seems to be a little inefficient now, so I guess it is time to clean the blower!

Cheers!
Hello freakmuzik,

I would say I was lucky enough as the damage was just on the bonet part and the front bay stay, so the bonet was replaced and the bay stay pulled up, believe it or not the bay stay can be pulled up by two men, that thin metal sheet it has The paint job was great, so once my review write up is ready I will post both Pics before and after. I bet you can't make out

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

But, anyone who has a the nano as the 1st car, or 1st time car owners -- DONT run the tank dry just to see whats the real capacity of the tank/etc etc... it will RUIN the fuel pump totally!! Of course over a few such attempts. These delicate things are not designed to run dry and the other risk is running dry and refilling will push any dust/residue at the bottom of the tank and un-necessarily block the filter!!
Hello svsantosh,

Yes I have to agree completely with you on this, as this is really a delicate car, I just did the test to get a rough estimation for the miniature tank it has. I used to get panicky as soon as it reached the last mark. Prerna guys told me that each mark denotes 3 liters, if that was so then the tank has to be 18 liters . What I believe it has 2.5 liters each mark and 1.5 liters from blinking E

Last edited by MadTiger : 23rd June 2011 at 00:37. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:30   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Hello freakmuzik,

I would say I was lucky enough as the damage was just on the bonet part and the front bay stay, so the bonet was replaced and the bay stay pulled up, believe it or not the bay stay can be pulled up by two men, that thin metal sheet it has The paint job was great, so once my review write up is ready I will post both Pics before and after. I bet you can't make out

Hello svsantosh,

Yes I have to agree completely with you on this, as this is really a delicate car, I just did the test to get a rough estimation for the miniature tank it has. I used to get panicky as soon as it reached the last mark. Prerna guys told me that each mark denotes 3 liters, if that was so then the tank has to be 18 liters . What I believe it has 2.5 liters each mark and 1.5 liters from blinking E
Good to know that the work was done well! Eagerly awaiting for your Initial Ownership report.

BTW, regarding the fuel gauge indications, each bar represents 2 litres. When E starts blinking, it indicates that approximately 3 litres of fuel is left. This is what is given in the Ownership Manual. Usually, fuel tanks of all vehicles have larger capacity than mentioned, but the fuel tanks should not be filled to brim because the excess volume is for the vapors to accommodate I suppose.

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:36   #104
BHPian

Guys any idea , where exactly that fuel tank is located?
I am very much confused about filling till brim/autocut off.

I have read that autocutoff varies at times, so i guess filling till brim should give you accurate figures.

I am 5.8, but still feel the view is not good on the left side and rear.
Cant imagine how shorter people must be feeling when on drivers seat.

I am planning to keep a scooter ( 5ltr ) tank in the car as a backup on long drives, i feel i can keep it in front space ahead of co-driver.

Any suggestions/ideas as to which scooter's tank i should buy.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:07   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Guys any idea , where exactly that fuel tank is located?
I am very much confused about filling till brim/autocut off.

I have read that autocutoff varies at times, so i guess filling till brim should give you accurate figures.

I am 5.8, but still feel the view is not good on the left side and rear.
Cant imagine how shorter people must be feeling when on drivers seat.

I am planning to keep a scooter ( 5ltr ) tank in the car as a backup on long drives, i feel i can keep it in front space ahead of co-driver.

Any suggestions/ideas as to which scooter's tank i should buy.
I am not completely sure about the position of the fuel tank, but I think its midway between the driver and front passenger's footwell. Auto cut-off does vary at times, but I do not think it varies so much so as to hugely affect your FE calculations. Whenever I have filled using auto-cutoff, the maximum variation that I have observed is around +/- 0.5 litres.

BTW, I do not think filling till brim is a good idea. It is clearly stated in all Car Ownership manuals and in many other articles that filling till brim would leave no space for the fuel to expand, which in turn could cause fuel leakage. And I do not know how safe it is to carry fuel in your car in such a manner.
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote