Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th June 2010, 12:50   #1

Default Strange noise from Baleno at 100+

I just had my 2004 Baleno vxi serviced around a week back. This was a full service including all oil and filter changes, brake cleaning, nitrogen the tyres etc.
I have driven the car for almost a week since the service without any issues or problems. But the car was driven at speeds < 100kmph.

I have regularly taken the car to 120-140kmph before the service.
The last two occasions after the service, there were noises from the front of the vehicle and I am not sure whether its from the engine/tires. Its a grating noise as it some part of the car body is brushing against a running/moving part. This happens everytime i go beyond 100-110 and disappears when i reduce speed. It also intensifies when I slightly turn the steering to the left.

I have checked the wheels and the wheel arches for contact - there isnt any. There are no oil leaks or strange smells or strange vibrations that werent there before.

What could be the problem?
kinmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 15:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

What tyres are you running and how old are they?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 16:10   #3
BHPian

wheel bearings?

Otherwise check the exhaust pipe fittings - whether the pipe is touching any body parts?

how many kms on odo?
narayanang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 16:12   #4
BHPian

Slipping power steering belt? Does it also happen if you turn to right?
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 16:38   #5
BHPian

If your steering also shakes after 100 then it is most likely an alignment issue/tyres worn out more from one end. Did you get the wheels aligned at the time of service? I do not think it is the wheel bearings because they make a lot of noise even at slow speeds (say around 50-60).

The best would be to take it to a mechanic straightaway.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 18:03   #6
BHPian

Were the tyres rotated during the service ? How many Km's have your current tires run ?
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 16:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmist View Post
I just had my 2004 Baleno vxi serviced around a week back. This was a full service including all oil and filter changes, brake cleaning, nitrogen the tyres etc.
From your above statement it is not apparent if the tyres were replaced or changes

This may sound stupid but check if all the wheel fastening nuts are tightened, I once discovered that the service center had reversed the nut, meaning the cone shape of the nut was on the outside and they had tried to tighten it . The only issue i found was with wobbling at speeds above 50 kmph and this was on my omni.

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 17th June 2010 at 16:36.
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 07:54   #8

Quote:
What tyres are you running and how old are they?
The tyres are Goodyear NCT5 - stock tires with stock maruti alloys, front tires were changed some 5000 kms back and rear tires are 10k Kms old.

Quote:
how many kms on odo?
70,000 kms

Quote:
Otherwise check the exhaust pipe fittings - whether the pipe is touching any body parts?
I checked this. No contact there either.

Quote:
Did you get the wheels aligned at the time of service?
Tires were balanced and aligned at the last service a week back

NOW, when the car bounces up and down when it goes over uneven road at high speeds >80kms, there is a scraping sound. Cant figure out where it is from but likely from the tires. Definitely not the car bottom or the exhaust pipe
This does NOT happen when at lower speeds when going over speed bumps or going over potholes. Or even bumpy roads.

Ok. I am officially nervous now.
kinmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:22   #9
BANNED

I have this exact problem in my vehicle.. its a grinding kinda noise once the vehicle crosses 110k/h.. initially thought it mite be tappets but that has been ruled out by both the *** as well as a local mechanic. The mechanic suggested that the noise cud be coming either from the ac unit or crankshaft/engine bed.
@kinmist: Hav u got the problem solved??Please Update!!!
hunkyfydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

This may sound stupid !!, but the cause for the sound may be your front mud flaps. I has this grating sound in my IKON at high speeds and in ghats and I was wondering what could be the problem. I checked every part of the car with no avail. Finally after running for many kms i discovered my mud flaps were torn, and when i replaced it everything was fine and that grating sound too disappeared.

Check if your flaps are too close to the tyres, it may not seem to touch the tyres while the car is stationary, but at high speeds when the shocks act, it might be rubbing against the tyres. Also if you look for any scraping marks you might not see it(provided you look too closely) as it will be covered by dust and mud.

To correct it, temporary bending of flaps away from the tyres may not prove fruitful as those will be heat treated from the tyre(mine certainly was,100+ speeds generate tremendous heat).

Do let me know if the problem is solved.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have similar issue with my 2006 Baleno Vxi. The noise is much more at the rear. There is a 'chuk chuk' kind of noise from the rear left wheel. And yes it happens only at speeds above 100 kmph. It started a few months back and have become excessive now. It feels like tyre noise but I guess there is more to it. The sound is so much that its tough talking with passengers at the back seat.

The same noise is much less at front end.

Regards.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:16   #12
BHPian

my friends car (Zen) has a similar problem and the culprit was found to be the aftermarket mud flaps. But here it might be different, just my 2 cents
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:20   #13
BHPian

hey it may be the fender lining..
Even i have suffered these kind of noises...but changing the lining solved my problem ..my lady is at 1,26,000
Sahil
don_carmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 00:09   #14
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th June 2010 at 15:39. Reason: Note inline
hunkyfydex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 16:29   #15
BHPian

@Kinmist
Can you update if the noise intensify when you slightly turn left only at high speed or even at lower speed?

I had a similar problem with my rental car and could find out that the black plastic cover under the bumper was not secured properly and when I used to increase the speed it used to bend down with the force of the wind and touch the road surface. Check for any loose plastic parts under the body which might be causing the noise.

Last edited by jaguar.runs : 28th June 2010 at 16:39.
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote