Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 16:48   #1
jp1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 286
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Bolero Battery

My Bolero's battery is dead. It is an AMARON 75D31L, worked for 4 years. I am trying to get a replacement, mostly a Bosch. The 'L' indicates something related to the terminal positioning. Will a 75D31R good for my vehicle? Bosch have an R instead of the L, they have an L but with a higher AH and price is almost 2k more.

Any idea?
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 19:21   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
My Bolero's battery is dead. It is an AMARON 75D31L, worked for 4 years. I am trying to get a replacement, mostly a Bosch. The 'L' indicates something related to the terminal positioning. Will a 75D31R good for my vehicle? Bosch have an R instead of the L, they have an L but with a higher AH and price is almost 2k more.

Any idea?
An R oriented battery wont fit primarily due to the terminals being reversed. Fitting this type will result in reverse polarity and damage your electricals including the car stereo, ECU etc. 2K is worth the expense if it means sticking to what the mfr recommends and comes with a higher A rating. BTW, why dont you stick to Amaron and get the exact model as a replacement?

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 08:53   #3
jp1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 286
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
An R oriented battery wont fit primarily due to the terminals being reversed. Fitting this type will result in reverse polarity and damage your electricals including the car stereo, ECU etc. 2K is worth the expense if it means sticking to what the mfr recommends and comes with a higher A rating. BTW, why dont you stick to Amaron and get the exact model as a replacement?

Cheers!
Are you sure about the polarity and damage it can cause? As per my understanding, the L and R denotes the positioning of the terminals on the battery box and as long as the connector wires reach the correct terminals (+ /-), there wont be an issue. Am I right or wrong?

BTW I am checking with Amaron on their models.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 11:00   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Are you sure about the polarity and damage it can cause? As per my understanding, the L and R denotes the positioning of the terminals on the battery box and as long as the connector wires reach the correct terminals (+ /-), there wont be an issue. Am I right or wrong?

BTW I am checking with Amaron on their models.
Tell you what, why dont you try reversing the polarity and seeing for yourself what happens?

Yes, if the cables can be crossed over to reach the appropriate terminals there should be no issue provided the crossed cables do not obstruct anything else. Most car mfrs have pared the cable slack right down to an inch of what is actually required. So not sure if you can cross the cables.

But dude, I fail to understand why you wish to do this when you could simply buy the correct batt for your vehicle even if it not Bosch. Incidentally Bosch is supposedly mfred by Amaron and rebranded.

Good luck with your search. If Amaron dont have a 75AH L oriented batt, check with other brands like Exide, Panasonic, Base Terminal or Tata Green.

Rgds,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 11:21   #5
BHPian
 
jeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 604
Thanked: 527 Times
Default

I have Amaron in my Bolero and no issues till date what so ever. I guess most people here will swear by Amaron. Bosch is equally good too, I think.
But never ever go for Exide. Once upon a time they were good. Exide batteries are the worst these days.
Simply going for a higher rated (AH) battery..will it do any good? I guess you need to beef up the alternator to handle the extra amps. Higher rated batteries (the normal ones we get here ) do not fit in the Bolero's stock battery tray, coz of its size.
A friend from the Bolero club has a safari alternator and an expensive maintanence free dry cell battery, for his Bolero is a full fledged mini theatre inside
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 17:17   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 967
Thanked: 235 Times
Default Re: Bolero Battery

My Bolero battery EXIDE died yesterday after 4 trouble-free years. It didn't die at 11.30 in the night while coming back from work....but the next day morning while still at home. Thank you Exide.

Any idea how much a new one will cost?
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 17:30   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: Bolero Battery

good show.
a new one will set you back by about 5 grand or so
you can try amaron - they are pretty good too
as also Bosch

my scorp OEM Amaron battery is still going strong at 3.5 years odd.
it might kick the bucket sometime in the next 6 months or so give or take and I will probably buy either a Bosch or another Amaron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
My Bolero battery EXIDE died yesterday after 4 trouble-free years. It didn't die at 11.30 in the night while coming back from work....but the next day morning while still at home. Thank you Exide.

Any idea how much a new one will cost?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 21:01   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Re: Bolero Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
My Bolero battery EXIDE died yesterday after 4 trouble-free years.
Any idea how much a new one will cost?
If you have not decided the brand of battery to go for, I d strongly recommend the Cummins Shakti VRLA battery. The technology is far more advanced and I ve been a happy user for the past 1.5 years.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bolero XDP Engine Vs Bolero DI Turbo Red Liner What Car? 34 30th September 2015 21:37
Replacing Existing Battery with a Cummins Shakti Truck Battery? condor Technical Stuff 12 25th November 2010 15:29
Battery question - Can I use Indica Spec Battery in Scorpio, or other such swaps? shekharlele Technical Stuff 18 7th September 2010 09:05
Using a battery tender to revive discharged battery xxaarraa Technical Stuff 2 14th May 2008 19:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks