Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th June 2010, 20:28   #1
BHPian

Default Fiat Petra 1.6 Issues

Need help from Palio/Petra owners
I am facing a problems with steaming of the headlights. Even before the monsoon the headlights sued to get steamed when the car was running. Now with the monsoons its such that there is no light on the road. Can anyone help me how to get rid of it? I understand that this is because the headlight packaging is not gas tight. So can it be fixed because I had heard that this seems to be a problem with the manufacturing, so maybe buying new ones wont solve the problem.
Also want to know if Palio Stile owners are facing the same problem.

Thanks

Last edited by rikhav : 16th June 2010 at 20:31.
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 20:51   #2
BHPian

Weird issue I faced with my Palio too, but somehow, it never occured on the M800. I got fed up & did a quick fix after my mechanic could not solve the problem.
I took some sealant (same used in sealing window edges) & sealed off the edges. It took care of the misting alright, atleast for the moment.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 22:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Weird issue I faced with my Palio too, but somehow, it never occured on the M800. I got fed up & did a quick fix after my mechanic could not solve the problem.
I took some sealant (same used in sealing window edges) & sealed off the edges. It took care of the misting alright, atleast for the moment.

Will try that.
Will i get that sealant at any hardware shop?
Also can you point out where exactly you used the sealant?

Thanks
Old 17th June 2010, 11:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Best Solution:

1. Open bulb holders
2. Pull out bulbs
3. Use Hair drier to get rid of the moisture
4. Plug in the bulbs
5. make sure the back cover of the bulb holders are ok and fit properly
6. check if the HL breather pipe (L-shaped thingy) is facing down.
7. seal the edges of the HL cluster (glass and body) with sealant.
8. Learn to live it - how? - switch on headlamps (Low+High) for a minute or two - it will help to get rid of the moisture for some time.

Enjoy

@ Rikhav - this is mentioned on the www.fiatfrum.com/palio as well i think you posted there as well.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 17th June 2010 at 11:19.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 13:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Best Solution:

1. Open bulb holders
2. Pull out bulbs
4. Plug in the bulbs
8. Learn to live it - how? - switch on headlamps (Low+High) for a minute or two - it will help to get rid of the moisture for some time.

Enjoy

@ Rikhav - this is mentioned on the www.fiatfrum.com/palio as well i think you posted there as well.
Couldn't have posted it any better. That's something very similar to what I did.
Rikhav, you will find sealant at any hardware store (black & white, I used black), but you will also have to buy, what the hardware guys refer to as a "GUN" to squeeze out the sealant from the tube.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Best Solution:

1. Open bulb holders
2. Pull out bulbs
4. Plug in the bulbs

Enjoy

Hi Planet_rocker
I did the hair dryer thing as said. But when the car is standing the mositure comes back again. This was OK tilll the rains started as switching on the headlights would remove it completely in few minutes and till the headlights on there is no moisture accumulated

But now with the rains there is a lot more moisture and its so bad that there is hardly any light on the raod for qouet some time and you know driving without proper headlights can turn out to be dangerous

Finally got the sealant today. Lets see if the problem is solved after applying the sealant on the edges
Old 17th June 2010, 16:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Couldn't have posted it any better. That's something very similar to what I did.
Rikhav, you will find sealant at any hardware store (black & white, I used black), but you will also have to buy, what the hardware guys refer to as a "GUN" to squeeze out the sealant from the tube.
Hi mb_jg
As you wrote in every shop i was getting a sealant which has to be used with a gun. When i asked them from where can i get the damn gun, they had no answer for it
Finally, i got a silicone sealant which is in a tube and can be used without a tube.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ Rikhav - please make sure that you de-fog the head light cluster before applying the sealant. Enjoy and please upload before and after pics. All the best
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 16:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
@ Rikhav - please make sure that you de-fog the head light cluster before applying the sealant. Enjoy and please upload before and after pics. All the best

Will try to click some pics.
Thanks for your and mb's help
Old 17th June 2010, 16:42   #10
BHPian

Try PUG. I have seen a PUG member do a 'DIY' to arrest the issue.

@finneyp, any pointers ?

Last edited by s3va : 17th June 2010 at 16:43.
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 16:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Hi mb_jg
As you wrote in every shop i was getting a sealant which has to be used with a gun. When i asked them from where can i get the damn gun, they had no answer for it
Finally, i got a silicone sealant which is in a tube and can be used without a tube.
Hmmmm, maybe the hardware store I went to just happened to have it. Anyways, make sure the application is even & you leave no gaps. Also, you would need to give it some time to dry. Good luck bro.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:42   #12
BHPian

Okay, i have done the thing partially you can say.
With the water entering the left lower beam had gone kaput and i had to replace it as my brother has to leave for somewhere far tomorrow.
I made the mechanic apply the sealant at as many edges which could be reached. But i feel there is a lot of part left which goes below the fenders. What he said is that if this does not fix it he will remove the headlight assembly completely off the car, and then carefully apply the sealant. Only issue with doing that today was that the bumper also needs to removed which would have required a lot of time to remove and refit

I feel so disguested that FIAT takes us so much for granted. How can they neglect such an issue when it poses a big risk specially in the rains

Last edited by rikhav : 17th June 2010 at 18:45.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:52   #13
BHPian

I know how frustrating this can be. But it's a small niggle compared to the fun you have driving a well maintained car. Chin up. Cheers.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I know how frustrating this can be. But it's a small niggle compared to the fun you have driving a well maintained car. Chin up. Cheers.

Hi Mananish
Forgot to ask you if you applied the sealant same way as i did or you removed the whole HL assembly and then applied the sealant
Old 17th June 2010, 19:53   #15
BHPian

I removed the entire HL assembly. It was not easy, but I had a lot of time to kill on a specific Sunday. It's better to get it done at one go instead of trying to fix it over & over again.
But trust me, this sealant thing has worked. I managed to take my car through a veryyyyy big puddle the other day when it rained like hell in Pune, & I did not notice any moisture the next morning.