Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th June 2010, 22:06   #1

Default Where can I buy car ramps?

Its a time to change Engine Oil and Oil Filter in my car, I am looking for Car Ramps, so that I can go underneath my car to change the engine oil and oil filter. I have all the necessary tools (except Ramps) to accomplish this task. With out Car Ramps it's completely difficult to go underneath my car, since the ground clearance is low in sedans. Can someone tell me where I can buy Car Ramps in chennai, and also tell me how much does it cost.
classic_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 07:55   #2
BHPian

Classic rider,
I doubt of this is an economical solution.
We had a similar idea to get a ramp and a basic workshop for cleaning and such basic service.it's cheaper to construct one if you've the space and safer than installing a fork lift especially in a home setup.you can otherwise order custom made metal ramp which could be put away yet would be a costly proposition.In all the cases space would be the constraint unless you've space for the setup.
Regards
manjith_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 09:18   #3
BHPian

Which car you have? I changed engine oil and oil filter of my M1000 and I don't even need to use a jack or go fully under the car, just slide my hands down to the sump and open the nut. Filter is even more closer.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

If its only for an oil change look at Castrol Pitstops (Castrol Pitstop)in your city, they seem reasonable.

All the effort of building up the infratructure for the same is not worth it.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 16:26   #5
BHPian

It would be relatively expensive to own a ramp, look at it this way.
You would change the oil in your car once every 10K, right., this would amount to lets say 20 times for a period of 200,000 KM travel.

You may want to use a ramp on a rental basis which will be far more inexpensive. What I mean is if you go to Petrol pump where they have washing facility they are likely to have a ramp. I am sure they would let you use it for a small price.

Alternatively I had once seen a roadside mechanic indigenously use couple of rectangular stone block in conjunction with triangular wooden block which acted like a slope i had taken a snap, but seems to have misplaced it. This is pretty dangerous actually as there car is parked pretty precariously. But all the same serves the purpose.

Having said all this, its you own individual choice at the end of the day
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:45   #6

I forgot to tell, I am using Skoda Octavia Rider 1.9TDI. I think I can go-ahead and take the Car ramps for rent (if it is expensive). In this car unfortunately it's not possible to remove the bold's and nuts just by hand, with out going under the car .
Since it's a bad idea to buy a new Car Ramps (due to cost constraint), do any body know where I can buy second hand Ramps?. I really don't want to take my car to Skoda for service, since the cost is very expensive. I love to do all the simple stuff's myself (Such as Engine Oil change, Air filter change, Oil Filter change, Brake pad change, brake disc change, pollen filter change, etc..
Old 17th June 2010, 19:00   #7

Thanks for all the reply. I have Skoda Octavia Rider 1.9 TDI. After reading your replies, now I think its a bad idea to buy new car ramps. Today I went to G.P road in chennai and enquired the price for Car Ramps in Rahman Hardware (next to Jayapradha Theatre) they said it cost Rs4500/- They had Hydraulic Car Ramp's, it's really very easy to operate, but little expensive. I think it's better to take down my car to local mechanic shop and pay them Rs. 100/- to Rs 200/- to change the engine oil and oil filter. Since I went there I bought Airt filter and Pollen Filter for my car.