Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:26   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 118
Thanked: Once
Default Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX issues

Hi,
My fiat palio manf yr 2003 has done 50k kms on the odo. I have been facing weird issues since last couple of days. My car when started on a cold day takes long to fire up, this issue has been there since a while now. Many people are saying that this is due to the k&n filter which I have put (i have replaced spark plugs). But my major concern is that when cold the car fires up properly without any issues besides taking long. It idles normally too but once it gets hot the idle tends to be knocky and shakey. The ac compressor shuts off unless i slightly tap the accelerator, thats when it comes up again but again its very very shakey, i am assuming it is because of one of the cylinder misfiring, until i got it checked and replaced the wires which connect ignition coils to the spark plugs because the mechanics told me its faulty. Now the problem has reduced drastically but it is still present. It goes when i rev the car hard and it takes a while and then theres a sudden growl and boom, it just shoots. I went back to the garage explained them the whole thing and they told me that my ignition coils are faulty because its picking up and leaving current and they dont have them in stock. I donno if they're just trying to con me on this or is this the truth. Because the car idles properly when it is cold i dont really think that there should be a problem with the coils. I assume ignition coils dont die so early, 50k kms isnt much for a properly maintained car. Plus i have been wanting to go back to the stock filter box but i lost the pipe which connects the air filter box to the throttle. Im unable to find it anywhere. If anyone can refer me to a shop or a person?
Calling all fiat palio owners and techincal gurus to help me out on this.
Thanks
Regards
Abhijeet
abhijeetveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:40   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
Hi,
My fiat palio manf yr 2003 has done 50k kms on the odo. I have been facing weird issues since last couple of days. My car when started on a cold day takes long to fire up, this issue has been there since a while now.
What is condition of the battery? how old is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
Many people are saying that this is due to the k&n filter which I have put (i have replaced spark plugs).
i don't think that is the reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
But my major concern is that when cold the car fires up properly without any issues besides taking long.
This may occur if the battery is weak. get the battery checked at abattery center / and the alternator charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
It idles normally too but once it gets hot the idle tends to be knocky and shakey. The ac compressor shuts off unless i slightly tap the accelerator, thats when it comes up again but again its very very shakey, i am assuming it is because of one of the cylinder misfiring, until i got it checked and replaced the wires which connect ignition coils to the spark plugs because the mechanics told me its faulty. Now the problem has reduced drastically but it is still present. It goes when i rev the car hard and it takes a while and then theres a sudden growl and boom, it just shoots.
Indicates dirty / sticky throttle body - get the Idle Control Valve (ICV) cleaned. Does the Injector light come on when the problem occurs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
I went back to the garage explained them the whole thing and they told me that my ignition coils are faulty because its picking up and leaving current and they dont have them in stock.
Faulty coils will make the car sputter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
I donno if they're just trying to con me on this or is this the truth. Because the car idles properly when it is cold i dont really think that there should be a problem with the coils. I assume ignition coils dont die so early, 50k kms isnt much for a properly maintained car. Plus i have been wanting to go back to the stock filter box but i lost the pipe which connects the air filter box to the throttle. Im unable to find it anywhere. If anyone can refer me to a shop or a person?
Calling all fiat palio owners and techincal gurus to help me out on this.
Try Opera House shops - heard that FIAT spares are available there.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 23rd June 2010 at 14:41.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:44   #3
BHPian
 
v.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 320
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

I have replaced the ignition coil when the car had run 15000 kms, but its a 2004 model. So can't rule out the possibility. Your problem does look like its the ignition coil, I suggest you take the car to the service center and ask them to put the examiner in front of you. That would give out all the errors, by which you may ascertain the fault. Do you wash the engine bay regularly? In that case, water may enter the plugs which causes the judder, but it goes away after the water evaporates.
v.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:45   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

It's most likely the ignition coil. The plastic pipe for air intake is available in Bombay at the Worli Tata-Fiat service centre. I had mine recently changed.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:36   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

I have changed the ignition coil of my Fiat Petra 1.6 thrice. It has done approx 35000 kms
I also think its an ignitiion coil issue. The engine in my petra also used to vibrate massively and had massive loss of power when the ignition coil had gone bad
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:33   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 118
Thanked: Once
Default

how much does the ignition coil cost? im assuming palio gtx and petra have the same engine and rest of the parts?
abhijeetveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:35   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 118
Thanked: Once
Default

battery is new. almost 6mnths old. got it checked from exide guys. they said no problem at all with the battery or alternator
abhijeetveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 12:25   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

It was around Rs 5,000 if I remember correctly. I still have to get mine replaced. My GTX is suffering from a lumpy idle and lack of top-end power.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 22:53   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
battery is new. almost 6mnths old. got it checked from exide guys. they said no problem at all with the battery or alternator
When i last purchased it from an authorized service centre (anuroop Auto which has closed down 2 years back) it was around 2000 - 2200. For sure it was not 5000
But as with all other spares I think the prices have been jacked up.

Call up any authorized service centre and i am sure they will say that they dont have it in stock. Best place to get it is Kava automobiles which is at Opera House

And yes, the Petra 1.6 and Palio 1.6 GTX share the same engine

Last edited by rikhav : 25th June 2010 at 22:56.
rikhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 23:59   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

I was talking about the ignition coil that was Rs 5,000. I had checked little over a month ago at the dealership.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:48   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 118
Thanked: Once
Default

guys.. sorry for the late reply.
somehow i feel that its not the ignition coil which is at fault. because when the problem exist and i accelerate the car hard, the car struggles to breath for a moment and then just shoots, problem gone.
i donno whats the fault. i checked with other mechanics he said "agar fault hota to continuous problem hota, yeh aata jata hai, ecm check kar lo"
wondering what to do now. pls advice
abhijeetveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:33   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Indicates dirty / sticky throttle body - get the Idle Control Valve (ICV) cleaned. Does the Injector light come on when the problem occurs?

Faulty coils will make the car sputter.
Did you check this? Try it and your problem should be solved.

Keep us updated. If you don't want to go back to the mechanic, i can tell you how to DIY.

take care and drive safe.

PS: did they check the condition of the lambda sensor?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 2nd July 2010 at 15:36.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:28   #13
BHPian
 
karizma_devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 421
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Actually i am unable to clearly understand your problem --
  1. When you say it takes some time to fire when its cold, Is the crank healthy ?? If not then your batterys week , if your chanks healthy but still it takes 2-3 attempts to fire up , check your ignition coils(Rs.5,500) , and spark plugs.
  2. Yes when your ignition coils are bad the car judders when its hot.
  3. I cant comment on the A/c , get it checked (could be a slipping a/c clutch)
  4. In 1.6 Fiat engines the ICV & throttle body(Rs.12,800) are integrated , where as in 1.2 fiats you can change the ICV only , but we can rule out ICV of your idle is smooth around 800-900 RPM. You might still clean the throttle body to eliminate it.
  5. Do you get your injector light when the cars " growls & booms" ? Because i had all these symptoms on my Fiat 1.6 , cleaning the injectors solved the problem.
In my ownership tenure of a Fiat 1.6 Petrol ( S10) , the trick to figure out the root cause of the fault is the process of elimination.

There are very few mechanics in Mumbai/Thane that I have come across know have grip over the 1.6 Fiat puzzle.

I suggest please take your car to Fortune Powai TFASS , they are the best of the lot. Do a general service, then hook on the scanner to understand the problem.

Shooting arrows in the dark might goof up your car, all my suggestions are just based on my prespective of your post.

Cheers
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:09   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 365 Times
Default

Problem:

Quote:
now a days i am facing a weired problem.

1. when its running, suddenly it looses its power, even i have to drive in 2nd gear pressing the gas paddle at nearly floor of the car.

2. the car started to vibrate like old diesel cars.

3. when the car is cool the problem disappears, but that doesnt mean that when its getting warm the problem starts. the problem starts suddenly and disappears suddenly.

4. When the car is idle, vibration remains.

i have shown the car to 3-4 mechanics, they did so many tngs but problem persist

i have changed all plugs and plug wares, washed injectors, replaced fuel filter, replaced the body fuel pump.

i am pissed off dudes please please help me out i love my car i dont want to sell it off.
Solution:

Quote:
The problem seems more like a dirty/sticky throttle body problem. get it cleaned.
Quote:
thank you very much your replies dear friends..... and m very sorry for such a late reply.... my problem solved after thortle body cleaning.... thanks again guys
Source Thread on FIAT Forum: Technical: Palio 1.6 weired problem - The FIAT Forum

Take care and drive safe
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:02   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 118
Thanked: Once
Default

hey guys, will clean the throttle body asap. Thanks for the link planet rocker. It was really helpful. Will keep you'll updated.
thank you
abhijeetveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Palio 1.6 GTX v/s Palio 1.6 Sport - Visible Differences moralfibre The Indian Car Scene 140 21st May 2014 17:21
Performance twins on a Budget- Palio 1.6 GTX Vs Ikon 1.6 (Edit - Its a Palio 1.6 GTX) Makesh Hatchbacks 48 9th October 2012 01:34
The GTX arriveth. Palio 1.6 GTX thedragula Long-Term Ownership Reviews 36 12th June 2011 12:40
2002 palio 1.6 GTX (or) 2006 Baleno (or) New palio stile 1.6 sports (or) Ford fusion Mr_Bean Hatchbacks 31 16th December 2010 17:12
PALIO 1.6 GTX 2001-1.5 LAKHS?? ( calling all palio GTX owners ) karizma_devil Hatchbacks 18 28th December 2008 13:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks