Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th June 2010, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Default Verna CRDi & 2nd Gear

Is there a way to change any setting or something, to make sure that the Verna does not move all by itself, the moment the 2nd gear is engaged?

The car starts moving all by itself in 2nd gear even without any acceleration. I find this annoying in bumper to bumper traffic

Thanks
styx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 13:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

There is nothing you can do for that, most diesel cars move without accelerator in gears upto 3rd. Its better than stalling.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 13:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

All cars move ahead in all gears when the clutch is disengaged, even when the throttle is not pressed. Try using your left foot to remedy the problem.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 13:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post
Is there a way to change any setting or something, to make sure that the Verna does not move all by itself, the moment the 2nd gear is engaged?

The car starts moving all by itself in 2nd gear even without any acceleration. I find this annoying in bumper to bumper traffic

Thanks
If this is with the clutch fully pressed, its not normal.

If its with the clutch released, it normal behaviour since the rails need to maintain that pressure.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 13:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the world of diesel torque.
my scorpio reaches almost 55km\hr without any throttle input,in 5th gear.
you need to keep a tab on it through the clutch,and i agree that its a pain in traffic.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 13:50   #6
BHPian

I am guessing you mean this problem is when you release the clutch pedal.

Quote:
you need to keep a tab on it through the clutch,and i agree that its a pain in traffic.
I always found it very useful in traffic! I like the fact that all I have to do is slot it in first and gently release the clutch to make the car lunge forward instead of having to press the accelerator at the same time. I find it pretty convenient in bumper-to-bumper traffic !

Is the problem that you get into second at a low speed and the car accelerates automatically to a certain minimum speed? I guess that's because the ECU kicks in to accelerate the car to a minimum engine speed appropriate for that gear. If so, then just stay in first for longer to have better control over speed.
Motorholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 14:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

@styx71: if what you means is the car pulling while you release the clutch in 2nd without any acceleration, then try this - remain in 1st till ~20KMPH, and then shift to 2nd only after 20 KMPH (or close to that).

The ECU accelerates the car to prevent stalling, especially if you shift up earlier. This common on all modern Diesels - and being the rocket, it is more pronounced in your ride
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 15:14   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post

Thanks

Actually there is a setting, you can put more pressure on your left foot to depress the clutch fully so that the car does not move. .

Well styx71, if the car is still moving with clutch fully depressed, you might wanna take your ride to the A.S.S .
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 16:51   #9
BHPian

this function in a diesel is called "low idle governing". at least thats what we at mahindra call it.
it is there to prevent stalling of the engine. if the car is too fast at idle in bumper to bumper traffic, i recommend you downshift. this is because there will be a possibility of the vehicle crashing into the car in front. it depends how aggresively the governor is tuned.
in a lower gear, the vehicle will march at lower speeds. if you need to go faster, feed in some accelerator pedal and release it when you need to reduce speed. when you do this, the engine will return to low idle and continue marching ahead.
some anticipation is mandatory otherwise you ll need to use the brakes. in any case, even if you under-brake, the engine will make extra efforts (read send in more fuel) to maintain the set speed in that gear.
having said that, the lowest zero accelerator pedal engine speeds for different gears are different. thus, in 1st hear low idle engine speed will be set for example at 850 rpm. in 2nd gear it will be 875 rpm. 3rd-900 rpm 4th- 940 rpm and 5th - 975 rpm.
the engine speeds increase so as to be able to generate enough torque since torque requirement in taller gears will be more.
hope this helps.
nitro
nitrogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 17:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Team BHP needs to start a training school for all the new drivers in town.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 20:01   #11
BHPian

Thanks for all the replies.

This is not a problem with the clutch depressed. I move to 2nd gear at 15-20 kmph. And not that I dont know how to drive - I've been driving for years.

I dont see this problem in swift diesel - if I move to 2nd gear & i do not accelerate, the swift keeps moving at a very slow rate & it does not stall. The Verna on the other hand, moves as though i'm pressing the accelerator (I am not trying to compare apples & oranges here)

Anyways, the explanation given by @Motorholic, @ph03n!x, @nitrogary all makes sense in my case
styx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 17:22   #12
BHPian

yep,

i migrated from the trustworthy 800 to logan diesel. in the maruti, the engine revs went down at the second gear and all that you had to ensure was keep the accelerator pressed enough so as to not stall it.

in the logan diesel, well this function is taken up by the ecu (i guess). the initial couple of days were sure funny. the car used to actually jump when the second gear was engaged and the rpm was low.

i am a sedate driver. infact, i dont remember ever revving the engine beyond 3000 rpm. the only time i reach an rpm of 2500 - 2600 is while cruising on the highway in the 4th and 5th gear. else, its upshift at 1300 - 1700 rpm. rarely 2000 max. :-)
mishranishant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 14:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishranishant View Post
yep,

i migrated from the trustworthy 800 to logan diesel. in the maruti, the engine revs went down at the second gear and all that you had to ensure was keep the accelerator pressed enough so as to not stall it.

in the logan diesel, well this function is taken up by the ecu (i guess). the initial couple of days were sure funny. the car used to actually jump when the second gear was engaged and the rpm was low.

i am a sedate driver. infact, i dont remember ever revving the engine beyond 3000 rpm. the only time i reach an rpm of 2500 - 2600 is while cruising on the highway in the 4th and 5th gear. else, its upshift at 1300 - 1700 rpm. rarely 2000 max. :-)
Welcome to the diesel family friend. This is one thing every diesel owner must be aware of, that is the amazing torque and as a result a great lower end. Changing from 800 to logan, you've been migrated from 56Nm of torque to 148Nm of torque This is one very important advantage of any diesel in fact and if learned to control it, its the most amazing thing in a diesel I'd say. Thus for any turbo diesel owner, you've got two territories to rule, a wonderful lower end with the torque of diesel and an equally amazing higher end due to the turbo charger.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 17:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Welcome to the diesel family friend. This is one thing every diesel owner must be aware of, that is the amazing torque and as a result a great lower end. Changing from 800 to logan, you've been migrated from 56Nm of torque to 148Nm of torque This is one very important advantage of any diesel in fact and if learned to control it, its the most amazing thing in a diesel I'd say. Thus for any turbo diesel owner, you've got two territories to rule, a wonderful lower end with the torque of diesel and an equally amazing higher end due to the turbo charger.
:-). i guess the logan is around 160 nm of torque - though it really feels like a lot more.

Last edited by GTO : 7th July 2010 at 16:14. Reason: NM, not KGM. Fixed
mishranishant is offline   Reply With Quote