Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2005, 10:13   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,056
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Strange noise from 800

whenever i revv my 7 year old carb 800, a screaching sound is heard.. i wonder what it is.. its a kind of screaching whistle.. (i have heard this sound in some old model Indicas as well..).. any idea?..
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 11:44   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,100
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

could be a alternater belt sound...get the belt and associated pullies / theri bearings checked....
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 11:57   #3
BHPian
 
2fast4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: pune / Bahrain
Posts: 488
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

ya its only the belts. and i believe the screeching sound is occassional or mostly when you start to move from standstill, once on the move the sound disappears.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 14:09   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,056
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
ya its only the belts. and i believe the screeching sound is occassional or mostly when you start to move from standstill, once on the move the sound disappears.
spot on!.. going to mechanic now..
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 15:40   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,971
Thanked: 15,683 Times
Default

Make sure that the mechanic does not employ the "mobil oil" cure and actually tightens the belt.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 16:52   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,207
Thanked: 2,748 Times
Default

I had the same problem with my brand new 800.

Used to produce that sound only during the first start of the day (cold engine).... Got the timing chain /belt fixed and the packing replaced.

It is all right now.

So it may be the timing belt problem. Anyways dont ignore the sound rush to a mechanic.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 17:54   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
ananthkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,203
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
I had the same problem with my brand new 800.

Used to produce that sound only during the first start of the day (cold engine).... Got the timing chain /belt fixed and the packing replaced.

It is all right now.

So it may be the timing belt problem. Anyways dont ignore the sound rush to a mechanic.

I think you mean the alternator belt. Timing belts are cogged and can never slip to cause this sound. If they do, your engine is as good as scrap in the first few seconds of running.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2005, 11:33   #8
BHPian
 
2fast4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: pune / Bahrain
Posts: 488
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
I think you mean the alternator belt. Timing belts are cogged and can never slip to cause this sound. If they do, your engine is as good as scrap in the first few seconds of running.

exactly. wonder if it slipped would like to have a view of the snapped pistons crank etcetc.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange Noise from LHS front suspension Swift viana Technical Stuff 33 26th July 2010 00:35
Strange humming noise from my Safari(EDIT: Solved, window was open hence the noise) himanshugoswami Technical Stuff 14 14th May 2008 15:00
Strange noise from Indigo. sajo Technical Stuff 12 7th May 2007 11:59
Strange noise from speakers Vivekphadnis In-Car Entertainment 25 22nd January 2006 00:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks