Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th June 2010, 16:25   #1
BANNED

Default Cruze vibrating a bit in D mode

Never noticed anything like this in any AT that I have driven and am puzzled.

When I stop the car and keep my foot on the brake pedal, like at a traffic signal, there is a bit of vibration in the car, and almost a feeling that it has not engaged neutral. Almost like the car is trying to move forwards and the brakes are holding it back.

If I shift to N or P the vibration disappears.

The manual also say that it will shift to N if left in D mode, your foot is on the brake, and there is not forward movement of the car.

Any suggestions?
deepakvrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 16:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

seems like the car is trying to push itself ahead even in brakes pressed. I think some alignment on the box etc would do it fine, I have no idea on AT car, but from the things you have mentioned it seems something like half clutch (or even lesser clutch).
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 17:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

IMO, this is normal to ATs as the brakes ARE actually holding the car back if you are in D mode.

This is why recomended practice is to shift into N or P unless you are expecting to start off within the next few seconds. This is also partly the reason why AT cars tend to wear out their brakes faster.

Experts please?
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 17:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the newer AT's automatically shift to N when they come to a halt in D.
This is a major step forward in the AT technology and a great brake pad and fuel saver. Please correct me if I am wrong...

If this does not work, get it fixed.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 17:34   #5
BANNED

I think Anand is right. Modern ATs 'should' shift to N like I explained in the first post. Maybe I'll get it checked.

Was hoping for other Cruze owners to chip in with their experiences.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Off topic here Deepak.. What's the colour of your Cruze?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:48   #7
BHPian

Modern automatics do not shift to "N" when you come to a stand still in "D", at least not in the current midsized cars what we have in India. When you release the brakes while in "D" the car will move forward. This is natural for all automatic vehicles.
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 20:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
When I stop the car and keep my foot on the brake pedal, like at a traffic signal, there is a bit of vibration in the car, and almost a feeling that it has not engaged neutral. Almost like the car is trying to move forwards and the brakes are holding it back.
I used to drive Civic, Mustang & Elantra AT's in US & I experience the same except for the vibration. So I tend to feel this is normal.

Quote:
If I shift to N or P the vibration disappears. The manual also say that it will shift to N if left in D mode, your foot is on the brake, and there is not forward movement of the car.
I'm no expert in AT, however making a guess that it could be a clutch issue related to springs or something as there's a vibration also involved.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 11:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does varying pressure on brake pedal make any difference so that car electronics understand that car is standstill in D mode & it should shift to N mode.
Also check with other Cruze AT owner on forum, 'nadim_90210' is one of them.

Quote:
The manual also say that it will shift to N if left in D mode, your foot is on the brake, and there is not forward movement of the car.
OT: Doc, if your car doesn't behave this way, then it's likely that it has learned to do a 'bike track stand' so that it can start faster when traffic signal turns green.

Last edited by sukiwa : 29th June 2010 at 11:04.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 11:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

I took a test drive of Cruze AT last week and drove for almost 30kms+ in peak traffic and open roads and felt the same way, when brakes are pressed there is a slight vibration and car is itching to move forward and minute you leave the brake pedal it surges forward.

I guess this seems to be normal in AT's as this was my second AT car that i have driven previous being a Santro.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 12:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I stop the car and keep my foot on the brake pedal, like at a traffic signal, there is a bit of vibration in the car, and almost a feeling that it has not engaged neutral.
The manual also say that it will shift to N if left in D mode, your foot is on the brake, and there is not forward movement of the car. Any suggestions?
Maybe the engine idling speed is high ? Just a hunch, considering that it is not shifting to N in this case, as per what your manual suggests.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 12:26   #12
BHPian

Deepak,

Please get the auto transmission checked by your dealer.

Also I am not sure as to whether the auto should engage N when it is in D with your foot on the brake. That's not the case in the 6 speed DSG in the Jetta; neither is there any vibration.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 12:27   #13
BHPian

in AT, when in D mode, the gear never goes to N on coming to a standstill. You have to hold the brakes to prevent the car from moving. Even cars like C-Class have to activate the Autohold function if you want to hold the car in D mode at standstill. This means that N is not engaged automatically.

Ideally the lever should be moved to N if you bring the car to a halt or else the brake pad life is being eaten into.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 14:35   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Off topic here Deepak.. What's the colour of your Cruze?
Rudra,

Its White but not the more expensive Diamond White.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Modern automatics do not shift to "N" when you come to a stand still in "D", at least not in the current midsized cars what we have in India. When you release the brakes while in "D" the car will move forward. This is natural for all automatic vehicles.

Thanks to all the guys who replied.

I rechecked the manual, and it says that it will go to idling rpm when in D and at a standstill. It did not say it would get into N. My mis read.

I have never felt this vibration in my Laura, or in any other AT that I have driven abroad so was wondering.

Mobike0008 also felt the same thing. I think I will check a TD car and see if thats the issue.

Maybe the idling is high? It shows about 800rpm though.

Meanwhile, I am learning to put it in N for longer stops.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:39   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
when brakes are pressed there is a slight vibration and car is itching to move forward and minute you leave the brake pedal it surges forward.

Exact description that I should have used.