Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd August 2010, 15:10   #16
BHPian

Hi Uday,
How did Sajan test if the AC was working fine after installing the new compressor? Did he check the temperature? Was the gauge used in the main AC outlet with the gauge needle totally inside it? What was the temperature reading.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:11   #17
BHPian

Really a cool deal. I have noted his number.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 10:43   #18
BHPian

Default re: Zen AC compressor change (R12 to R134)

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Hello,

I am getting a lot of PM to have my mechanic no. For the benefit of all the zen onwers, I am putting up my mechenic no

His name is Sajan his mobile no is - 9820187183. Reffer my name.

thanks
Dear Uday,

Thanks for the information. I tried getting in touch with your AC MEchanic, Sajan but unable to get through. I'll try again though.

Can you post your experience with the changed A/C Compressor after a year ?

Also, I have a November 2002 model Zen Lx. I'm not sure if its a R12 or an R134 A/c Compressor ? Can anyone help ? Even I'm facing the same issue of insufficient cooling in Summers. Once it starts raining I guess its fine.

Cheers,
Yogesh...
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 14:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Dear Uday,

Thanks for the information. I tried getting in touch with your AC MEchanic, Sajan but unable to get through. I'll try again though.

Can you post your experience with the changed A/C Compressor after a year ?

Also, I have a November 2002 model Zen Lx. I'm not sure if its a R12 or an R134 A/c Compressor ? Can anyone help ? Even I'm facing the same issue of insufficient cooling in Summers. Once it starts raining I guess its fine.

Cheers,
Yogesh...
Yogesh,
Compressor is working fine after one year, before the on slot of summer I had served my compressor along with gas top up and its working fine and cools down the car very quickly.
Your car compressor will be using R12 gas which is not available today. contact Sajan he will guide you.
To have proper and effective cooling your car windows must has tinted glass.
uday
udaydesai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 19:26   #20
BHPian

Those who have the Delphi Compressor in zen would know it costs arpond 16K with install at Maruti. Instead of this you can fit either Santro or getz compressor too .Just saw one today .
Trust_In_Thrust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 20:09   #21
BHPian

Buy a second hand compressor its much cheaper, but get it checked by your mechanic.
udaydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 21:13   #22
BHPian

Post re: Zen AC compressor change (R12 to R134)

Quote:
To top it all the gas used in zen ( R12 ) is banned and not easily available.
I'm facing the same issue, my 10-year-old Alto needs a refrigerant "fix", however its proving to be rather difficult to source. On the Internet, there are as many voices for a retrofit (to R134a) as against it !

I've received a quote of 6K from an automotive HVAC shop here for the R134a retrofit, apparently the compressor does not need a change. I also came across an EPA page that says the same thing, so does the following retrofit "guide" from Sanden...

SandenRetrofit.pdf
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 21:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
st it !

I've received a quote of 6K from an automotive HVAC shop here for the R134a retrofit, apparently the compressor does not need a change.
I did it for my Zen 2 years ago - cost me 7K. Giving excellent cooling and no problem even after 2 years .

Just get it done from a competent workshop and your compressor is in good health.
archat68 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 15:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yogesh,
Compressor is working fine after one year, before the on slot of summer I had served my compressor along with gas top up and its working fine and cools down the car very quickly.
Your car compressor will be using R12 gas which is not available today. contact Sajan he will guide you.
To have proper and effective cooling your car windows must has tinted glass.
uday
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I'm facing the same issue, my 10-year-old Alto needs a refrigerant "fix", however its proving to be rather difficult to source. On the Internet, there are as many voices for a retrofit (to R134a) as against it !

I've received a quote of 6K from an automotive HVAC shop here for the R134a retrofit, apparently the compressor does not need a change. I also came across an EPA page that says the same thing, so does the following retrofit "guide" from Sanden...

Attachment 547966
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I did it for my Zen 2 years ago - cost me 7K. Giving excellent cooling and no problem even after 2 years .

Just get it done from a competent workshop and your compressor is in good health.

Hi Guys,

My 2 cents after having spoken to 4-5 different sources.

1. I spoke to Sajan. He told me that the expansion valve and Evaporator drier bottle needs to be changed. The system needs to be flushed. R12 oil to be replaced with R134a Oil and then re-charge the 134a gas. He quoted around 6k-8k for this job.

2. Allied Auto Agencies (MASS at Khar West, Mumbai) : They said that there was no need to change the Expansion Valve and Evaporator Drier bottle. After flushing the whole system, and filling in R134a oil, the system can be recharged with 134a gas. The whole thing costs around 2k. Also, if one wants super chilling A/C in Zen, he recommended replacing the existing cooling coil with the new Zen, Macro Fin condenser. This requires changing the pipes as well and costs additional 3k

3. Unicool Ghatkopar : Quoted 3200 for flushing + Drier bottle change, oil change and 134a gas charging. But he mentioned the thing about changing the Condenser to a newer version with a greater cooling efficiency which costs 6k.

4. Israr Car A/C (Waterfield Road, Bandra West) : No need to change anything, flush the system, replace oil with 134a and recharge with 134a gas. Quoted around 1650. Have heard a lot about this guy and he is a pro.

5. Vitesse (Prabhadevi) : They were completely against flushing and re-charging. HE said that you need to put in a conversion kit which costs around 10k inclusive of labour. Conversion kit consists of Evaporator Drier bottle, charging valves and 2 pipes.

Now, I'm in a fix.....
Old 21st May 2011, 15:36   #25
BHPian

bro, i own a 2004 Zen,and i have changed my Subros compressor for around Rs 12000..cooling is amazing..i was facing same issues like you.
nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 16:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
bro, i own a 2004 Zen,and i have changed my Subros compressor for around Rs 12000..cooling is amazing..i was facing same issues like you.
The Zen Compressor is 70cc. Did you replace it with a compressor of the same capacity or a bigger one. Probably I can try sourcing it at a reduced price from Kurla CST Road.
Old 21st May 2011, 18:28   #27
BHPian

@yogesh: I forgot to mention i stay in delhi bro, by the way, i replaced the same compressor which was "Subros" brand, the guy also changed the bottle...don't ever go for a used compressor you will be in loss..
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
@yogesh: I forgot to mention i stay in delhi bro, by the way, i replaced the same compressor which was "Subros" brand, the guy also changed the bottle...don't ever go for a used compressor you will be in loss..
Thanks Buddy. At the moment still exploring all possible options. The Vitesse guy says "No point on spending a bomb on such an old car". However, I do not agree with him as this car is close to my heart. So thinking of what to do.

Cheers,
Yogesh
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:48   #29
BHPian

@yogesh: look man, some friends of mine said the same thing (don't spend this much), but the thing is I have no plans to sell off this '2004 zen' for next 2-3 years..if you wish to keep the car with you, then go for it (also if you cant bear the heat)..but if you don't want to keep the car then no point going for even a second hand a/c..
Old 7th February 2012, 22:00   #30
BHPian

Unhappy AC gas problems in '01-02 Zen LX

Guys, please bear with me as I am going to put up a question with some very vague details.

A friend of my father considers me a car 'guru' [which I obviously am not] today called me up saying that his 2001-02 [couldn't mention the exact year as its a second hand car] Zen LX has been suffering with AC problems since October of last year. So he recently went to an authorised maruti service centre ['Sunny auto' if i am not wrong, not exactly a popular service centre. one of those small service centres you in every corner] where he was told that his AC gas had leaked and that it had to be replaced. But the problem is that the grade 12 gas [that is what this uncle of mine claimed it to be] that is used in the AC unit of his car isn't easily available anymore. He was asked to replace a unit [again, I am clueless as to what unit he was talking about. I tried asking him but he couldn't specify] or go to Kalighat where he might be able to procure this so-called grade 12 gas. He then went to kalighat and asked around in a lot of shops and one of the shops said they would clean the compressor with some oil and replace the AC gas with some 134a[or e, again he has got it all mixed up, sorry for confusing you people] grade gas which would work just as well.

Now if you already haven't understood, I have no clue as to what he is talking about. How can one grade of AC gas be replaced with another. I suggested him to visit Machino Techno [a highly reputed maruti service station in kolkata] and ask them for suggestions but he kept on insisting that I should try to find a solution. What do you guys make of this issue? If you people need other details, do ask me and I'll see how much a can bring out from this uncle of mine.
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote