Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th July 2010, 22:12   #1
Default Safari HVAC question

Hi all,

This is Elliven in Goa, posting here for the first time. I love this site and I hope you all can help this newbie. I am the owner of a new Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT which I bought for long distance drives. In general, I've found it to be a relatively solid performer, with the usual "fit and finish" quibbles of Tata vehicles. There is one issue that has been present since the day I got the Safari:

There is a button on the dashboard that gives you the option of either allowing air from the outside to enter the cabin, or blocking it. In my other car (a Maruti Alto) this button works flawlessly. However, I have noticed that in my Safari, whether I press the button or not makes no difference - I can still smell whatever is outside the car. When I took it for the first servicing, the AC technician said that there are 2 motor-controlled vents that are operated by this button. The first one (on the left hand side) can be observed from the glove compartment area (we checked and it worked fine) while the second one (right hand side) can only be accessed by removing the dashboard. Removing the dashboard of a Safari, I am told, is a painstaking operation. The technician said it would take 2 days.

I am a bit confused. On the one hand, the vehicle works fine, save for the inconvenience of smelling smoke, diesel fumes from the vehicles in front etc. On the other hand, Tata service in Goa is notorious for being sloppy. Should I take the chance and let them open the dashboard? Is there any other place the outside air could be leaking from? Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks, Elliven
elliven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 07:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Get them to do it, and get the problem resolved. Two days may be more due to their load. I assume your Safari is still under warranty : even more reason to get it fixed immediately.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 08:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dont let them open your dashboard... unless you want them to create another problem for you.
There is ample evidence on this forum that the vent system design of the Safari is flawed. Whatever they do, you will still smell stuff inside your car. The best option, what many on this forum have done is, to seal of the vent from inside the engine bay.

Open your bonnet and look slightly off centre on your right. You will see the vent. I dont have pics. Seal it off. And things will improve.
Note, you may still get external smell inside the cabin if there is any air leaking inside the cabin via the door beadings... which is again true because you can hear the high wind noise inside the cabin at 100+ which means that there is some air leaking inside.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote