Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th November 2005, 16:39   #1
BHPian

Default Residual paint from other objects...

My black car got scraped by a useless bus driver, who kept on coming back on me at a junction, due to the slope. Inspite of keeping a huge distance, he was somehow unaware of the fact that he was backing up and my honking fell on his deaf ears. So the best thing, i did was to avoid being hit head on by trying to go from the side.. i did manage somehow, but unfortunately the right side of the bumper (i had bumper guard sticker straps) did hit his back and the car shook on impact, but the bus did not even feel anything (too bad).. anyways i stopped my car after the junction and analyzed the issue.

It was a bit dark, time was 9:00pm. I could see some scratches on the bumper, and a bit on the body , on the right of the headlight, thank god it did not break the headlights. (zen is strong :-p)

Anyways morning i checked it again and to my sheer pleasure i realized that 99% of them were the yellowish paint of the bus that stuck on my car. There seems to be no scratch and i was able to remove one line of scratch with my nail , but then didnt have the patience to remove others.

My question
Whats the best way to remove a paint residue from a cars surface. I have seen this site ... http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/bodymain.html#marks it has a section on that. But if others have done it then can someone tell me the best possible way of removing those marks.
(ps: i have even waxed my car with those marks on, since i didnt have time to remove them).

its urgent please, can someone help me.

(dont know if there is another thread discussing the same, searched for it ...)

thanks

Last edited by gchandra : 9th November 2005 at 16:42.
gchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 17:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

try rubbing compound, not sure though
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 17:37   #3
BHPian

Rubbing compound may be too much abrasive. Maybe white polishing compound is better. I guess its for 200/- from tpc3.

Wish there was a separate section for car exterior and interior care .... lots of things to share :-)

Last edited by gchandra : 9th November 2005 at 17:39.
gchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 20:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

gchandra, i had a similar accident. The white bumper of a staff bus scraped the passenger side of my 4-month old black Baleno leaving a white & brown streak about 1.5 feet long (no dents and no scratches) and around an inch wide. I almost cried when I saw it. On reaching home, just on an instinct, I soaked a cloth in water and tried rubbing it off. I was able to undo 75% of the damage. The remaining looked stubborn and like it would not go. So tried to comfort myself by saying that I would get the service centre guys to do something about the rest.
After a few days, I thought if 75% of the damage would go off, why not the rest. Kept repeating the same rubbing with moist cloth (needed lots of patience as progress was slow). Whenever I was near the car and had some time, say waiting for my carpool mates, I would go at it. Heck, a couple of times I even used saliva due to lack of water nearby. Finally, the effort paid off and today, there is no trace of white there.

Don't know whether your damage is similar to mine, but definitely worth a try ie. incase you already did not do something about it (since the last post was like 5 months ago).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th April 2006 at 20:17.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 17:34   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
gchandra, i had a similar accident. The white bumper of a staff bus scraped the passenger side of my 4-month old black Baleno leaving a white & brown streak about 1.5 feet long (no dents and no scratches) and around an inch wide. I almost cried when I saw it. On reaching home, just on an instinct, I soaked a cloth in water and tried rubbing it off. I was able to undo 75% of the damage. The remaining looked stubborn and like it would not go. So tried to comfort myself by saying that I would get the service centre guys to do something about the rest.
After a few days, I thought if 75% of the damage would go off, why not the rest. Kept repeating the same rubbing with moist cloth (needed lots of patience as progress was slow). Whenever I was near the car and had some time, say waiting for my carpool mates, I would go at it. Heck, a couple of times I even used saliva due to lack of water nearby. Finally, the effort paid off and today, there is no trace of white there.

Don't know whether your damage is similar to mine, but definitely worth a try ie. incase you already did not do something about it (since the last post was like 5 months ago).
Hey dude,
Try kerosene. Please soak a cloth in kerosene and rub gently on the scratched area. The transferred paint simply slips out. No need to put any efforts.

Ravi
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 17:38   #6
BANNED

another old thread coming up and people had to reply to them!

isn't there any provision to lock such old threads!
i know its very difficult to maintain such a huge databank, but then t-bhp is known for its quality and not quantity, unlike many similar forums.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 21:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have had this same problem...someone in a white car opened their door too wide and kind of banged into my door.. leaving a white splotch on it at the pont of impact...

Was close to getting it repainted... however will watch this thread closely for solutions before I try that now!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 00:35   #8
aZa
Senior - BHPian

There is a "Scratch remover" available ... its a thick paste like thingie, thinner than a "rubbing compound" u have to shake is vigourously before using ... looks like chalk paste. But once u apply this the residual paint and sh|t is all gone and only the actual scratch or damage remains which usually is very small compared to what it seems like when u first look at it.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 10:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Today an old lady hit the rear bumper of my 3 day old car with her stick. It left a big stain on the car. Can i use nail polish remover to remove the mark easily?
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 10:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Try toothpaste - its easy on your teeth, else try a little washing up liquid on a cloth but you will need to wax the area afterwards
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 12:47   #11
BHPian

use rubbing compound. If not use diluted pure acetone (Not nail polish remover) And remember diluted acetone with water.
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 12:49   #12
BHPian

If the scratch/es areon the bumper, they can also be hidden with a bumper stripe which sometimes also adds to the asthetics of the car.
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 21:44   #13
BHPian

dude just get it machine waxed..it should disappear
nitroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 01:00   #14
BHPian

Guys the thread was started on nov 2005, its very unlikely that he will be still hunting for a way to remove the paint
jayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:06   #15

Default Brush with an Auto

Hi All,
Today morning, my car brushed against an auto. There was
not much damage to both the vehicles, it was all my fault I was thinking something (had a big fight with my wifey) and missed the auto. The auto driver was nice and no further drama. I apologised and he went his way and me on mine. However my car (new swift vdi) got some paint of the auto on its front bumper nothing much visible other than this. I washed it with soap and water the black paint from the auto faded little however did not go away completly. Some tips that I got from some other thread that I will try
1> Try cleaning with Diesel, hope this does not affect the paint on the bumper
Advise if this is a good idea or are there any other better options

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd August 2010 at 14:07. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote