Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2010, 14:21   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,046
Thanked: 476 Times
Arrow Rear windscreen glass peeling off - Rs. 2000 quotes by a M.A.S.S

The rear window glass of my 6.5 yr old WagonR is starting to peel off from the bottom.
Whenever i close the doors, a noise emanates from the windows due to vibrations.
FastTrack Noida (M.A.S.S.) is quoting 800 for glue and 1200 as labour charges.
So as to refit the window with glue replacement.

Would like to know - are they taking me for a ride ? Is the glue used so expensive, and labour charges of 1200 ?

Should i take second opinion from Carnation ?

Last edited by DCEite : 15th July 2010 at 14:24.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Should i take second opinion from Carnation ?
No harm in taking a second opinion - what about Windshield Experts, aren't they usually cheaper than any company workshop?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 14:28   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,024
Thanked: 3,482 Times
Default

I would say the total cost including glue is on par for what the dealers charge, but i would strongly suggest instead of the dealer, getting this done from Windshield Experts in your city.

They would do the job better, but not sure of their charges. Check them out as well.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 14:32   #4
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Take it to Windshield Experts instead. The glue for sure is close to 800 (AFAIK it is 720). You should be able to save on the labor charges if you go to Windshield Experts. Plus you will be able to get the job done expeditiously in front of your eyes.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 14:41   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,046
Thanked: 476 Times
Default

Just called Windshield experts at sec 58 Noida. They are quoting Rs. 1720 (glue+labour)

Is it better to approach Windshield experts - i don't really care about price, what i need is a good job.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 14:50   #6
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Just called Windshield experts at sec 58 Noida. They are quoting Rs. 1720 (glue+labour)

Is it better to approach Windshield experts - i don't really care about price, what i need is a good job.
They do a professional job. My friend needed to get the front windshield on his NHC replaced and I had accompanied him. I liked the quality of workmanship plus the speed of work - we were ready to leave after 2 hours of our arriving at their workshop.

Only thing is they reuse beadings whereas the dealers generally replace them. However since yours is the rear windscreen (which I think does not have any beadings) there is nothing additional for you to gain if you go to the dealer. If I were you I would go to WE.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 07:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Default

This whole professional job story is a load of crock. TASS are professionals too, for e.g But even then, you ALWAYS need to stand on their head. Even MASS ain't perfect in this because the actual greasemonkey is alwaysa fool.

I would heartily recommend this sardarji in Munirka auto parts market (opp bus depot) - he only deals in glass (20+ year old shop) - he has a laminated Swift front windscreen in 2200 incl fitting :-)

His number is available on google too methinks.

/reference from SS-T fwiw.

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th July 2010 at 07:25.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 08:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,745
Thanked: 4,334 Times
Default

How can windshield glass peel off ? Autoglass is designed to crumple into pieces, not peel away like it had layers. Pls post some pics of the problem, atleast so we can see what is happening.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 08:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Condor, DCEite means the glass which is glued to the hatch frame is getting detached.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 09:39   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,632
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The rear window glass of my 6.5 yr old WagonR is starting to peel off from the bottom....


this is shocking !!! How can this happen? I mean, this is supposed to remain stuck permanently (for life). They are supposed to be using high-quality industrial-grade adhesives for this. This is not some part which should require replacement in a car at all (unless damaged in an accident).

Was there any impact (accident/otherwise) on the glass, where it was not strong enough to damage the glass itself, but probably caused it to stress the adhesive layer ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
...Would like to know - are they taking me for a ride ? Is the glue used so expensive, and labour charges of 1200 ?...
I dont know about actual charges, but yes, it will be a bit expensive, I guess. Some tedious manual labour is involved.

And the surface pre-treatment has to be done well, for the glue to be good for life.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 16th July 2010 at 09:46.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 10:19   #11
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This whole professional job story is a load of crock. TASS are professionals too, for e.g But even then, you ALWAYS need to stand on their head. Even MASS ain't perfect in this because the actual greasemonkey is alwaysa fool.

I would heartily recommend this sardarji in Munirka auto parts market (opp bus depot) - he only deals in glass (20+ year old shop) - he has a laminated Swift front windscreen in 2200 incl fitting :-)
Well you would expect the 'master of one' to do a better job than 'jack of all trades'. Each one speaks from his/her own experience. When I was there at WE, I saw those guys replace 3 windscreen in a matter of 2 hours - that of my friend's City, an Accord and a Camry. Each job was cleany and efficiently done. So I definitely do feel they do a professional job.

And if you go to Naharpur - they have the so called 'laminated' windshield for Swift for 1400 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post


Some tedious manual labour is involved.

And the surface pre-treatment has to be done well, for the glue to be good for life.
Not exactly tedious. It's a pretty simple job. They will saw off the glue underneath the old windshield with steel wires, thoroughly clean the surface, reapply fresh glue to the windscreen and stick it back. The process takes 30-45 mins and you have to let the glue dry a bit before driving off (usually wait for around 2 hours). The glue dries completely in around 2 days so till then you have to drive a bit cautiously. The best way is to get the job done in the evening and let the glue settle through the night.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 10:36   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,046
Thanked: 476 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
How can windshield glass peel off ? Autoglass is designed to crumple into pieces, not peel away like it had layers. Pls post some pics of the problem, atleast so we can see what is happening.
Sankar is right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Condor, DCEite means the glass which is glued to the hatch frame is getting detached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post


this is shocking !!! How can this happen? I mean, this is supposed to remain stuck permanently (for life). They are supposed to be using high-quality industrial-grade adhesives for this. This is not some part which should require replacement in a car at all (unless damaged in an accident).

Was there any impact (accident/otherwise) on the glass, where it was not strong enough to damage the glass itself, but probably caused it to stress the adhesive layer ???
Yes it came as a shock to me as well. Is it such an inferior adhesive used by Maruti, because i didn't have any accidental damage whatsoever.
The only thing i can think of is my cleaner - he has a habit of closing the boot door with huge force maybe that had weakened the glass due to air pressure. Though even this reason is not digestible easily.

Last edited by DCEite : 16th July 2010 at 10:39.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 14:12   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Varkala
Posts: 1,125
Thanked: 614 Times
Default

Could there be a chance that the glue (that's peeling off) is not OE, and it was applied by/in a MASS? Means..the window glass was broken before PDI and repaired before delivery.

I know this is a totally useless investigation.

Thanks

Yours truly
Doubting ThoMass
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 15:09   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,632
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
...saw off the glue underneath the old windshield with steel wires, thoroughly clean the surface, reapply fresh glue to the windscreen and stick it back. The process takes 30-45 mins and you have to let the glue dry a bit before driving off (usually wait for around 2 hours)....
This is exactly what I meant by 'tedious process' I was of course comparing to the other jobs that a MASS mechanic can do (without much tedium) using power-tools (lifting car on hydraulic jacks/using power wrenches to unfasten/bring down the engine-gearbox etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
...has a habit of closing the boot door with huge force maybe that had weakened the glass due to air pressure...
If the glue had been applied properly in the first place, I dont think this should cause it come loose.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 15:23   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This whole professional job story is a load of crock.
I presume that you have never used WE which is why you have summarily dismissed them in your usual style. I've used them on more than a couple of occasions (for that "treatment" they do to mend small cracks) & I would agree with Cesc that -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Each job was cleany and efficiently done. So I definitely do feel they do a professional job.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The paint of my car is peeling off! ssbiitm Technical Stuff 17 17th May 2012 15:54
Peeling sun film. What to do? fre2bpowerless Modifications & Accessories 7 28th December 2011 22:08
XYG Glass or Saint Gobain glass HappyRoadie Technical Stuff 10 2nd June 2011 19:50
Rear glass net for Optra rendezvous Modifications & Accessories 4 6th June 2010 19:10
Benz W210 Pre 2000 suspension vs post 2000 Mohnish Technical Stuff 2 21st January 2009 19:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks