Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th July 2010, 12:27   #1
BHPian

Default discharging batteries

hi friends, Should an auto battery get discharged if not used for about a month, even when the leads have been removed.This has been happening
to two batteries which i use in my standard herald and jeep cj2a.I hardly
use them but always remove the leads when parking them.I had the charging checked which is perfect.the batteries are Exide black gold.According to the dealer the problem is with vehicles charging.please advise.
hps aulakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 13:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
hi friends, Should an auto battery get discharged if not used for about a month, even when the leads have been removed.This has been happening
to two batteries which i use in my standard herald and jeep cj2a.I hardly
use them but always remove the leads when parking them.I had the charging checked which is perfect.the batteries are Exide black gold.According to the dealer the problem is with vehicles charging.please advise.
If it is some months without use then it would be natural. Batteries need a charge frequently otherwise they sulphate and die. However if it is over a short period of time i.e. 1 month as you say, then the batts are either not holding a charge or a self discharging faster than normal. Not a good sign. Get your dealer to charge and test them for you. You may also want to get the charging system checked checked.

Regards,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 21:04   #3
BHPian

Do they discharge when you use them as well? I hope not! Looks like a damaged cell within the batterry to me!!

Did you take a reading of amperes at the time when you stored it? Every time the symptomology is seen, that reading could draw a trand for better understanding & troubleshooting.
avigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 22:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If it is some months without use then it would be natural. Batteries need a charge frequently otherwise they sulphate and die. However if it is over a short period of time i.e. 1 month as you say, then the batts are either not holding a charge or a self discharging faster than normal. Not a good sign. Get your dealer to charge and test them for you. You may also want to get the charging system checked checked.

Regards,
R2D2 Once around 6 years back I saw an advertisement by Exide at a exide dealer Amzel at opera house. It was like this ,they show a picture on a poster showing a ancient sunken ship lying for number of years at sea bed, some divers went inside the ship and recovered its batteries and brought them up on their test bench and you know what they claim that still there was some charge left in them ,inspite of being in the sea bed for so long later they charged the battries and still more currunt could be felt why why why because it was EXIDE,it felt ridiculouse to me qnd absurd as well.Pls check if that poster still there .
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 23:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
R2D2 Once around 6 years back I saw an advertisement by Exide at a exide dealer Amzel at opera house. It was like this ,they show a picture on a poster showing a ancient sunken ship lying for number of years at sea bed, some divers went inside the ship and recovered its batteries and brought them up on their test bench and you know what they claim that still there was some charge left in them ,inspite of being in the sea bed for so long later they charged the battries and still more currunt could be felt why why why because it was EXIDE,it felt ridiculouse to me qnd absurd as well.Pls check if that poster still there .
Sorry Iqbal ji...I havent seen that poster though I have read about these long lost at sea batteries on Exide's web site. Frankly I am not too sure about this claim. But I'll give them the benefit of a doubt. I remember Amzel they've been around since a very long time.

Regards,
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 23:26   #6
BHPian

I don't think a healthy battery would loose charge in a month time.
I've seen santro getting started on first crank after 30 days of parking.

you certainly need to get the battery checked and if possible take the volt reading when you start the disconnected shelf life of those battery.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 08:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
Aulakh... there is no way a good battery will discharge within one month. You said you checked the charging. It is the battery charging right. The battery dealer might have checked the battery's electrolyte only. Tell him to discharge and check. Check your vehicle's charging too, you cannot be sure of the battery, what if it was not charged at the time you parked your vehicle. How much old is your battery.

Last edited by Chipz : 20th July 2010 at 08:46.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 09:12   #8
BHPian

Default battery

Batteries will not go down with in 30-40 days.While stopping youe vehilce check your battery charge meter how its showing the charge level.

Check your alternator,If your alternator is not giving 100% power to charge your batteries also you will face this problem.But it will not indicate in the lights or in the meters.So you need to check with ur electrician for this.Surely as per me this will be the problem if the battery is good.

Petrol engines like santro doesnt need too much power to get started after 30 days.even after 3 months also you can start that engine without any trouble.
But diesel engines are not like that,when the compression is not good and only engine is less than 60% means it will not start very quick.self motor will get rotate for number of times and then it will pick it up.
dmaheshkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 11:22   #9
BHPian

This actually depends on quite a few factors: (i) How old the battery is? (ii) Temperature and (iii) Batteries reserve capacity
I have heard batteries lasting for few weeks to few months even without starting the car.

One of my friend lives in a cold temperature area. He would plan on charging it up with a slow charger. Doesn't matter whether the car starts when he returns. But in this way the alternator does not have to work as hard to bring it to a higher level of charge.

Last edited by Aarman_008 : 29th July 2010 at 11:25. Reason: Format
Aarman_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 11:35   #10
mgh
BHPian

If you are driving those vehicles infrequently, that too short distances in cities, especially at night, with headlights on, your alternator/dynamo will not charge the batteries sufficiently. All batteries lose some charge every day even when not connected, older the battery, more it will lose.
Next time, before you disconnect a battery, have it fully charged at a battery shop. If you still face a problem, you need to change your batteries. If you don't have a problem, you need to use your vehicles more, or have higher capacity alternators/dynamos fitted.
If you need to buy a new battery, get a battery with the highest AH rating, which fits.
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote