Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th July 2010, 14:01   #1
BHPian

Default Cam Sensor Problem - Logan Diesel

On Sunday afternoon I left home around 12:30 with me and my wife for function. after driving 10 Kms, after Mulund Toll Naka we climbed the bridge then all of a sudden on the slope the car stopped responding. The acclerator was not responding. Due to the speed of 60 I managed to get the car down the bridge and took it aside. I have tried to start the car again but it was just doig gaarrr- khaach..... the OIL light was glowing for a second and then car just stopped responding. I have checked the battery, it was ok. all the liquid levels were on the satisfactory mark.

We were already getting late for the function. I have managed to get 1 person( I was on the eastern experss highway after Mulund) to push the car and tried to start but it was just giving up after a big thud. Then I gave up and called Mahindra help line. The guy from Ambition Auto - Bhandup arrived after 1.5 hours. he checked all the sensor switches, checked all the connections, he said "saab kuch bada problem lagta hai" then he removed the engine cover and started checking all the connectors, cables etc. then he stubled upon the conenctor to PUMP. he checked the diesel by taking some on his hand and then rubbing both of them. then he said " saab normal fuel mat use karo, milawat ata hai" I said ok. Then he checked the fuel tank by hitting to check for the leakage. luckily it was not raining that time so we could make out that there was no leakage. Then he started removing conenctors and tried starting the car. after one connector removal the car started but then again after a minute the car engine stopped by giving few thuds. he did the same thing for 6-7 times then luckily the car started but then battery gave away. he said while starting the car many times battery might have lost it's charge. then again he went to the service centre, returned back after 1 hour with batter, he did a jump start and somehow we managed to start the car.

All these activities took 3 hours, we were there on the HIGHWAY hoping to get the problem sorted. The family Function for which we were supposed to go was over by then. Wife was already fuming with anger ( the function was at her relatives home. ).

Somehow we managed to reach the service centre. We have to start the car many times in between...

yesterday service centre guy told me that they have found 6-7 error codes and they have managed to crack 6 of them and they were not able to crack 1.
Today I have called them as I was very impatient. The guy said the problem is in CAM SENSOR due to which it is not synching with ECU. he is trying to get the CAM SENSOR now..

Sorry for the long story but it was a very stressful exp for me of 3 hours. Had a fight with the wife at home after that.

Can somebody tell me whether the CAM SENSOR is included in the extended warrenty?
_Vyenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 16:47   #2
BHPian

What could be the possibilities of CAM SENSOR faliure?
Old 28th July 2010, 14:11   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about your breakdown, Vyenky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Vyenky View Post
Can somebody tell me whether the CAM SENSOR is included in the extended warrenty?
Sure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Vyenky View Post
What could be the possibilities of CAM SENSOR faliure?
It is generally engineered to last the lifetime of your car. However, as with all electronic parts, they can fail anytime and without warning.

I wouldn't be too worried about this. Just have Mahindra install a new one (under warranty) and you are all set.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 15:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

You might have to pay for a gift for your wife though
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 18:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Cam censor failure is ok, but why the engine 'thud' and 'gaarrr- khaach'? Cannot mechanics overrule the electronics in limp mode?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 21:40   #6
BHPian

@GTO The service guy says it is not included in the warrenty. I am cross checking with the Mahindra tomorrow. To be honest I did not knew the actual working of the Cam Sensor, but after reading it on few websites I was a bit relaxed.

@Eddy You are right. I will have to....

@ramzsys I have asked the same question to the service guy today evening, he said "Sir I will explain you everything as soon as we receive the part from Mahindra"

Waiting for the car back on track.
Old 29th July 2010, 00:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its a small components which sends ECU about the position/speed of Camshaft movement.

Its definitely comes under warranty. BTW it usually never fails.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 01:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

A part of the engine cannot be excluded from the warranty. They are trying to take you for a ride.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 20:30   #9
BHPian

it is included in the warrenty and my car will be ready by saturday evening but I will take it on Monday as I am going yo alibag as preplanned.
Is there anything specfic to be checked while getting the car back? With the long test drive is there anything specific I need to check?
Old 4th August 2010, 20:41   #10
BHPian

Finally I got my car back yesterday morning. The Cam Sensor is replaced with no charge. I have to pay only 380 RS for General checkup.
I could not speak with the advisor as I was in the hurry for Office and to avoid the traffic problem between Thane-Mumbai. I am going tomorrow to speak with the advisor in detail. He has told me to come to speak in detail sometime.

So My car is back on track now. Thanks everybody.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Venky, I was so much taken aback when I heard about your issue on cam sensor going kaput for no reason. Trust me, you incidence had instilled fear of Mahindra in me, but the way they handled it without hassles has bought in confidence. Thanks for sharing the incident.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote