Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st July 2010, 00:30   #1
BHPian

Default Coolant leak near alternator

Since few days I was noticing this leak but now its flow is increasing, not so much that I can see a drop in coolant level but yes I do have to top up every week with say about 200-300ml of coolant. How can a coolant leak from here ? Does coolant circulate inside these mechanical parts too? I thought it was only around pistons and radiator.
Name:  coolantleak.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  99.2 KB

Can I drive it like this for some more days or should I visit mechanic immediately? How much repair expense I can expect?

Car is Maruti 1000
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 02:05   #2
BHPian

It is probably time to get your water pump checked. I had a similar issue. Age and moisture (due to constant flow of coolant) catch up with the water pump. In my case, the metal of the water pump had a puncture due to corrosion. 5 years of use with 28K on the odo was maybe a one-off case. But the timing belt had worn out appreciably, so replaced that too.

I would suggest to get your timing belt, alternator belt, and AC belt replaced too. The job to replace the water pump needs removal of most items listed.
indianv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 02:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

It must be at the end of the coolant tube that has caused this trouble; I'd to change it during the service yesterday; the tube for WagonR is not that expensive, say about 200+tax or something (not paid or received the bill yet).

How long did it take to make that kind of leak? If it is within one day, then you may have to take it ASAP; but if it is in hours, then DO IT NOW!!!

Mine was not even so much to spill out, but we were able to see the dried up coolant (green powder stuff) at the end of the tube & changed it since, didn't want to take chances.

If you decide to keep it for sometime, do not take out of city, when driving, keep an eye on the temp guage often.

Last edited by aargee : 31st July 2010 at 03:01.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 09:16   #4
BHPian

Thanks indianv2 so it looks like water pump resides below that area and its metal sheet is punctured? About a year back Timing belt broke so it was changed and I think it should be good as new now but anyway I'll get that checked, I also changed AC belt this summer season.

@aargee: no it takes about a week to show slightly low level in coolant box. Ok I'll keep checking and probably take time to visit mechanic soon.
Old 31st July 2010, 21:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Either water pump seal is worned or gasket is gone. If seal is gone you have to change it. If gasket is gone you can use loctite to seal it. Either way you have to open timming belt pulley etc.

BTW is the engine temp fine. does your car heats up.?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 22:06   #6
BHPian

SirAlec I was just waiting for your reply

Yes the car temp. is fine its not overheating. Temp. needle never go beyond middle point, its mostly below it.
Old 31st July 2010, 22:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check the following image.
If its leaking from red it can be fixed. Rs.75 for loctite tube (gasket maker) plus labour.

If its yellow. The pump cost Rs.650. plus labour.

Either way its not expensive.

On the other hand check at the back side below intake there is a small pipe and elbow. this can be conked too. Its unlikely the spill will go up front but no harm in checking right.

Also check gasket area. and any trace of oil in coolant. This will be rare as your car is running normal.

Name:  25 oil pump and coolant pump installed.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  92.8 KB
Old 31st July 2010, 23:25   #8
BHPian

Looks like its the Red arrow where the leak is, I'll also check the pipe you said tomorrow morning. Gasket area is free from any coolant mark but only leaks engine oil in trace amount keeping the head dirty all time. Tightened the head cover nuts as they were slightly loose, yet to see if this stops engine oil leak.
Old 1st August 2010, 14:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

If engine oil leaks take the tappet/head cover and replace the gasket. Its about Rs.65.

Fitting this gasket is bit tricky. so you have to check that.
Old 1st August 2010, 20:17   #10
BHPian

I had a look at the pipe and elbow below the intake and I found some jugaad of mseal over that pipe done by the previous owner but its not leaking. Its totally dry but I'll get that pipe replaced.
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:21   #11
BHPian

Got the water pump replaced today, small portion of it was eaten away by water causing leak, even bolts holding the pump were rusted.

Name:  waterpump.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  61.1 KB

Cost of water pump - 450rs and labor 200rs.

Last edited by Hashim : 3rd August 2010 at 18:23.
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is the only reason, I recommended somebody in the forum last week for a periodical coolant flush.

I am so happy your problem is resolved.