Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd May 2011, 16:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Mitsubishi Cedia's maintenance cost

Thanks Gaurav. Some replies in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post

These things wont burn a hole in pocket, the things I listed earlier will. Check if those have been sorted or if you need to take care of them.
Alas! Fuel pump has not been replaced. It was checked at 1lac, but it was found to be good. A.S.S. left it up to the owner. Since cost was high (around 25K, maybe it was not done). Timing belt has been changed at 1 lac KM. (That service cost was around 22 K). Suspension work done at 90K (don't remember what exactly was done, though). What is interesting is that no work has been done on the clutch. I didn't find any issues with the clutch when I drove the car yesterday. Does the Cedia clutch last for so long?

At 1 lac kms, the gear shifts should have been super smooth. the gears of cedia gets better with age, believe me.
Owner claimed that the gear shift issue was there since day one. He didn't want them to open it up to mess with it. It didn't bother him or his driver much so they lived with it.

The select edition didnt have fog lights and leather seats compared to elegance. Though, sports too didnt have these in 2006.
Need to check if this one has fog lights or not

Even in pune, any thing over 3.5-3.7 for this car will be too much.

On car wale valuation, check fair prices for this car, 4 lac for individual and 3.5 for dealer.
The price is 4.16 L on Carwale if you are buying a Fair condition car from individual. Selling prices are what you are referring to above.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Got the car checked today.
Some parts need replacement such as front shock absorber, all brake calipers and a few other parts - primarily related to ride quality over bad roads and noises coming when the car goes on bad roads.
The total estimate given is just short of 50K. Spares are expensive.
Also I checked with the service manager on the fuel pump assembly. As per him, if fuel pump condition is good at 1 lac, then he wouldn't recommend changing it at all. As per him it is not mandatory, but inspection is a must!
He is also aware of fuel pump issues in Mumbai area.
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Alas! Fuel pump has not been replaced. It was checked at 1lac, but it was found to be good. A.S.S. left it up to the owner. Since cost was high (around 25K, maybe it was not done).
HAHA.. How was it found good??? You shouldn't be buying this. Fuel pump of cedia is inside the fuel tank and they wont have opened the tank to check the pump...or did they??

Quote:
What is interesting is that no work has been done on the clutch. I didn't find any issues with the clutch when I drove the car yesterday. Does the Cedia clutch last for so long?
Well, the life of clutch depends more on driving conditions as well as driving style of the driver. Sure, if driven in a sedate manner with no over riding and in decent traffic conditions, this thing can easily do 1.5 lac kms plus.

Quote:
Got the car checked today.
Some parts need replacement such as front shock absorber, all brake calipers and a few other parts - primarily related to ride quality over bad roads and noises coming when the car goes on bad roads.
The total estimate given is just short of 50K. Spares are expensive.
Also I checked with the service manager on the fuel pump assembly. As per him, if fuel pump condition is good at 1 lac, then he wouldn't recommend changing it at all. As per him it is not mandatory, but inspection is a must!
Considering high cost, I too wont recommend changing the fuel pump assembly till you feel missing or low FE. However, saying that the pump is in good condition will just be an assumption rather than a fact.

Does the complete caliper assembly needs replacement or just the pistons? Changing complete assembly is a bit wierd.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 11:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

^
I don't know how they would have checked the fuel pump during 1 lac KM servicing. I assume they would have a standard procedure to check the same.
The mileage as per the driver is 10.5 in city and 12 on highway.
As far as the clutch is concerned, it feels fine to everyone (including me) at the moment. They cannot comment further unless they open up the car.

Now as far as calipers are concerned, I don't have much knowledge about this part, but there are two of these in the front and two at the back - each once costs around 5.5 - 6.6 K. This itself will be about 24 K (approx figures, since I don't remember the exact figures now)
Old 4th May 2011, 13:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel Pump Assembly - 23k including 1k labour
Timing Belt - 5 k including 1k labour
Clutch - 9k including labour
Flywheel (may be) - 12k including labour (if I remember right)
Suspension Overall - 45k including labour

Any pipe (steering, ac etc) will cost upward of 8-9k.

If the above mentioned has been carried out by the owner, you may pay around 3.5 max.
23k for a bloody fuel pump!!! are you sure mate ?
I got a 255 lph TRE one for my lancer which also has the pump inside the tank and i picked it up for 110 AUD which less than 5k man.
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 15:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

I can confirm that price of 23 K is correct. I am not sure if that price is including labour or not.
Old 5th May 2011, 18:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I can confirm that price of 23 K is correct. I am not sure if that price is including labour or not.
23k !! Yikes.
I can assure you that you get a Walbro/TRE 255 LPH Fuel pump for close to 100 USD,which works out to approx. 5k and maybe 1k more for shipping.
Btw 23k includes the pump only or the entire assembly ? Although I dont know why one would want to replace everything including the assembly,its the electrical pump that gives way.
Consider this-
You buy a Walbro 255 LPH pump but to use that you need a FPR because the stock one wont be handle the pressure so you buy a good quality FPR from say AEM or Sard and so on. AEM one costs 110 $ which would work out to say 8k including shipping.
Both of these cost around 14-15k all included! Still you end up saving close to 9k!
Added advantage, is that you can slightly up the rated pressure from 43.5 psi to say 45-48 psi and have a little bit more performance while saving money,how cool is that!
Old 5th May 2011, 21:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

@SUN: Do check out the carwale classifieds from Mumbai.
I saw a red Cedia Sports with 44Kkm for 3.9L. I am sure it can be negotiated to 3.5L.
Similarly, there was a pearl white elegance listed there with similar details for 3.75L.

If you are willing to buy from Mumbai, it might work out better for you.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 01:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
23k !! Yikes.
I can assure you that you get a Walbro/TRE 255 LPH Fuel pump for close to 100 USD,which works out to approx. 5k and maybe 1k more for shipping.
Btw 23k includes the pump only or the entire assembly ? Although I dont know why one would want to replace everything including the assembly,its the electrical pump that gives way.
Consider this-
You buy a Walbro 255 LPH pump but to use that you need a FPR because the stock one wont be handle the pressure so you buy a good quality FPR from say AEM or Sard and so on. AEM one costs 110 $ which would work out to say 8k including shipping.
Both of these cost around 14-15k all included! Still you end up saving close to 9k!
Added advantage, is that you can slightly up the rated pressure from 43.5 psi to say 45-48 psi and have a little bit more performance while saving money,how cool is that!
Hi Amey, thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing some sources/links from where you sourced the fuel pump. Excuse my technical knowledge (I learn more as and when I get any such job in my car, but havent had fuel pump replacement in any cars yet), does the stock cedia have filter along with the pump assembly or is it just the pump. Because, lancer does have a cartrage type filter under the hood but cedia doesnt. Also, the pump of cedia is replaced at 1 lac kms, so do you suggest one should change it or leave it till its working fine. Lastly, does the substitute fuel pumps you have referred here also lasts the same time.

And what exactly is a FPR and LPH. Sorry for too many questions .

Thanks
Gaurav

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th May 2011 at 01:18.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 08:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amey, thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing some sources/links from where you sourced the fuel pump. Excuse my technical knowledge (I learn more as and when I get any such job in my car, but havent had fuel pump replacement in any cars yet), does the stock cedia have filter along with the pump assembly or is it just the pump. Because, lancer does have a cartrage type filter under the hood but cedia doesnt. Also, the pump of cedia is replaced at 1 lac kms, so do you suggest one should change it or leave it till its working fine. Lastly, does the substitute fuel pumps you have referred here also lasts the same time.

And what exactly is a FPR and LPH. Sorry for too many questions .

Thanks
Gaurav
Hi Gaurav,
I haven't personally checked a Cedia so up close so I dont know but I assumed it would have a similar arrangement like the Lancer,that is a submersible pump and a filter upfront.
There is no need to replace the pump if its working fine,unless ofcourse you want to try out a high pressure pump with a FPR to see if it really makes minor difference in performance.
Walbro is a reputed company and I am sure the pump should last pretty well.The TRE one I am using hasnt given any issues till date,although my car has run only 10k kms.
FPR is a Fuel Pressure Regulator. The ones I recommended are adjustable ones in which you could adjust the fuel pressure from stock to anything the pump is capable of and even reduce.
LPH is Litres per hour.

Here is your link to the Pump - Walbro Lancer Fuel Pump
Old 6th May 2011, 09:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@SUN: Do check out the carwale classifieds from Mumbai.
Thanks for the leads. The red one looks good from outside.
However, I am still not keen on getting cars through dealers. I would prefer getting cars from direct owners with full service history.

The other issue with Mumbai cars is that I don't have any contacts with Mitsubishi A.S.S in Mumbai (unlike Pune A.S.S.)

So, very bleak chances that I would get proper information from them on phone.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
23K is for the fuel pump assembly.
I am not sure why the whole thing needs replacement. I assume it comes as a single unit (but I could be wrong).
Old 6th May 2011, 11:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well, atleast this would give you bargaining power over the seller in Pune.

Does any one know how much the skirts and spoiler cost?
The low cost of ownership, rugedness, modification ability, and japanese reliability have put this car on top of my wishlist as an affordable tuner.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 13:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

My Lancer is nearing 100K and I think its time for the timing belt change. Does anyone can suggest a trusted mechanic in Bangalore or Kochi who can do it? Or is it better to stick on to A.S.S?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 17:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your valuable inputs Amey

Quote:
Hi Gaurav,
I haven't personally checked a Cedia so up close so I dont know but I assumed it would have a similar arrangement like the Lancer,that is a submersible pump and a filter upfront.
Cedia certainly doesnt have a filter up front, I will ask Mitsubishi's engineer about the difference in cedia and lancer's fuel pump/filters, next time I visit A$$. There is a submersible pump, thats for sure, but I dont know about filter.

The electric pump I guess will cost 7k (child part as Mitsui calls it) and the complete assembly costs 23k. And you are definitely right, its only the pump that fails, so why replace complete assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Does any one know how much the skirts and spoiler cost?
The low cost of ownership, rugedness, modification ability, and japanese reliability have put this car on top of my wishlist as an affordable tuner.
This thing certainly is very reliable but if parts fail, they are expensive. For the skirts and spoiler, last I checked 2 years back, each front and rear skirt costed 17k each and each side skirt costed 9k each. Painting charges extra. Considering these prices, the spoiler too should cost more than 15k from A$$.

However, you can import these from singapore/US/Dubai for much less I believe.

And YES, NOTHING beats lancer/cedia when its comes to being affordable/favourite tuner's cars.

But one thing is for sure, the bumpers/skirtings on cedia are among the best (quality) I have seen on cars this side of 20 lac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
My Lancer is nearing 100K and I think its time for the timing belt change. Does anyone can suggest a trusted mechanic in Bangalore or Kochi who can do it? Or is it better to stick on to A.S.S?
If you already dont know a trusted mechanic, try stick to A$$ for timing belt replacement. I wont recommend visiting a mechanic first time and get the timing belt changed. From A$$ cedia's timing chain costs 5k including labour. Lancer's timing belt should cost same if not less.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th May 2011 at 18:02.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote