Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th August 2010, 01:15   #1

Default Accelerator floored but engine RPM not increasing?

I've recently bought a Ford Figo 1.2 Petrol and even while TDing I felt the second gear to be little sluggish. However, I still bought the car because of other features and VFM.

After regularly driving for about 2 weeks, I notice a strange behaviour - not sure if it's the case with every car out there. Even on mild slopes, eg. flyovers, if I try to pick from a 5-10kmph speed on 2nd gear the car literally crawls. Even if I press the accelerator to the floor, the engine RPM does not increase, nor does the car speed. It seems as if the car is "ignoring" the accelerator. It takes a full 5-10 seconds to pick up some speed and make the climb (or I get frustrated and shift to 1st gear and rev it up).

What's the reason for such behaviour?
saurabhnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 03:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

If it is a new car, you are lugging the engine by driving in 2nd gear at 5 KMPH!! Shifting up to 1st is the right thing to do, and it wont hurt in the long run if you keep the in-gear revs a tad higher (that is, upshift a bit later / downshift a bit earlier than you normally do). Check the optimum speed limits given by Ford (am sure it would be there in the 'book'), and keep to it atleast while running in.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 09:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhnanda View Post
I've recently bought a Ford Figo 1.2 Petrol and even while TDing I felt the second gear to be little sluggish. However, I still bought the car because of other features and VFM.

After regularly driving for about 2 weeks, I notice a strange behaviour - not sure if it's the case with every car out there. Even on mild slopes, eg. flyovers, if I try to pick from a 5-10kmph speed on 2nd gear the car literally crawls. Even if I press the accelerator to the floor, the engine RPM does not increase, nor does the car speed. It seems as if the car is "ignoring" the accelerator. It takes a full 5-10 seconds to pick up some speed and make the climb (or I get frustrated and shift to 1st gear and rev it up).

I think you are over loading a new car by shifting early, that too on a slope. For such shifting patterns most of the cars will respond like that only. You should practice shifting a bit late and that will solve the issue. Just look at RPM before shifting and don't bother the speed. For the run-in period better shifting a bit later also so that the engine doesn't feel loaded.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 6th August 2010 at 09:41. Reason: correction
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 10:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Saurabh, 5-10 Kmph in second gear will always be sluggish no matter its Figo or Mustang. Also driving in 2nd gear & 5-10 Kmph is not adviced as you're slogging the engine to work harder at lower gears, shifting to 1st gear will give your car a longer life & better performance in longer run. Since your car is relatively new, the first few 1000 Kms matters a lot as how you run you car. Pls check your owners manual as to see at which is the right gear & optimum RPM to shift up/down the gears.

Point - If you're experiencing sluggishness in 2nd gear at the speeds 25+ or more, then there's an issue, with 5-10, this is normal.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 10:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey Saurabh as some experts here have already addressed your concern, I would like to add my 2 cents.
Since I have always owned a Petrol Engine, its more of an instinct for me to shift down to the 1st gear if the car slows below 10km/hr.
However, have seen one of my close friend who owns a Verna VGT, shift down to 1st gear at very low speeds though this Car has humungous torque and is quite capable of rolling in the 2nd gear from a dead stop!!

So, I guess its probably more of how "You Should" rather than how "You Can" with the Diesel engines.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 6th August 2010 at 10:40.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 10:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
So, I guess its probably more of how "You Should" rather than how "You Can" with the Diesel engines.
You said it right. The car in discussion here is a petrol Figo though. If its a diesel means, you've tremendous torque at your service, you can even cruise at around 40-50 kph on 5th gear without even touching the throttle on any diesel. Again since his car is in the running-in period, its always better not to over load the engine for some few thousands. Care at this period of ownership will bring on smiles later on
Old 6th August 2010, 11:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

From first or second gear one cannot extract torque. Both are power driven.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 12:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
you can even cruise at around 40-50 kph on 5th gear without even touching the throttle on any diesel.
I would not recommend lugging the engine even on a Diesel car (I drive one which has the same Verna's engine, albeit in a Getz package ). Like you said, I can move from stand still on a steep upwards incline in 2nd gear in my car - but I wont do that. Not because the engine feels strained even remotely, but for the clutch. It is one heavy duty piece of equipment in Diesels, and replacing it would be costlier than a Petrol car's clutch - why strain it when bumping up the in-gear RPM a bit more wont hurt the mileage at all?!!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 12:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I didn't understand this. Can you just elaborate.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:56   #10
BHPian

is engine revving up normally while idling or no load condition ? do you experience clutch slipping while accelerating ?
vinmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 14:15   #11
Team-BHP Support

5kmph in second gear on a flyover?? This is lugging the engine. Shift to first!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 15:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Saurabh.

Is the problem only while climbing uphill or even on normal flat surface ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I didn't understand this. Can you just elaborate.
+1 to ^^
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 15:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhnanda View Post
After regularly driving for about 2 weeks, I notice a strange behaviour...
...if I try to pick from a 5-10kmph speed on 2nd gear the car literally crawls.

You mean this behaviour was NOT there earlier?

And what's the rpm from which you are attempting to pull out in 2nd gear? Keep that needle above 1400-1500 rpm, and the car should respond as you want it to.

IMO all the others are right - you ARE lugging your engine.Have more fun reading about it here (Do you lug your engine?).
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 14:08   #14
BHPian

Being with a Chevy Beat I can understand what he was trying to explain. I think he is referring to the sluggishness in the 2nd gear. Itís a fact that there is some lack of torque in 2nd gear when the rpm falls below 1K. Itís very much evident in city drives where the stop and go traffic. Itís noticeable in almost all recently launched 1.2L BS4 cars like Figo, Beat, Estilo etc.
I felt it very much annoying in Beat, made a complaint to the company and got an ECU re mapping but that too was not a fix and am yet to get the latest version. Now GM has come up with a new version of ECU mapping and gives it to all customers who are complaining about the sluggishness. According to the SVC, the new cars are mapped with this latest software. The new version is far better than the previous ones and the drivability has improved notably as per the owners. I havenít heard about the Figo ECU remapping incidents but you can ask at the SVC if anything available currently
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 22:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its very bad driving, why are you people keeping the car way below the rev band. I mean 1000rpm is lower than a cruising speed.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote