Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th August 2010, 09:47   #1
BHPian

Default Car pulling to right

Hi,

I found 4 topics related to the issue but not exactly the same. All the topics are more than 1 year old and none of them were helpful enough with no response from the OP on solution, so creating a new one in hope to resolve my issue.

My car has all 5 tubeless with alloys. I don't remember exactly from when, but my car is pulling to right. Turning right is easy, but turning to left is difficult. On straignt roads I can't leave my steering. While I break the car tends to pull even more.

Things I have tried to solve the issue

1. Wheel Balancing and allignment (Several Times)
2. Interchanging all the wheels using as many permutations and combinations.
3. Checked thread, all 5 wheels were bought together and all are in good condition equally.
4. A.S.S checked rotation and everything else possible and found nothing wrong.
5. Checked on plain roads (No road banking)
6. Asked a heavy weight to sit in the left and a light weight to drive the car (there was some difference).

So guys, please suggest me what needs to be done. This is really taking away my sleep and I keep worrying about it all the time. I sometimes feel it's too dangerous driving the car like this. The car runs absolutely smooth even at high speeds. No wabbling what so ever.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 22:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

My first question would be, did your car took a hard hit. I mean does it has an accidental history.
Or did you jump a really bad speed breaker or pot hole.

You should check the following.
1. trailing arm
2. tie-rod
3. Torsion bar.

Last edited by SirAlec : 12th August 2010 at 22:54.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 06:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
My first question would be, did your car took a hard hit. I mean does it has an accidental history.
Or did you jump a really bad speed breaker or pot hole.

You should check the following.
1. trailing arm
2. tie-rod
3. Torsion bar.
I shall take the car to the A.S.S and ask them to check these. I have got the ball joint replaced BTW. Atleast the mechanic told he did, am not sure if he really did it.

No accidental history at all. I remember once there was a Pot hole near cantoonment and it rained that day. It was a deep one but the wheel which went in was the Front left wheel. If that was the reason, the car would pull to the right?

Thank You for your reply.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Hi,

While I break the car tends to pull even more.
This could possibly happen by a sticking brake caliper.

A slight pull under acceleration on a front wheel drive car may be normal. This is called "torque steer" and is caused because the front drive axles are not the exact same length. It is not a defect, just a fact with most Forward designs. The transmission is not located in the exact center of the car, and one axle must be longer than the other. This causes a pull under hard acceleration.

If you have a brake problem, it could also cause the car to pull when the brakes are applied.

BTW what is the make of your car?
Aarman_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 13:22   #5
BHPian

I had a similar issue with my Bolero, but only during braking.
The culprit was the front brake pads and the disk.
I had got the disc faced a bit, when it had developed some marks on it. The lathe guy had faced off uneven thickness of material from the discs, resulting in the right disc a tad thicker than the left one. Again, the faced surface was not smooth, that the pads were not in full contact with the disc on braking.

I suggest you to check the discs and pads.
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 14:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...my car is pulling to right. Turning right is easy, but turning to left is difficult. On straignt roads I can't leave my steering. While I break the car tends to pull even more.
Please brake, don't break anything...
Quote:
I have got the ball joint replaced BTW. Atleast the mechanic told he did, am not sure if he really did it.
Do you mean the front axle CV joint? Was only one joint replaced (I suspect the right one)? And was this a refurbished axle/CV joint rather than a new one? If yes, then that is the cause of your problem. Replace both left and right CV joints together, preferably with new ones, and your problem should disappear.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 14:09   #7
BHPian

It's an Accent.

If the problem is with the break pad, will it happen only while breaking? or normal drives also.

There is 1 more problem which I forgot to mention. When I take a complete U-turn or a sharp turn even at a speed of 3-5KMPH both the front tyres wobbles in a strange way. If I draw it, both the tyres go like ~~~~

This is again only while taking sharp turns and not on normal turns. There is no wobbling on straight road no matter whatever speed I go at.
Old 13th August 2010, 14:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I take a complete U-turn or a sharp turn even at a speed of 3-5KMPH both the front tyres wobbles in a strange way. If I draw it, both the tyres go like ~~~~
At least one (if not both) of the front axle CV joints are malfunctioning. Usually a problem with badly refurbished joints. Replace both with new parts.
Old 13th August 2010, 14:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
At least one (if not both) of the front axle CV joints are malfunctioning. Usually a problem with badly refurbished joints. Replace both with new parts.
Thanks.

@regarding your earlier question - I had replaced both the ball joints after I started facing this issue. It was a local mechanic who did it (1st and last time I gave my car to a local mechanic). I was charged 1300 for both. Not sure if it was replaced with a new one or not because I was not present at the garage when this job was done.

Anyways, will get the CV joints checked. Added to my list. Anymore possible reasons? Appreciate the response.
Old 13th August 2010, 15:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is this a Hyundai diesel ?

As suggested by SS-T, check the CV joints for eliminating the front wobble while taking a turn.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 16:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had replaced both the ball joints after I started facing this issue. It was a local mechanic who did it (1st and last time I gave my car to a local mechanic). I was charged 1300 for both.

Anyways, will get the CV joints checked. Added to my list. ... Appreciate the response.
1300 INR won't buy even 1 axle, forget both - IIRC they're @3000 INR each for the petrol Accent (I hope yours is petrol and not CRDi - now those are expensive, and the reason why kpzen asked!!!). Badly refurbished replacement axles put in by the mechanic - just a case of bad diagnosis, where the axles were probably changed for no reason.
Quote:
Anymore possible reasons?
Doing what your handle says (Googling) can reveal innumerable possible reasons - for the moment, just change the axles and get a four-wheel alignment done. Your issue will be solved.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 13th August 2010 at 16:53.
Old 16th August 2010, 06:09   #12
BHPian

I thought 1300 is quite less.

I was tired showing my car to advaith and trident. All they would do is, check rotations and do allignment and return me the car. After allignment, the car would run perfectly for some days but again after few days back to it's old "go-to-right" rule.

I thought let me get the car to a local mechanic. I explained him the problem and he reacted that he knew exactly what the problem was and also told me some effects like an astrologer does. I was happy that atleast someone knew what the problem was and I gave it to him.

He returned the car after 2 days and the total bill was 1300 only. I suspected fowl play so I said I will pay after checking the ride. I paid him only 900 after a week.

Have given the car to Advaith again on Sarjapur road. Lets see what they come up with?

Guys a serious concern here - After having a long talk with the service advisor, he said that he could take parts from other cars and replace it with the faulty ones in mine (if any). I denied and he said he knows so many T-BHPians who do this even with their friend's vehicle. He meant, when a guy comes and gives his car for servicing, his friend also gives the car and bribes the SA to replace the faulty parts. This was really sad on whoever did it. I warned the SA that if anything such happens to my car I will screw his life. Did not agree to bribe him.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:24   #13
BHPian

The right side wheel cylinder may get engaged and not getting released.

Check whether your wheel discs are getting heated abnormally,.

If ball joints were problem,Surely u will get some difference in steering wheel.Sounds and vibrations will be produced.
dmaheshkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 06:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
The right side wheel cylinder may get engaged and not getting released.

Check whether your wheel discs are getting heated abnormally,.

If ball joints were problem,Surely u will get some difference in steering wheel.Sounds and vibrations will be produced.
No sound and vibrations at all. I can just see the steering tilt to right. I just noticed, when the car is full with 4-5 occupants, the force is little less. I mean the pulling to right is reduced by 70% but most of the time I drive the car alone.

I took the car to Hyundai in whitefield and showed the problem of wheel behaving strage when taking a sharp turn. The SA said it is probably because I have wider tyres I smiled at him and left the service centre.

Guys any good service centre anyone would like to suggest me? Around Marathalli, Indira Nagar etc?
Old 17th August 2010, 10:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Guys any good service centre anyone would like to suggest me? Around Marathalli, Indira Nagar etc?
Did you try Advaith Hyundai on Outer Ring Road? It's right opposite to the Intel campus.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote