Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd August 2010, 14:33   #31
BHPian

Now that you have got a starter motor and money has not gone out of your bank account, how about stopping the payment now? :-D
Is there a legal impact of this?
aroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:59   #32

check distributor,if necessary,change a new one
charlesxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 21:07   #33
BANNED

Well, just tell them that you will honour the cheque when you get back the motor from Honda . In case Honda thinks the motor is burnt , then please ask the dealer to get in touch with honda and get back the motor . Do you have the serial no. of the old motor ? Make sure you get the same motor .

If the honouring of the cheque is necessary then get a letter from the dealership that the old motor was sent to Honda and if possible try to get the serial no. of the motor as well .

If Honda refuses the claim , then we atleast have the liberty of disassembling the motor and make a video to send it to other auto mags and the video can be posted on this site as well .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 22:10   #34
BHPian

Post deleted by Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th September 2010 at 16:48. Reason: Post edited.
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:29   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Now that you have got a starter motor and money has not gone out of your bank account, how about stopping the payment now? :-D
Is there a legal impact of this?
The practical impact is that he will not get the old motor back & he cant come back to the dealership again.

I would not do that for 6K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Do you have the serial no. of the old motor ? Make sure you get the same motor .

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th September 2010 at 16:50. Reason: Removed reference of deleted post.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

hold the payment of cheque.. write a strong email with a link to this thread.

Anita Sharma
GM - Marketing Communication
Honda Siel Cars India Ltd.
Plot No. A-1, Sector 40/41
Surajpur-Kasna Road
Distt. Gautam Budh Nagar
Greater Noida Industrial Development Area
UP-201306
Email: anita@hondacarindia.com
Phone: 2341313
Fax: 2341261/300
Dialing codes: Delhi–95120; Others-0120

Ravi Sharma / Suniti Tekchandani
Corporate Communications
Honda Siel Cars India Ltd.
Plot No. A-1, Sector 40/41
Surajpur-Kasna Road
Distt. Gautam Budh Nagar
Greater Noida Industrial Development Area
UP-201306
Email: ravisharma@hondacarindia.com
Email: suniti@hondacarindia.com
Phone: 2341313
Fax: 2341261/300
Dialing codes: Delhi–95120; Others-0120
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:41   #37
BHPian

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and support.

I would not want to stop the payment of the cheque, rather I would like to use it as the very last resort, if all else fails and Honda continues to behave like this. The people at the dealership, although seemingly incompetent, have tried to be as accomodating as possible. I realise that if I stop the payment of the cheque, it's the dealership (rather some individuals at the dealership) who would be eating the loss, not Honda.

I did not take the serial number of the old motor, I realise I should have. I have called up the service manager and asked him to give me the serial number. Anyway, they're not sending the motor right away to Honda. First they need to do some tests of their own, send some reports to Honda, wait for something called "Form 38" and then send the motor across.

In case Honda does refuse the warranty claim (which I'm still hoping they won't), I'll most definitely insist on getting my old motor back. Then we can see what is to be done with it.

@panky12345: Thanks a lot for these contacts. I have written all three of them a strongly worded mail with a link to this thread. Let's see if there is any response.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again!
Vineet
vineetmanghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 14:54   #38
BHPian

Had sent the following email to the email addresses mentioned by panky12345. Had also sent it to the regional sales head for north. No reply from any of them. I guess for Honda customer really is king: King of Fools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Email
Hi Ms. Anita,

I'm writing to you to apprise you of the way I as a Honda customer have been treated.

I had purchased a Honda City ZX, bearing registration number HRXXXX-XXXX, from Courtesy Honda, Okhla, New Delhi, in September 2007. The car is covered under extended warranty till September 2011.

The car has been regularly serviced as per the service schedule at authorized Honda service centers.

I relocated to Chennai in June 2010. I gave my car to Capital Honda, Chennai for 35,000 km service and some body work in July 2010. They kept the car for about 10 days, and when I got the car back, some of the jobs I'd requested (like interior cleaning) had not been completed. The service advisor had advised some facing to be done on the front disc brakes, and when I took a test drive at the time of taking delivery, there was a lot of noise coming from the front left side of the car when the brakes were applied. They did some work on the brakes for about 2 hours, and returned the car to me saying there would be no more noise. But the noise persisted, and I had to go back again the next day for the issue to be resolved. Even after 2 visits, the noise persisted for some more days, before going away.

In addition, when I took the delivery of the car, the touchscreen on my music system was not functioning. When I pointed it out to the service advisor, he had the audacity to tell me that the stereo in my car was not a touch screen model! The long and short of it is that when I gave my car to Capital Honda, my stereo was working fine, and when I got it back, it was not. The dealership simply washed its hands off saying it was an aftermarket fitment, and they could do nothing. I had to spend from my own pocket to get the problem rectified.

Another issue which I'd mentioned while giving the car was that the remote locking (Cobra) system was not working. When I came to take delivery of the car 10 days later, it was still not working. The service advisor once again tried to wash his hands off saying it was an aftermarket fitment, and they did not deal with these systems, and I'd have to go to Cobra service center myself. This, when the system was installed as an OEM fitting when I had bought the car! Only when I had to resort to raising my voice, did they agree to look into it. I had to go back again (on a working day, taking leave from my office) when the Cobra person was available to look into my problem.

A week after taking the car back from Capital Honda, I started facing some starting problems with my car. I took the car back to the service center immediately (after getting it push-started) and the service advisor there said that the battery plates were completely dry! This, when barely a week back I'd got my car back after 10 days post the supposed service. He said that the battery was weak, and needed to be changed.

So the very next day, I got the battery changed. But the problem persisted even after that. When I took the car back to them, they looked into the problem seriously this time, and found out that there was a problem with the starter motor. First the service advisor said that the motor would be covered under warranty, but 5 minutes later changed his stance saying it was a wear and tear part and would not be covered! The warranty booklet doesn't mention the starter motor is not covered under warranty.

On further arguing with the service manager, he decided to write to Honda and find out if the motor was covered under warranty. Honda got back to him saying that they would need to inspect the starter motor to ascertain whether there was a manufacturing defect or not. Honda claimed that over-cranking the engine can lead to damage to the starter motor. Does Honda really think that a customer would purposely overcrank his engine to claim warranty???????

The service manager proposed that I should get the starter motor replaced at my cost for now, then they would send the motor to Honda Quality Control Department, which would then inspect and come back with their analysis in about a month. If they decide that there is a manufacturing defect, the money would be refunded to me. This, to me was a ridiculous and totally unacceptable solution. I'm a customer who has paid 8 lacs for a car, and for a Rs.6000 component which is covered under warranty (for which I paid extra) I'm being made to run around and told stories.

Having no other option, yesterday I went to Capital Honda and got my starter motor replaced, and have given them a post dated cheque for Rs. 5800. They will send the original motor to Honda and await their decision.

As a customer, I'm very dissatisfied and unhappy with the way I have been treated, both by Honda and the dealership. Amongst the three parties involved (Honda, dealership and customer), I can see that the customer is being given the least priority.

Please note that I'm a member of the biggest automotive community in India, Team-BHP, and this very case is getting a lot of play there. You may want to check it out here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-warranty.html

Being such a respected member of the automotive community, I'm sure customer-focus is your primary concern. I understand that this particular case may be outside your ambit, but I'm sure you can help me in some way. In addition, you need to understand how the customer is being treated once he buys a Honda car. Having been involved in sales of a very premium product myself, I understand how important customer loyalty and retention is, and I can tell you now, that unless something changes drastically, I do not plan to purchase a Honda car again. I'll also make sure that how I have been treated is made as public as possible. My wife works as a senior manager with Hindustan Times in Delhi, and I'm sure you understand that in today's world, getting people to listen to your story is not very tough.

I hope this issue will be resolved to my satisfaction.

Thanks and Regards,
Vineet Manghani
+91-9840XXXXXX
Old 27th August 2010, 16:19   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I can understand the reason for the problem. When cold the compression is low so the starter needed less power to turn over. So must be that alone. I hope they fix it under warranty.

If you had gone outside then the mechanic would have taken rewound the starter or whatever. Only now some companies (I hear Ford is one) are thinking about using 'daughter parts' and not replacing the whole thing. Replacement is common in the west since skilled labour is very expensive.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 15:03   #40
BHPian

Default Reaffirmation!

Hi All,

An update. A couple of days back I got a call from the service manager of Capital Honda, saying that he will be sending my cheque back.

I asked him if the quality department had decided that there was a manufacturing defect in the starter motor. He said they hadn't decided yet, but he'd got a call from customer care, asking that the cheque be returned immediately.

Got the cheque yesterday.

Finally, something going right at Honda.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Regards,
Vineet
Old 7th September 2010, 15:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

I guess better sense prevailed on their Customer Care on the impending PR disaster had it been refused.

Now you know how to get things done in Honda
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 16:01   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank God we are not (yet) looking at Hondskoda !
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 16:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

you should have pushed for covering the cost of the battery which was unnecessarily replaced due to wrong diagnosis..

anyway returning the cheque was the least Honda could do. again the dealers apprehension to take such a cheque in the first place points to possibly a bad history of warranty reimbursements to the dealer from Honda
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 21:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
you should have pushed for covering the cost of the battery which was unnecessarily replaced due to wrong diagnosis..
+1 to that. A 3 year old battery cell going dry is purely because lack of maintenance, that too after promptly billing for 'electrical checkup' during each service.
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 13:47   #45
BHPian

Default Re: NHC starter problem: HONDA refusing to honour warranty! UPDATE: Warranty honored.

An update to this thread. The same problem has recurred with my car after about a year's usage.

The car starts fine when cold but refuses to crank when being run for some time.

Evidently the starter motor has gone bad again. But it's quite obvious that the starter motor is not the source of the problem. There is some other issue in the vehicle which is making the starter motor go weak and give up.

I haven't been using this car since a couple of weeks because of this issue, and couldn't take it to the workshop either because of a busy schedule.

I've tried calling the service manager twice on his cellphone since the morning, but haven't been able to reach him. Planning to take the car to the workshop on Saturday, and if they can't figure something out, will go and try out Ignite Garage in Chennai.
vineetmanghani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote