Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th December 2011, 14:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: NHC starter problem: HONDA refusing to honour warranty! UPDATE: Warranty honored.

Just out of curiosity : Are you the only person driving the car or is this car chauffeur driven?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 17:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: NHC starter problem: HONDA refusing to honour warranty! UPDATE: Warranty honored.

what happened to your car starting issue ? Did it resolve ? I am also facing the same issue with my santro, got the self changed, battery changed four times in 7 years, but still the problem keeps coming back.

Details on my thread here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hen-hot-6.html (Santro doesnt start when HOT)
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 12:17   #48
BHPian

So what happened is that Capital Honda people again started harping on the battery, saying "Starting problem saar? Battery issue..!", without so much as taking a look at the car. When I insisted they check out the car thoroughly, they took it into the workshop.

After 2 hours of waiting in the lounge, I strolled into the workshop, only to see my car just standing there. I raised a stink, and the service manager himself came to inspect the car.

They took out the battery (about 16 months old) and said that there is some puffing at the sides, and that the battery was at the end of life!! I asked the service manager how much is the typical life of a battery, and he said "Saar 2 years MAXXXX!!"/ I was aghast at the level of incompetence to say the least. Here Amaron is giving me 5 years warranty on the battery and he has the gall to tell me that the battery is good only for 2 years.

Anyway, they asked me to get the battery inspected (some "bench test" crap) from the dealer I bought it. They put in a spare battery in the meanwhile.

I gave the battery to the dealer, who checked it himself as well as sent it to the company for checking. Of course, the battery was fine.

Now comes the interesting part. When the guy at the battery dealer was putting back the original battery in my car, he said that the terminals that connect to the battery were lose. I mean those round metallic things attached to the wires which go into the positive and negative terminals of the battery. So he took some spare wire, stripped it, and put it in between to make a tight connection.

The car has been performing much better since then. What I think is that when those round thingies would get hot with running, they would undergo thermal expansion, thereby losing contact with the battery terminals. When the car would cool down, they would contract again and the car would start.

This is my best guess so far. Will get those thingies changed on the next service, and hopefully that should take care of the issue.

What is appalling is that Honda, in almost 1.5 years couldn't diagnose and correct an issue which was diagnosed by a roadside battery guy in 5 minutes. On top of that, they had me change the battery and starter motor as well, only for the issue to recur.

I'm going to go to some independent (Ignite?) garage for my 50k service coming up.

So Amit, just check out those metallic contacts which connect to the battery and see if they are lose. That might be your issue too.

Cheers,
Vineet
vineetmanghani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 00:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
I was aghast at the level of incompetence to say the least. Here Amaron is giving me 5 years warranty on the battery and he has the gall to tell me that the battery is good only for 2 years.

What is appalling is that Honda, in almost 1.5 years couldn't diagnose and correct an issue which was diagnosed by a roadside battery guy in 5 minutes. On top of that, they had me change the battery and starter motor as well, only for the issue to recur.
I guess all honda dealers are the same! after suffering at the hands of both prestige honda and harmony honda not being able to provide any solutions to small issues and cheating through their face, ive also started taking my Honda City to an independent garage (wish my MASS would let me take my city to them!)
I am amazed to see how Honda is still not putting any effort to correcting their after sales experience.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote