Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th August 2010, 12:04   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Need advice. Engine switch-off button.

Hi,
I need to install a n engine switch-off button. I have the central locking in my car and every time when I switch-off the car in the signal it will un-lock all all the doors. It is really annoying. I'm planning to install a kind of switch-off button so that I can use it in signals.

Experts..Please advice.

Mods: I didn't get any similar thread. Please move it to appropriate thread.

Girish

Last edited by girishbhat : 13th August 2010 at 12:11.
girishbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Why bother with an additional engine kill switch?

Get your central locking system rewired to unlock the doors when auxiliaries are switched off (i.e. when you pull out the ignition key). The system is currently wired with the "ignition on" circuit to lock/unlock doors - the circuit has to go through the auxiliaries wiring, so the doors will remain locked when ignition is switched off.

Which c/lock system is this, and what car?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:18   #3

@SS-Traveller:
Thanks for the quick replay.
I'm using Maruti Alto. It has the Maruti Nippon c/locking system.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishbhat View Post
Hi,
I need to install a n engine switch-off button. I have the central locking in my car and every time when I switch-off the car in the signal it will un-lock all all the doors. It is really annoying. I'm planning to install a kind of switch-off button so that I can use it in signals.

Experts..Please advice.

Girish
Quote:
Hi,

Experts..Please advice.

Girish
What you are trying is dangerous. The doors unlock after the ignition is switched off, and it is designed this way for a reason.

I suggest you to bear the annoying thing for your own good and safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Why bother with an additional engine kill switch?

Get your central locking system rewired to unlock the doors when auxiliaries are switched off (i.e. when you pull out the ignition key). The system is currently wired with the "ignition on" circuit to lock/unlock doors - the circuit has to go through the auxiliaries wiring, so the doors will remain locked when ignition is switched off.

Which c/lock system is this, and what car?
It's kind of what you explained. The locking system is connected with the ignition and ofcourse runs on battery. There is a motor which is placed on one of the doors which is activated everytime the ignition is changed. This can be changed but is complex and unsafe.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 12:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm using Maruti Alto. It has the Maruti Nippon c/locking system.
This appears to be a dealer fitted system. Wrongly wired. Get someone competent to change around the connections to solve your problem. The doors should lock when you start the car and move off (increase in line voltage as the car revs), and should unlock when pulling the key out of the switch (and not when switching off the engine only).

You can get the details of how the system should work ideally, from the Nippon instruction manual too.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
This appears to be a dealer fitted system. Wrongly wired. Get someone competent to change around the connections to solve your problem. The doors should lock when you start the car and move off (increase in line voltage as the car revs), and should unlock when pulling the key out of the switch (and not when switching off the engine only).

You can get the details of how the system should work ideally, from the Nippon instruction manual too.
I disagree. The door unlocks once you switch off the ignition, not after you pull out the keys. This is common between all auto lockers be it nippon or autocop.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:34   #7
BHPian

This is how I've seen and experienced central locking systems work over 10 years and across 6 different cars from different manufacturers (Maruti, Honda, Toyota and Hyundai).

The doors lock after 5 or so seconds of turning the key to the "Ignition-On" position, irrespective of the car moving or not.

The doors unlock as soon as the engine is killed. Then one has to turn the key back to the "Ignition-On" position to re-lock the doors.

Couldn't have been wrong wiring on all the cars could it? I'm talking both aftermarket fitted systems as well as dealer fitted systems.
vineetmanghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 13:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Experts..Please advice.

Girish
+1 same issue, but i wasnt bothered until i read this thread, however i wanted to stop the sensors very badly.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...p-users-5.html (Some tips for autocop users)

So, I finally called autocop and they said will be coming to my place tomorrow to check wiring and fix the sensor sensitivity
johnruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 15:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
What is it exactly that is bothering you ?

When stopping at a signal, when you switch off, doors are unlocked automatically. If you feel unsafe with the open doors, you could simply lock the driver side door manually. Since the car has central locking, all other doors would also get locked - problem solved.

Or turn the key back to ON position, the doors would lock after a few seconds (if it is so programmed in your security system). Security systems can be programmed to lock the doors after a delay of few seconds or after the car starts moving.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 15:53   #10

Quote:
What is it exactly that is bothering you ?
Every time I switch of the engine, it makes a "dhad" sound and un-locks all the doors, and locks it after few seconds with the same sound. And it is a security risk also. I have heard from the people who lost their mobile Phones in the signal while the windows were open. And what if someone opens the door and take out the bag with valuables like laptop? Y'll be in the signal and not be in a position to leave the car and chase them also.
In the traffic signal, it is a bit risky to keep the door open for few seconds also. Especially when you are alone with some valuables in the bag.
Old 13th August 2010, 16:41   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
What you are trying is dangerous.
...complex and unsafe.
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
I disagree. The door unlocks once you switch off the ignition, not after you pull out the keys. This is common between all auto lockers be it nippon or autocop.
Not so. Check the Maruti OE factory fitted C/lock systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
The doors unlock as soon as the engine is killed. Then one has to turn the key back to the "Ignition-On" position to re-lock the doors.

Couldn't have been wrong wiring on all the cars could it? I'm talking both aftermarket fitted systems as well as dealer fitted systems.
But not factory-fitted systems. Those open the doors only when the key is pulled out!
Quote:
...it is a security risk also.
In the traffic signal, it is a bit risky to keep the door open for few seconds also.
Totally agree with you. I had the same issue with my Accent (dealer-fitted Nippon system), solved as suggested earlier.
Old 13th August 2010, 16:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Every time I switch of the engine, it makes a "dhad" sound and un-locks all the doors, and locks it after few seconds with the same sound. And it is a security risk also. I have heard from the people who lost their mobile Phones in the signal while the windows were open. And what if someone opens the door and take out the bag with valuables like laptop? Y'll be in the signal and not be in a position to leave the car and chase them also.
In the traffic signal, it is a bit risky to keep the door open for few seconds also. Especially when you are alone with some valuables in the bag.
so, when you switch off the engine at a signal.. immediately switch the ignition ON, now your doors will lock up again & no one can open the doors, isnt it ?

I guess its not a huge problem to keep the ignition on for a few mins in a traffic signal. doesnt consume any fuel !
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 18:10   #13

Quote:
so, when you switch off the engine at a signal.. immediately switch the ignition ON
If you switch on immediate also it will take few seconds [20 or so..] to lock all the doors.

Quote:
I guess its not a huge problem to keep the ignition on for a few mins in a traffic signal. doesnt consume any fuel !
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ed-signal.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/3335447.cms

My few cents towards pollution control..

Last edited by girishbhat : 13th August 2010 at 18:16.
Old 13th August 2010, 21:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
If you switch on immediate also it will take few seconds [20 or so..] to lock all the doors.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ed-signal.html

Cars idling at crossings burn Rs 1,000cr a year in Delhi - Pollution - Environment - Home - The Times of India

My few cents towards pollution control..
Please upload the pic of your NIPPON remote. This feature can be switched off for added security at secluded parking spots/ traffic signals. Try to locate a Valet switch (push button type, somewhere along the A-pillar). Your central locking system must have one. I have switched off the automatic unlock in my Alto as well.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 06:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Why?
Well there are lots of answers for this. It is dangerous in case of an accident and the electricals fail.

Wonder why all 4 power windows is not suggested? Why would they design it the way it is? why wouldn't they manufacturers allow the doors to be locked throughtout? I suppose before bringing a product they do a lot of research and tests.

Anyways, there can be a long debate on this. I just gave an advice, it is up to people to take it or not.