Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 11:28   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,475 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I do not understand why Suzuki did not provide protection plate for the sump.
In this picture the engine cover plate leaves sump exposed. Penny pinching from Maruti leaves big hole in pocket of customers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...icture-008.jpg
There is no metal guards under the swift all are plastic and that wont really help.

In this case Drain plug is leaking, fix a new nut with crush washer some 60 bucks.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 18:24   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
In this case Drain plug is leaking, fix a new nut with crush washer some 60 bucks.
Spot on! The drain plug's rubber washer was not even there when the M.A.S.S. guys took it out. Got a new plug for 65 bucks (saw that this one had the rubber washer intact) and they added some 150-200 ml of oil more, paid 100 bucks in total.

All set for my trip to Udaipur! (weather permitting)

What I did realize just now was that even before thinking of taking my car to the mechanic what team-bhp made me do was click pics, upload them, get bhpian's opinions first and then decide what to do. Well, that's team-bhp!

Thanks all!!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 18:00   #18
BHPian
 
aks2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kochi/Toronto
Posts: 62
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Hi,

I recently checked the underside of my Swift VDi and think this to be an oil leak. However, there are no oil drops on the garage floor. Is this something serious? What could possibly be wrong? Do I need to check with Maruti service? Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine oil leak?-img10029.jpg  

aks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 20:49   #19
BHPian
 
EFF-EIGHT-BEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Patiala
Posts: 181
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

It looks like a gear oil leak, was the gear oil changed recently? If yes then it could be splinted oil during pouring its normal. But if the oil was not changed recently then trace the source, it could be either from gear oil drain plug or from joints where drive shaft joins the gearbox.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 21:39   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,475 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Yup this one is gear oil, check where the oil is coming from, drain plug or otherwise.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:36   #21
BHPian
 
aks2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kochi/Toronto
Posts: 62
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup this one is gear oil, check where the oil is coming from, drain plug or otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
It looks like a gear oil leak, was the gear oil changed recently? If yes then it could be splinted oil during pouring its normal. But if the oil was not changed recently then trace the source, it could be either from gear oil drain plug or from joints where drive shaft joins the gearbox.

My car has done only 8000 kms and the first service was done at 5000 kms. I don't think they change gear oil at first service. May be they topped it up and overfilled in the process. Anyway, I'll take the car to M.A.S.S. this weekend and ask them to check. Thanks for your response. Will keep you posted.
aks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 21:01   #22
BHPian
 
aks2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kochi/Toronto
Posts: 62
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
My car has done only 8000 kms and the first service was done at 5000 kms. I don't think they change gear oil at first service. May be they topped it up and overfilled in the process. Anyway, I'll take the car to M.A.S.S. this weekend and ask them to check. Thanks for your response. Will keep you posted.

Took my car to the service center yesterday and they found it to be a leaking oil seal in the differential. Didn't charge me labour costs but had to pay Rs.51/- for the oil seal.
aks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 19:37   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

My Swift Petrol/CNG is leaking oil. Seems to be very small amounts. My last oil change was 8500 kms back and no topping up was done after that. I noticed this leak yesterday - I checked the dipstick and the oil level seems to be really low - I just see specks at the bottom of the dipstick.

I am only going to be able to take it to a mechanic on Saturday & I have to go to work tomorrow (25 kms up in the morning & 25 kms back in the evening).

So my questions are
- Can I take the car to work tomorrow - I'll probably be able to top up oil in the afternoon if needed. How do I figure out how low is my oil currently - i.e. is it low enough that I shouldn't drive it till I do a top up?

- My last service was done at Carnation (8500 kms back) - I asked them what oil they use so that I can top with the same - they couldn't find it in my records - but they said they normally use Mobil - Super 10W-30 SJ. So by chance if their info is wrong - would it be if I topped with "Mobil - Super 10W-30 SJ" and the actual oil originally there in the car was something else?

- Also I if I don't find exact same oil in a shop - can I just ask for any 10W-30 or any 10W-30 SJ and top it up?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 21:42   #24
BHPian
 
msaudf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 266
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I noticed this leak yesterday - I checked the dipstick and the oil level seems to be really low - I just see specks at the bottom of the dipstick.

So my questions are
- Can I take the car to work tomorrow - I'll probably be able to top up oil in the afternoon if needed. How do I figure out how low is my oil currently - i.e. is it low enough that I shouldn't drive it till I do a top up?

- My last service was done at Carnation (8500 kms back) they said they normally use Mobil - Super 10W-30 SJ. So by chance if their info is wrong - would it be if I topped with "Mobil - Super 10W-30 SJ" and the actual oil originally there in the car was something else?

- Also I if I don't find exact same oil in a shop - can I just ask for any 10W-30 or any 10W-30 SJ and top it up?
Hi,
The dipstick is your only tell tale of how much oil remains in your engine, there is no other easy way to find out how much oil remains.
DO NOT RUN YOUR CAR ENGINE ON LOW OIL LEVEL.
Was the oil level checked in the correct procedure?
cold engine(stationary engine for more than 20 mins).
Did you wipe off the oil when you pulled out the dipstick and reinsert it and then check the level?
if you followed the correct procedure and only saw specks of oil at the tip of your dipstick, it means you have less than 1ltr oil in the engine oil sump.
My suggestion is buy normal 10W-30W (any decent brand) oil from your local fuel station and top up 500ml or 1ltr before you set off to work tomorrow.
Please remember DO NOT to pour cold oil into a warm engine.
The oil level may not immediately increase after top up so wait for about 10 mins and check the level.
Cheers
Saud.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 20:26   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default New Swift Vdi ownership report- Engine oil leakage

Hi Team,

I am a first time car owner and bought New Swift Vdi in 2012 after going through lots of reviews, however I am quite disappointed for the last 6 months as I see some engine oil leakage.
I gave my car for regular servicing and brought this issue at 4th paid servicing when my car has its meter reading as 19800 and before its 2nd anniversary. The engineer said they have removed the Oil sump and fixed it back with some glue (Gum), they did not charge me anything on this and informed me as its under Warranty.

After doing another 5000 KMs in 5 months, and having seen the leakage again took the car to service station. This time they replaced the Engine oil Seal and told me to pay Rs.200 for the oil seal. They did not charge for Labour as it is under warranty. After 5 days, I still see the leakage and now they are telling me that there is a problem with Engine oil Pump which needs to be replaced however they are not providing this under warranty and asking me to pay Rs.6000.

Can anyone please guide me if Maruti New Swift VDI with extended warranty is not valid on the Engine oil pump, though this issue was notified when my car was well under 2 year and below 20,000 KMS.
prasad029 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 23:03   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default Re: New Swift Vdi ownership report- Engine oil leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad029 View Post
Hi Team,

I am a first time car owner and bought New Swift Vdi in 2012 after going through lots of reviews, however I am quite disappointed for the last 6 months as I see some engine oil leakage.
I gave my car for regular servicing and brought this issue at 4th paid servicing when my car has its meter reading as 19800 and before its 2nd anniversary. The engineer said they have removed the Oil sump and fixed it back with some glue (Gum), they did not charge me anything on this and informed me as its under Warranty.

After doing another 5000 KMs in 5 months, and having seen the leakage again took the car to service station. This time they replaced the Engine oil Seal and told me to pay Rs.200 for the oil seal. They did not charge for Labour as it is under warranty. After 5 days, I still see the leakage and now they are telling me that there is a problem with Engine oil Pump which needs to be replaced however they are not providing this under warranty and asking me to pay Rs.6000.

Can anyone please guide me if Maruti New Swift VDI with extended warranty is not valid on the Engine oil pump, though this issue was notified when my car was well under 2 year and below 20,000 KMS.
Firstly, what does oil sump leak have to do with oil pump. The Oil Pump btw is inside the timing chain enclosure, why would they want to change that a sump leak, please raise this very important question with them.

Secondly, oil pump comes under warranty, it's not a 'user abuse hence conked' kind of item.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 00:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,343 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad029 View Post
I still see the leakage and now they are telling me that there is a problem with Engine oil Pump which needs to be replaced however they are not providing this under warranty and asking me to pay Rs.6000.
Any pictures of the area of leakage on the engine block?

There is a fine crack in the block it the gaskets/seals aren't installed correctly.

Nothing to do with the oil pump.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 19:18   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Thank you all,

I got a call from the SE saying they have replaced the Oil Pump and informed that there are 50-50 chances of getting the warranty and I have go and check on that.

Below is the pic i have taken last week at the service station before changing Oil Seal and this is after applying the Glue, where oil drips slowly.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine oil leak?-oil-leakage.jpg  

prasad029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 12:46   #29
BHPian
 
msaudf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 266
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad029 View Post
Thank you all,

I got a call from the SE saying they have replaced the Oil Pump and informed that there are 50-50 chances of getting the warranty and I have go and check on that.

Below is the pic i have taken last week at the service station before changing Oil Seal and this is after applying the Glue, where oil drips slowly.
The logical and proper thing to do to stop the oil leak from the sump was to change the sump gasket and have the bolts torqued correctly. You should not have allowed them to get away with just applying some glue on the leaking side and hand the car back to you. The engine gets hot and the glue will degrade with the heat and the external elements as it is exposed, and the leak will reappear like it has in your case.

Now your SA is claiming a bad oil pump which like @humyum mentioned is a part that is covered under warranty and like he mentioned has nothing to do with an oil leak in the sump. Please confirm with the SA if he's replacing the SUMP or the PUMP, maybe he told you that over the phone and you could have heard him wrong. And in either case Pump or Sump, it should be covered by warranty because if it was the pump it could only be a manufacturing defect and nothing to do with abuse from you, and if it was the Sump its clearly visible that no external damages are present so again, that should be covered by warranty.

Don't give up and be stern on your points if the SA is not validating the replacements, because in most cases they experiment and learn at the expense of the customers. If they want to learn they've gotta pay, NOT YOU!
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 13:47   #30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Maruti Swift - Oil Leak!

Hi Friends,

My car is back after oil pump change.Though quite happy after driving 50 Kms in the city and could see no oil leakage for now, however very disappointed that the parts provided by Maruti was of degraded quality.
They have charged me Rs. 629 for Oil Pump Gasket (549.34 + Taxes) and told me that they are going to send the oil pump to Maruti for a check and see if I will be getting any warranty. And as a Goodwill gesture, they did not charge me on that for now. The supervisor says they will call me if I have to pay any extra amount in 3 months.
Below is pic of the part that has been replaced. He explained me that there is small leakage from the place where he has pointed his pen.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine oil leak?-oil-pump.jpg  

Engine oil leak?-bill-details.jpg  

prasad029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Amaze: Oil leak, engine seized! A bad experience with Honda service parimal_g Technical Stuff 165 28th March 2017 22:45
Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3 S5157 Technical Stuff 61 6th December 2015 17:55
Power Steering oil Leak dev Technical Stuff 10 21st September 2015 20:42
Pulsar 220 engine oil leak ravi_23 Motorbikes 6 15th October 2013 13:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks