Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th December 2016, 21:12   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Engine oil leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG
I have a 2004 Honda City, which has done about 1.08 Lakh KMS.
Off late I have been noticing very little oil falling from the car when parked for more than a day.

Took it to a FNG, and he said the seal needs to replaced. He said he has to open the gear box for the same. The oil leak is from the engine I think.
Why do you think it's from engine? Didn't you ask the FNG to show the leak traces?
Also the oil falling is a bit cleaner (Gear oil) or dark (Engine Oil) in colour?
IndigoXLGrandDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 21:41   #47
BHPian

Went to main MASS (Abharan Motors, Udupi) today to check if there was a coolant leak in my Alto, as I found the coolant empty in the morning. The mechanic showed me the underbody to say that there is no coolant leak anywhere. What I saw was shocking. No coolant leak, but this part was drenched in oil.

Engine oil leak?-20161211_155614.jpg

Engine oil leak?-20161211_155639.jpg

Engine oil leak?-20161211_155653.jpg

On enquiry, the SA said that they would have to open up the engine - could be oil leaking from the tappet. (? ? ?)

New problems have been arising since I took my car for servicing in August at a MASS after many years. Now I'm not sure if I should let them fix it or take it to a smaller service centre.
samaspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 21:50   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Went to main MASS (Abharan Motors, Udupi) today to check if there was a coolant leak in my Alto, as I found the coolant empty in the morning. The mechanic showed me the underbody to say that there is no coolant leak anywhere. What I saw was shocking. No coolant leak, but this part was drenched in oil.
Seems like a case of Engine gulping the coolant.

First get the engine oil completely drained to see Coolant traces. If the coolant hasn't leaked, its got consumed .

You need to start checking the entire cooling system - Water Pump, Radiator hoses, Head Gaskets to ascertain what has failed that resulted in coolant heading where its not supposed to.

I would prefer you to stay with the car when this is being done.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote