Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 22:03   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Exclamation Engine oil leak?

Today in the office parking I noticed that there was some kind of leakage from the engine. The liquid patch on the ground that I noticed after 10 hours of parking the car was about 10-12 times of what the patch size is in the first picture.

Liquid Patch created after 3-4 mins of parking the car
Engine oil leak?-picture-007.jpg

The place where the leakage is happening from
Engine oil leak?-picture-002.jpg

Distant view of the oily/greasy part of the black box where the leakage is happening
Engine oil leak?-picture-008.jpg

Pic from the top of the engine in case anybody notices anything different, I didn't
Engine oil leak?-picture-003.jpg

Another Pic from the top of the engine (a little close up though)
Engine oil leak?-picture-004.jpg

See the liquid in the middle of the pic. Looks like water + oil or just water or just oil, don't really know!
Engine oil leak?-picture-012.jpg

I have a long road trip planned from Delhi to Udaipur this weekend and not sure if I should cancel that and get the car checked instead or is this some kind of usual leakage. I'm assuming no leakage, of any kind, would be normal.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 22:11   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,592
Thanked: 920 Times
Default

It's not normal - get the car checked soon before undertaking any long drive. Not fully sure, but looks like the leak is form the plug of the sump ?

Did you get the car serviced/oil changed recently ?

Has the oil level gone down after the leak ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 18th August 2010 at 22:13.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 22:20   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Did you get the car serviced/oil changed recently ?

Has the oil level gone down after the leak ?
Oil Change was around 2 months back at 1000 kms. The car odo reads 4800 kms as of today.

I didn't check the oil level anytime since the purchase which was 2.5 months back. However, I did check the oil level today and it was exactly in the middle of the upper-lower spec limit.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 22:21   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Looks like a leak from the Oil drain plug washer.With this kind of leak,your oil level will show negligible drop and may not even show up on the dipstick.Suggest you drain the oil into a clean pan,refit the plug with a new washer and then fill back the oil
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 22:29   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Looks like a leak from the Oil drain plug washer.With this kind of leak,your oil level will show negligible drop and may not even show up on the dipstick.Suggest you drain the oil into a clean pan,refit the plug with a new washer and then fill back the oil
I think what you are saying makes sense. Though I don't think I'd be able to do it myself, would have to take it to the local mechanic for getting this fixed.

Has anybody faced a similar issue before? I mean this has got to be a very sensitive spot and I don't know what could make this washer go bad.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 03:58   #6
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I think what you are saying makes sense. Though I don't think I'd be able to do it myself, would have to take it to the local mechanic for getting this fixed.

Has anybody faced a similar issue before? I mean this has got to be a very sensitive spot and I don't know what could make this washer go bad.
Certainly some oil washer is leaking, it would be better to get it attended at any local trust-able mechanic, if not A.S.S.

Do not ignore this before going on a long drive, like little drops make ocean, small Leak can hurt your engine if level goes down below recommended Engine oil level.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:00   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

I'd be taking it to the local mechanic only and not M.A.S.S. however was thinking what all is actually covered in the warranty. I mean a faulty plug or washer like this should be covered within warranty only. Does M.A.S.S. actually repair issues like these free of cost?
I spoke to my dad over the phone this morning and he advised that I better take it to the local mechanic (one of the guys we know is trust worthy) instead of taking it to M.A.S.S. as they tend to ensure that you go back with a hefty bill in hand.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:06   #8
BHPian
 
Aarman_008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'd be taking it to the local mechanic only and not M.A.S.S. however was thinking what all is actually covered in the warranty. I mean a faulty plug or washer like this should be covered within warranty only. Does M.A.S.S. actually repair issues like these free of cost?
I spoke to my dad over the phone this morning and he advised that I better take it to the local mechanic (one of the guys we know is trust worthy) instead of taking it to M.A.S.S. as they tend to ensure that you go back with a hefty bill in hand.
I don't think so. The problem is serious and I suggest you take it to Maruti A.S.S. to get it checked. Your ODO reads only 4800 kms and Maruti should ideally not be charging you for this. They would not have replaced the oil drain pump washer properly while changing it two months back.

Last edited by Aarman_008 : 19th August 2010 at 09:07.
Aarman_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:19   #9
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 412
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'd be taking it to the local mechanic only and not M.A.S.S. however was thinking what all is actually covered in the warranty. I mean a faulty plug or washer like this should be covered within warranty only. Does M.A.S.S. actually repair issues like these free of cost?
I spoke to my dad over the phone this morning and he advised that I better take it to the local mechanic (one of the guys we know is trust worthy) instead of taking it to M.A.S.S. as they tend to ensure that you go back with a hefty bill in hand.
Get it checked from A.S.S. They won't take any money. Convince them that this never happened due to human error.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:39   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarman_008 View Post
I don't think so. The problem is serious and I suggest you take it to Maruti A.S.S. to get it checked. Your ODO reads only 4800 kms and Maruti should ideally not be charging you for this. They would not have replaced the oil drain pump washer properly while changing it two months back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Get it checked from A.S.S. They won't take any money. Convince them that this never happened due to human error.
Well I took the delivery of the car from Vipul Motors and since my office is in Gurgaon too it would actually be convenient for me to take it to them. Need to speak to dad again, you guys have got me confused here.
Another problem is getting permission from my boss to leave office early today.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:40   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

That black box is your oil sump! Take it to the MASS and tell them this leak is happening after they changed oil during service. Let them drain the oil, replace a new washer and refill with fresh oil in your presence. They should do it free, but don't mind paying if they insist. This should be fixed asap.

BTW did the sump hit anything on the road, by any chance?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:46   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 541
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

BTW did the sump hit anything on the road, by any chance?
Exactly my thoughts looking at the pic. Possibly an underbody hit on bad road / hump or some stone flying off from the tyre and hitting a weak spot.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 09:52   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,407
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That black box is your oil sump! Take it to the MASS and tell them this leak is happening after they changed oil during service. Let them drain the oil, replace a new washer and refill with fresh oil in your presence. They should do it free, but don't mind paying if they insist. This should be fixed asap.
?
The service was actually done at another M.A.S.S. in okhla but I guess the logic given by you could work. It might not even be necessary as dad knows the guy who owns the service station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
BTW did the sump hit anything on the road, by any chance?
Now that you mention this, while driving from Green Park to AIIMS, about 2-3 weeks back, there was a muddy patch where the path below the tyres of the vehicles was sunk in and the road in the middle was risen. The lower body of the car did brush against the risen path. This could be due to that.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 10:29   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Now that you mention this, while driving from Green Park to AIIMS, about 2-3 weeks back, there was a muddy patch where the path below the tyres of the vehicles was sunk in and the road in the middle was risen. The lower body of the car did brush against the risen path. This could be due to that.
That sounds bad. Inform the MASS about this and let them do a complete inspection. I don't think the damage will be to the washer alone. If anything serious, be prepared to go for an insurance claim. But attend to this pronto!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 11:02   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 384 Times
Default

This looks bad do not waste time going to local mechanic.
Also at the M.A.S.S just say that oil is leaking from sump and let them diagnose and get back to you with estimate and reason.

I do not understand why Suzuki did not provide protection plate for the sump.
In this picture the engine cover plate leaves sump exposed. Penny pinching from Maruti leaves big hole in pocket of customers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...icture-008.jpg
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Amaze: Oil leak, engine seized! A bad experience with Honda service parimal_g Technical Stuff 165 28th March 2017 22:45
Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3 S5157 Technical Stuff 61 6th December 2015 17:55
Power Steering oil Leak dev Technical Stuff 10 21st September 2015 20:42
Pulsar 220 engine oil leak ravi_23 Motorbikes 6 15th October 2013 13:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks