Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd August 2010, 23:44   #1
BHPian

Default Brand new Fiesta speedo error

Guys
Today in the evening, I observed something strange in my month old Fiesta.
The speedometer has a huge zero error. That is to say, the new zero is 20kmph.
Even after shutting the car totally the needle just sits at 20kmph and on moving it starts from 20.
I did not expect this from a brand new car. What do I do?
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 01:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

^^ There must be some problem with the spring mechanism that is supposed to bring the needle back to zero. Nothing to worry about, Since your car is brand new any Ford workshop will change it for free under warranty.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 07:30   #3
BHPian

Yes its ideal to get a replacement under warranty, Ford speedo's are supplied by Visteon, their products are known to have impeccable product reliability. In most cases the complete dial cluster is replaced not just the speedo.

Dart to your dealer ASAP and report the problem.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 08:19   #4
BHPian

Now, the problem is that the dealership from whom I got my car is an hour's drive from my place. There is one more dealer who is equally nearer to my place. Would they be kind enough to work diligently and without a fuss just because I did not buy the car from them? What would you have done?
Actually, this dealership was not interested in selling me the Sports version so I stopped dealing with them.
Old 24th August 2010, 09:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Red face

Thats strange problem you have there abhi, needle staying at 20 Kmph. Have you tried disconnecting the battery and see whether the needel comes back to the original position. Bear in mind when you do so, the trip meter and audio lock would also get reset, so keep things handy.

If nothing happens, best place to get it rectified would be Ford workshop. I would suggest to take it to the nearest workshop, if they are not able to do so for whatever personal reason, do get it recitifed by other dealer and report the matter to Ford Customer care.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 10:10   #6
BHPian

I just read on another thread "Odometer Reset - 5009 to 33 kms" that replacing the entire cluster assembly might cause the odo (not the trip) to reset to zero.

You might want to check this out with Ford and avoid any unnecessary complications later on.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 10:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and see whether the needel comes back to the original position.
Battery can't do anything here as the speedo is a mechanical part. As pointed out by anshuman earlier, the spring is probably defective. Changing the cluster is the preferred solution. The cluster on the S is again different from the other models, so you might have to wait as I am sure a rarely moving part like this won't be in stock.

abhi: yes, you can take it to any service center even if you did not buy the car from them. That's what even I do. They get paid by Ford for warranty repairs so they will be more than happy to take your business.

Last edited by Gilead : 24th August 2010 at 10:21.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 15:35   #8
BHPian

Guys!
Surprise! Today, in the morning, the needle was at 10kmph instead of 20kmph. Now, I noticed that whenever I switched the car off, the needle would move downwards a bit. I kept switching on and off with the key and ultimately, the speedo needle is exactly at zero.
Maybe, it has got something to do with the running in period. LOL!
I am such a Ford fanboy!
But, seriously, I don't know when again I shall have to face this problem.
Guys, did you ever face such a problem. Keep checking your speedo everyday and report here if needed.
Old 24th August 2010, 16:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Speedo needs to come to zero when the car comes to a complete halt and has nothing to do with engine being on or off. Only the tacho comes to zero when the engine is off. You have a defective speedo. Better to get it checked even if you are the biggest Ford fanboy. Is your tacho behaving normally?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 23:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

the whole cluster needs to be replaced. Contact the dealership and post what they say.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 00:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Guys!
Surprise! Today, in the morning, the needle was at 10kmph instead of 20kmph. Now, I noticed that whenever I switched the car off, the needle would move downwards a bit. I kept switching on and off with the key and ultimately, the speedo needle is exactly at zero.
Maybe, it has got something to do with the running in period. LOL!
I am such a Ford fanboy!
But, seriously, I don't know when again I shall have to face this problem.
Guys, did you ever face such a problem. Keep checking your speedo everyday and report here if needed.

Just curious, what happens if you try a few more times??? Does it go below zero? (I mean, some cars do not have a visible "stopper" that keeps the needle from going below 0, or going above the max speed marked in the speedo!)

But seriously, you should have gotten it checked ASAP when you found it doing 20 KMPH at idle. Who knows what else is still running, after the car is stopped? Irrespective of the needle resting at 0 now, do have it checked by A.S.S...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 00:59   #12
BHPian

If I try switching on and off a few more times, the needle makes a reverse sweep and reaches 220kmph. How's that?
Old 26th August 2010, 07:36   #13
BHPian

Switch on your diagnostics on the console and check if everything is fine.
1. Turn off your engine with key in the off position.
2. By keeping the odometer reset button pressed, turn on the key in ignition on mode (Do not start as yet).
3. You'll notice that your intrument cluster has moved into the service diagnostic mode. YOu can now alternate between different test modes by clicking the reset button once.
4. YOu can also start your engine and drive in this mode if you want to check the digital speed and digital tacho displayed options to check if they match the analog dials.
5. If you want to exit the mode, just switch off the car and it will be switched off.

PN: Do not try changing the modes whilst driving since it takes your attention off the road. If you want to change an option, move to the side of the road and then change it. Also do not try to reach the reset knob through the steering wheel whilst driving, your hands might block the steering for an emergency.
autoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 08:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
2. By keeping the odometer reset button pressed, turn on the key in ignition on mode (Do not start as yet).
3. You'll notice that your intrument cluster has moved into the service diagnostic mode. YOu can now alternate between different test modes by clicking the reset button once.
Are you referrring to the trip meter reset button found on the instrument cluster. Or is there a seperate odometer reset button. Confused, pls clarify. Any chance of the odo going zero in this experiment.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 09:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
If I try switching on and off a few more times, the needle makes a reverse sweep and reaches 220kmph. How's that?

Now lets get to work, and see what happens when you try what @autoenthusiast has said. Btw, am sure he is referring to the trip meter reset button...
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote