Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th August 2010, 19:59   #1

Default Honda Civic stuck in flash flood

Need some help. This is my first post so please excuse any mistakes I do.

What happened is that last night my dad got stuck in heavy water on roads as a result of raining cats n dogs yesterday in our hometown. The water was about 1.5ft high. Our car Honda Civic 2006 model stopped. He then tried to restart (big mistake... already had a big word with him on that ) After 10-15 mins the car started and he just drove home. It was about a 15 mins drive from where the car was stuck.

Water had entered inside the car. The battery light on the panel also started glowing and didnt go off once the car started.
once home, they tried to dry the car inside, though its still wet. He called the Honda dealership this morning and they would be sending a guy tomorrow to check. Honda advised not to start the car again. I have read some forums and now am in total horror. One post here advised 5.5L for repair. The dealer has further terrified my dad saying 'have to check how much damage is there'

Can anyone please help with what it could be? Apologies, do not have any more details as of now and would be able to provide only once the mechanic has visited our house tomorrow and checked the car.

In the meantime I have asked my Dad to check if his insurance covers floods.. Its with HDFC ERGO, renewed 2 days back only..

Any help appreciated..
mvineet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 20:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

If the engine is sounding normal and behaving normal you have got off easy, otherwise wait for the Honda report.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 21:00   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I am not in India currently, but my dad said the car ran just fine once it started.. I guess would have to wait for the honda report. Just hope they dont try to cheat us just because the engine light does not turn off!
Old 24th August 2010, 21:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

Engine check light can be a failed sensor, fuse etc. So dont worry too much right now, just ask them to do the scan and then see what is wrong.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 21:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Engine check light can be a failed sensor, fuse etc. So dont worry too much right now, just ask them to do the scan and then see what is wrong.
Thanks again. Will advice tomorrow evening (as im 4.5 hrs behind India) once Honda have done the scan.. Hoping for the best. Fingers crossed
Old 24th August 2010, 21:28   #6
BHPian

If he was able to drive for another 15 minutes and could feel nothing different in the drive, then I don't think there is a reason to worry. Keep your fingers crossed for the report and keep us updated.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 21:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just to be safe, do a compression check. Don't worry about absolute numbers, just make sure there isn't more than a 5 psi difference across the 4 cylinders. If that checks out, your car got off lucky.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 21:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Just to be safe, do a compression check. Don't worry about absolute numbers, just make sure there isn't more than a 5 psi difference across the 4 cylinders. If that checks out, your car got off lucky.
How do I do that? Apologies but not aware! Additionally it might be difficult as would have to get dad to do and he is not that technical :(

Thanks SafeDrive! Fingers Crossed!!!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2010 at 22:33. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 24th August 2010, 23:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

A good garage will have a compression tester. It takes 5 minutes and is a diagnostic tool. They will just disconnect the fuel pump fuse, remove the spark plugs, insert a rubber hose in the spark plug hole and crank the car.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:18   #10

@pranavt: Thanks. Have advised dad. the mechanic is coming from Honda authorized workshop, so im guessing he should be bringing all the tools or might take the car..
Old 24th August 2010, 23:19   #11
BHPian

Dear Pranav - how will a engine face decompression in such a case could you please explain.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 23:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
A good garage will have a compression tester. It takes 5 minutes and is a diagnostic tool. They will just disconnect the fuel pump fuse, remove the spark plugs, insert a rubber hose in the spark plug hole and crank the car.
compression tester is nothing but a simple pressure gauge.

If the cars worked properly, i would not worry about compression.

Most sensible thing to do is to disconnect the battery terminal. and let the car dry. Either through a pressure blower. In car like honda ECU is sealed pretty nicely, so no worry there.

PS: Battery indicator light glowing is a sign that alternator and its related rectifier has shorted due to water seepage.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 23:32   #13

@SirAlec: Thanks. Any idea if this means replacement of alternator and how much it costs?
Old 24th August 2010, 23:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Pranav - how will a engine face decompression in such a case could you please explain.
A bent rod or damaged valve could cause loss of compression. That is after assuming that water entered the cylinders. If it did not, all cylinders should be within spec and the compression would be fine.
Old 25th August 2010, 00:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvineet View Post
Need some help. This is my first post so please excuse any mistakes I do.

What happened is that last night my dad got stuck in heavy water on roads as a result of raining cats n dogs yesterday in our hometown. The water was about 1.5ft high. Our car Honda Civic 2006 model stopped. He then tried to restart (big mistake... already had a big word with him on that ) After 10-15 mins the car started and he just drove home. It was about a 15 mins drive from where the car was stuck.

Water had entered inside the car. The battery light on the panel also started glowing and didnt go off once the car started.
once home, they tried to dry the car inside, though its still wet. He called the Honda dealership this morning and they would be sending a guy tomorrow to check. Honda advised not to start the car again. I have read some forums and now am in total horror. One post here advised 5.5L for repair. The dealer has further terrified my dad saying 'have to check how much damage is there'

Can anyone please help with what it could be? Apologies, do not have any more details as of now and would be able to provide only once the mechanic has visited our house tomorrow and checked the car.

In the meantime I have asked my Dad to check if his insurance covers floods.. Its with HDFC ERGO, renewed 2 days back only..

Any help appreciated..
5.5laks ? I doubt the cost can touch such levels ! I think as per my knowledge the damage can be at the max limited to the engine and a couple of elctronic sensors and even in the worst case scenario changing the engine and a couple of sensors wont set you back by 5.5laks! I would be more than happy to be corrected or backed with more info as I am not very familiar with such a situation after effect

Regards
Abhi
zazer is offline   Reply With Quote