Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th August 2010, 18:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Brother, for BMW you are a notch higher. The BMW Service Inclusive Ultimate cover for 5 years, 100,000 kms costs between the range of 5%-10% of the purchase price of the car. With the ALL INCLUSIVE nature of BSI, you can safely assume that this would be the maintenance cost. For my 530d E60, I got a 6 Years 200000 Kms maintenance package. 8% of the car's price.

Wonder when will MB start an All Inclusive Maintenance Program otherwise overzealous AS Managers will continue to take customers for a ride. A 1 year old C Class with a lever broken from inside surely deserves a no cost repair.
My bad. I didn't take BMW's superb BSI secure package into consideration.
I looked at the quotes for the new 7 series and the new 5 series, and they range anywhere between 6% - 12% of the cars cost, for a 5year/100K package. I believe tyres are not included and would take the cost up by 80-100K (for an additional 2 sets of tyres)
Roughly, over 5 years and 100K km, they would average out to around 8% - 14% though, which is more or less average for this class. However, BMW has taken the initiative and once again, my bad for overlooking the BSI package.

I believe Mercedes has launched something similar, but it is more expensive and for 3 years from what I understood from my chat with the dealer. However, there is scope for lots more improvement here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
I'll not subscribe to that statement, My Total cost of ownership on my Accord apart from the purchase has been very negligible. There is this spare part shop from whom i seek all running spares for all my cars and as for Accord here are some of the prices :

I'd call my ownership experience of a Honda very good and considering i had a UNO in past, very very good !!!! Also, the price at company for most products is reasonable for honda atleast . I was getting clutch outside of company which was Taiwan made for about 15000 (Clutch/Pressure Plate/Release Bearing) and i got it changed with Genuine Honda for 21000/- + Tax which i'd call a reasonable price.

So again, there maybe some instances of SOME cars and SOME Showrooms scamming the buyers but not all companies would do that.
My friend, the line highlighted in bold is the key line out here.
For our Mercedes as well, we have found an independent service station who gets it serviced for around Rs. 10K, as opposed to Rs. 40K at the A.S.S.
Similarly, as our headlights had faded, and visibility had dropped to near nil, we had to get them changed. Mercedes was charging 65K for the same unit, which I was getting outside for 30K.
All original stuff. We did get it changed from Mercedes eventually due to time constraints, but my point was if one were to get their cars repaired and serviced at A.S.S., the percentage would be in the region of 10-15% for expensive cars.

Also, as for the Accord, maybe your service station was good, and the car performing very well.
But on the other hand, I know people who have gotten quotes for Rs. 80K to get their CR-V suspension changed.
That is 4% of the cars selling price on its own. Add in new tyres, services, the odd breakage here and there, and voila.

Similarly, our 2001 Accord's electric seats malfunctioned twice, and the A.C. vent broke. While I am not sure of the cost of repairs of the seat, due to the fact that these cars have spares that have to be sold as an unit, and not a single part, the cost goes up.
We had to shell out around Rs. 16K for a new center console for the Accord.
That is 1% of the cars buying cost.

P.S: Guys, I don't mean to create any personal attacks, these are just some of the prices I have actually witnessed and am quoting. Sure there are ways of getting the same job done cheaper from outside sources, but for a car maintained by the company, the spares and the like are usually more expensive.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 18:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Similarly, as our headlights had faded, and visibility had dropped to near nil, we had to get them changed. Mercedes was charging 65K for the same unit, which I was getting outside for 30K.
Just out of curiosity - How long did these head lights last? Number or years or distance -preferably both.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 18:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

The car was bought in October 2004.
Headlight fading has been there for around 2 years. However, it wasn't very bad till last November when I took the pic attached.
Since then, it had faded a bit more and night visibility had dropped as well, forcing us to get it changed a bit over a week ago, as the drivers and me found it difficult to drive in the night.
The car has been driven approx. 56K km as of today and the problem has been there for around 10K km. Even at the dealership, some of the cars I saw showed minute signs of headlight fading.

I believe the facelifted version which was introduced later had Bi-Xenon headlights, which are more powerful as compared to the ones present on our car.

The ownership report can be seen at the following link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0-000-kms.html
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 13:43   #19
BHPian

Default Update!!

sorry guys could not provide an update earlier as was bloody stuck at work.

had sent MB India a mail through their site on 30th Aug.

This enquiry comes from your MB India website:

Name :: Sumit Juneja
Email :: sumitjuneja@hotmail.com
Phone :: 9899******
Address :: 10/1, ***************
State :: Delhi
Enquiry :: We had bought a C 220 CDI last July. The car is a masterpiece and runs like a dream. Everything about it is beautiful!

Until what happened last week! The lever for opening the door from inside on the driver’s door broke. Now all this while we were guessing that some cable must have snapped or something. I took her to T & T Motors, Moti Nagar, New Delhi today. On inspection, it was found that the lever has broken from inside. The lock where the cable sits in the lever is the culprit. The works manager is hell bent that this is not a manufacturing defect and cannot be covered under warranty. Though he acknowledges that this is the first case he has seen in his 4 years with MB till now. He is like you must have pulled it hard or more than the leverage that it is designed to withstand.

I am really disappointed with the way this matter has been handled till now. I was looking for a more customer centric approach from MB being the leader in the Automobile Industry around the world.
Hoping for some light on this from your end.

to this they replied on 2nd sept that they would get in touch with T&T and inform me what can be done within the next 2 working days. 4 days passed and i was getting impatient with the pace at which things were moving. so i mailed them again expressing my disappointment. copy attached

Dear Mr. Roa

It has already been a week since I filed my grievance and 4 days since I last received any reply from your end. This is not very comforting and is really making me rethink about the decision of buying a Mercedes. I would definitely give buying another MB a second thought in future!

One truly disappointed owner!
Sumit
+919899******

to my last mail i get a call directly from MB pune. i was told that they are sending engineers to delhi to inspect the car and they would decide what o do about it.
so yesterday i got a call from T&T that they are here. took her there and after 6 hours get a call that i can come and take the car home. engineers would decide and i will get a call. dint bother them again last evening. and today morning got call from T&T that they have approved the replacement of the entire trim under warranty. even got an official mail from MB confirming the same. phew!!

Dear Mr. Juneja,

This is further to our e-mail dated 2nd September 2010 regarding the subject vehicle.

We are in receipt of the necessary feedback from our dealer M/s. T & T Motors, New Delhi and have the following comments to offer in reciprocation.

With much regret we learnt about the reported matter and the inconvenience caused to your goodself due to the same. In this case, we have advised M/s. T & T Motors to replace the front right door trim on free of cost basis. Accordingly, M/s. T & T Motors will order for the front right door trim on priority and will contact your good office on its receipt. We are sure that M/s. T & T Motors will not spare any efforts in attending the subject vehicle on priority. Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us or M/s. T & T Motors. We value the opportunity to serve you.

While assuring you of our best services, we wish you a very happy motoring experience.

With best regards,
Mercedes-Benz India Private Limited

Vaibhav Adwant Tarkeshwar Rao
Sr. Manager Manager
Customer Service Customer Service

they should get the trim in 15 days and it will be replaced.
will be dropping them a thank you mail once the trim is replaced and show my appreciation.

Moral of the story : dont trust the workshop people for what they say. contact the company directly! taking alil more effort always pays!
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 19:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

I remember having read an article on spare parts prices several years ago(maybe in Y2K) that the alternator of an E Class was approx Rs.2,60,000 ,and for that price one could get an Indica(which was just launched then)
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 09:35   #21
BHPian

Great news Sumit !

Most of the premium car companies are quite sensitive to customer complaints & like you correctly pointed out, better to always contact the company directly & register your case !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

All merc dealers are highly expensive. Ask me! With the biggest merc dealer owner being a patient, i went through a lot of heartache. My car is lying with them since the past 14 days and i'm finally (hopefully) getting her tomorrow.

Anyways, in the future, you should ask the dealer for the part number that's to be replaced. Any good merc spares dealer can get you the same part and half the cost. I needed an aux wire that attaches to behind the COMAND system. The dealer quoted me a rubbish 8K for it. Got my brother to get it from UK. Cost him 20 pounds. He'll send it down with someone. Fitting it is DIY.

I also suggest you become a member of mbworld and benzworld forums. Lot's of info there as well.

EDIT: whatever you do, don't loose the keys. costs 2 lakhs.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 9th September 2010 at 10:39. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:56   #23
BHPian

The Autocar India magazine has a regular 'New Car Price and Details' section at the end. The (negative) comments given about Merc is 'Monstrous Service Costs'.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 17:10   #24
BHPian

Hey Sumit all's well that ends well. Good to hear about the outcome and hopefully your car will be spic and span soon. However having said that its really surprising to see the problem you have faced and i can feel what you must be going through.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 11:52   #25
BHPian

@ Tejas@perioimpl : 2.00 lac for the key? have already lost a key once a couple of months back. though have 0% Depreciation policy on the car but Tata AIG was only offering 5k in lieu of 16000+ the cost of the key. some 5000 odd for the mechanical key, 11000 for the electrical transponder and 1600 for the programming. So dint take a claim for the key.

another thing that caught my attention during service is that they charge you some 380 bucks + tax for test drive of your car. i mean you are driving our car that has come for service, burning our fuel and still charging us good 400+ for a drive to inspect the vehicle. strange!

@ ashish22 : ya man it was so frustrating to make them understand that it wasnt because of wear and tear. but again alls well that ends well!!
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 12:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

A quick scan says it costs $230. May be cheaper to get it from the UK
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 13:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
another thing that caught my attention during service is that they charge you some 380 bucks + tax for test drive of your car. i mean you are driving our car that has come for service, burning our fuel and still charging us good 400+ for a drive to inspect the vehicle. strange!
They might have some kind of insurance covering exclusively for such drives perhaps? You see, if an accident or damage occurs that will definitely going to be a problem for the dealer (terms n conditions notwithstanding) since the car involved here is not an Omni or Nano. I guess the dealer has entered some kind of agreement with an insurer to cover such risks.

Just my guess of course.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 12th September 2010 at 13:50.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 10:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
@ Tejas@perioimpl : 2.00 lac for the key? have already lost a key once a couple of months back. though have 0% Depreciation policy on the car but Tata AIG was only offering 5k in lieu of 16000+ the cost of the key. some 5000 odd for the mechanical key, 11000 for the electrical transponder and 1600 for the programming. So dint take a claim for the key.

A patient had his CLS key stolen from his office. The dealer charged him 2L to get a new key, change the physical locks (including glove compartment) and reprogram the system and the spare key.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 09:53   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
change the physical locks (including glove compartment)
While the key itself would cost 10,000 - 15,000, it's the locks that made up this huge bill. Locks on either door, trunk and glovebox. I remember someone posting on the forum that it cost him Rs. 30,000 to do this on a C segment car (after he lost his key).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 10:25   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw on Auto Trader that even on a lowly FIAT Punto (?) if you lose the Red key it costs £900-1000 (i.e. over Rs.70,000) to replace it. The locks, and the ECU have to be replaced!!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote