Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th September 2010, 10:14   #16
BHPian

Even my Punto exhibits a different character daily. Sometimes it is butter smooth when the weather is cold and as the engine heats up it becomes a bit raucos(not of the extreme kind), sometimes the second gear gives a lot of range and sometimes it becomes very short, sometimes the turbo lag gets more pronounced and sometimes it becomes almost non-existant.

I think Multijets' behavior is a lot influenced by the external temperature.
Experts must be able to tell why it is so.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 11:49   #17

Yes cliffhanger, thats exactly how my car behaves!
fink_ployd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 12:33   #18
BHPian

During cold starts the ECU feeds a much richer air-fuel mixture to the engine till the time its reaches its optimum temperature.

This though marginal, may give a feeling of better power during warm-up
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 12:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fink_ployd View Post
Yes, im guessing the same thing as i have noticed it mostly in the mornings.
Uh, isn't it somewhat how a cold air intake works?
Similar, yes! But not entirely!
Early mornings means the entire air everywhere is cold. Hence better "air-charge". However, cold air intake lets in relatively cooler air. Generally the stock air intake is placed near the vicinity of the radiator, or sometimes even behind it! This means, the air coming in is heated by the radiator. Now, if we have a mechanism to take air before the radiator or anyother heat source, we get relatively cooler air. Hence the name cold air intake. Early morning is best cold air intake possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Even my Punto exhibits a different character daily. Sometimes it is butter smooth when the weather is cold and as the engine heats up it becomes a bit raucos(not of the extreme kind), sometimes the second gear gives a lot of range and sometimes it becomes very short, sometimes the turbo lag gets more pronounced and sometimes it becomes almost non-existant.

I think Multijets' behavior is a lot influenced by the external temperature.
Experts must be able to tell why it is so.
Yes, in terms of diesel cars, there are lots of components like Turbo, intercooler, radiator. All these perform very well when ambient temperature is low. Hence an increase in air charge, hence better feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
During cold starts the ECU feeds a much richer air-fuel mixture to the engine till the time its reaches its optimum temperature.

This though marginal, may give a feeling of better power during warm-up
True Ragzv. However this is the case for Petrols only.
Diesels never run rich! They are always on the lean side. The richest they can get is still on the lean side - say a lambda value of > 1.5 (1 being optimal, < 1 being rich).
lambdaplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 13:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

The feeling of better response when cold is only upto a certain rpm range. If you were to race a cold engine against a warmed up engine, the latter would be more responsive everytime.

Anyone felt the diff in the response after a track session? The engine just goes crazy.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 23:18   #21
BHPian

Hi fink_ployd,

Even my 2 year old Indica V2 (DLS) behaves the same way. The engine makes less noise and sounds very smooth, accelerates fast in early mornings and nights (when the temp needle does not reach till middle). I did not bother about this issue as there seems to be no problems till now with this behavior :-)

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
sriswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 18:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdaplus View Post

@Jomz, EGR doesn't improve engine performance from the torque and power perspective, especially in Diesel! Also, EGR comes into picture at higher temperatures for reducing NOx emissions in Diesels.

I believe the EGR is turned off while engine is cold and just starting - EGR is turned on when the engine is warmed up. If the EGR valve gives more EGR than required - you engine might feel sluggish,

Just an opinion- I might be wrong.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 10:59   #23
BHPian

I believe we had discussed this in another thread, but once again, everyone I know with a turbodiesel agrees that it feels a lot better when the outside temp is cooler.
Example, when I was in Mumbai I used to drive about 100 kms everyday from Navi mumbai to nariman point. I could notice a substantial change in the car's response/engine note once I crossed into mumbai/vice versa.
teknophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 13:34   #24

Any way to have the same performance when the engine turns warm/hot??
fink_ployd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 14:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I am wondering whether the engine needs a thorough decoke!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote